Stomach issues?

Today we are on day 4 of our Whole 30. I spent the whole day cooking massive amounts of chicken, chili and vegetables for the week. Shortly after any time I ate today I would feel like my stomach was full of rocks. This will last a few hours until it would start gurgling and then the feeling would go away. I'm wondering if there is an issue with what I am eating or if it is my body just trying to adjust to the new way of eating.

Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs scrambled with coconut milk, about 1/2 cup of spicy sausage sweet potato hash, 1/2 of a top round thin cut steak. I couldn't finish the steak because I felt full and didn't want to force it down. Another thing to note (and I know this is not good), I didn't eat breakfast until 11am.

Snack: Fresh apple from the farmers market

Dinner: Palm size amount of roasted chicken, 1/3 of a baked large sweet potato, the rest of the plate was lightly sauteed broccoli and string beans in coconut oil.

I probably should have had breakfast earlier but I was so busy cooking I didn't realize what time it was and I didn't feel hungry at all. Having a late breakfast caused me to skip lunch because I wasn't hungry.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Moderators

Some people need to take a digestive enzyme to help as they adjust to eating more protein and fat than they did before. Super Enzymes by Now Foods is popular. You might want to try a digestive enzyme to see if that helps. Having said that, I have days occasionally when my stomach feels overly full after eating a modest amount of food and I am very well adjusted to eating this way after almost 3 years of it. Sometimes, stomach upset reflects a bad day.

Failing to eat within an hour of waking means you missed an opportunity to help realign your hormones into their proper rhythm. It is normal to be hungry when you wake up. It is not normal to not feel hungry for hours after waking. Eating on schedule is a good way to get the rhythm to where it should be.

Also, it looks like you did not eat enough for the day. Part of what makes the Whole30 work as well as it does is getting the nourishment your body truly needs. When you skip a meal or don't eat enough at meals, your body does not get all the nourishment it needs. A body that is not well nourished experiences cravings and hunger, often at inconvenient times.

Hang in there, and eat!

Archived