Starting Sunday 2/18/13...Anyone else?

katonkrew4

I started today (Mon 18th in the US) and would love to be and have an accountability buddy :) I'm excited and trying to look forward to the lovely food I'll be eating rather than thinking about what I'll be missing. I'm spending today chopping and cooking and sorting so I'll have a prepared fridge and pantry. Wish me luck!

I just started Saturday and I feel great! My breakfast are delicious. I chop a bunch of veggies like this morning I chopped brocolli, onions, mushrooms, red bell pepper, garlic, handful of kalamatta olives and threw in some spinach and fried them up in a little olive oil and then added 3 eggs and scrambled it all up. I had that with a small sweet potato and I was set until lunch. I am pretty good at food prep so this didn't take long at all. I am so energized!

I am glad we are all in this boat together.

Yea!!! On my way to bed, feeling like a conquering hero after 2 days with no sugar attacks. One of my daughters has decided to join me, so we had fun planning today for the week. Hope all is going well for all of you. Tomorrow, I'm meeting a friend for lunch, so I'll have to do some planning before that.

Ready for day 3!

Ready for this low grade headache to go away:)! Other than that I am feeling pretty good. I had so much bad food on Saturday that these first 2 days have been , eat whatever you need to get through without caving lol. More snacking than I should be doing. Ate plenty for my meals but still hungry. Today I will concentrate on eating more than plenty for my meals, no snacking and getting a run or wo in.....even if its small.

I made chicken drumsticks last night. Kids love them. I even did an overnight marinade. Big time for me:)! Looking forward to trying the green chicken from Nom Nom.

I need good kid proof meals I can rotate. My family is definitely not Paleo but I would like to continue moving in that direction.

Love that there are a lot of people posting on this thread-how is everyone doing?

Conquered my first day back to work yesterday and the plate of Baklava starring me in the face. I work in a hospital and patients families always want to thank us by bringing in baked goods. Unfortunately a cold has set in. But just like cravings, fatigue and headaches this to shall pass. Hopefully CrossFit will sweat the toxins out. I hope everyone finds the strength today to get through any obstacles that may present themselves.

Headachy today and really missing my tea and coffee. I might have to try it with the coconut cream (I can't drink it black). Did a lovely roast leg of lamb with steamed and roast vegies for dinner last night, which was lovely. If anyone has ideas for a compliant gravy substitute I'd love to hear it :) I made some roast tomato sauce which I used instead...

Hello! I'm on my 2nd day. Taking those before pictures was quite eye-opening. Aaaagh! I guess I was in denial about that belly. I know from past experience that removing sugar and grains shrinks it down, so I'm excited for that.

I'm good at starting out strong, then getting tired and fizzling out. So, I'm going to stay on top of my triggers. When I get tired (most afternoons) I don't want to cook. I think leftovers will help with that and some quick meals. Telling myself I don't have to cook for the whole family will help. They can survive on cold cereal if needed while I take care of myself. I'm a sucker for when my daughter asks to bake cookies together, so I'll play with her instead, we can pretend in her kitchen.

Good work to us all for being here!

Hi everyone! I started yesterday. I'm so hungry! Any tips on snacking?

I feel like I had plenty to eat today: cabbage, an aidell's chicken and apple sausage, and an egg for breakfast; a tiny salad with a minuscule amount of chicken and no dressing (disappointing order from a restaurant on campus) and a larabar for lunch; a small steak and a portobello mushroom for dinner; an orange and some nuts as snacks throughout the day. I only finished dinner about an hour ago and I'm hungry again. This seems to be the general pattern so far.

I know cutting down on snacking is one of the goals of the Whole30, but I feel like it's hard to not eat often when I'm so hungry...I don't feel that it's right to deprive myself. Any thoughts?

KateyDager- maybe find a way to add an extra fat and/or protein serving to your morning meal, like extra coconut oil on the veggies and an extra egg. Pack a lunch so you don't get trapped at school with only lettuce and chicken. And I learned last time to totally rethink what a snack is and make it fit the template of protein+veg+fat, which is no easy task when you are on the go all day. What ended up working for me was making extra breakfast and lunch and bringing a container of the leftovers with me- that way I was still getting all my nutrients. After a couple weeks I flipped the switch to "fat adapted" and didnt need snacks anymore. Good luck and love your profile pic! That's on my todo list....

So, I am starting the Whole 30 today! I have attempted this many times before only to make an excuse as to why I need to stop and start over again later. I have had no accountability before so I know for me this is key. This time I plan on posting every single day. If anyone is looking for an accountability partner, I'd love one!

How are you doing today? I hope you have had great success these past few days. I've been sick the last two days. Like in bed sick, down and out. This has actually made things a little easier because I have no appetite. Thank goodness I did some power cooking on Sunday, when I do want to eat I have the right foods to feed this cold with. Praying I turn a corner soon. It's back to work Friday! Please update and let me know how your doing. I hope this forum is helping you with any challenges you may be facing.

KateyDager- maybe find a way to add an extra fat and/or protein serving to your morning meal, like extra coconut oil on the veggies and an extra egg. Pack a lunch so you don't get trapped at school with only lettuce and chicken. And I learned last time to totally rethink what a snack is and make it fit the template of protein+veg+fat, which is no easy task when you are on the go all day. What ended up working for me was making extra breakfast and lunch and bringing a container of the leftovers with me- that way I was still getting all my nutrients. After a couple weeks I flipped the switch to "fat adapted" and didnt need snacks anymore. Good luck and love your profile pic! That's on my todo list....

Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like I probably do need more fat to stay full. Today I packed my own lunch which was definitely better, but I was still hungry soon after! I guess part of it is just the adjustment period.

This forum is a terrific accountability and encouragement system! I keep thinking throughout the day that I don't want to have to write to all of you that I gave in. I'm also having trouble making it all the way between meals without a snack. I've had either an apple with macadamia nuts or sugar snap peas with almond butter. I know that last one sounds strange, but it really is tasty and super quick. SamA, hope you feel better really soon. And good luck to all the rest of you. We've knocked out 4 days already!

@Zippy I hate to jinx myself, but I have been struggling with plantar fasciitis for over a year now and it appears to have gone away. I'm on Day 12 of my first Whole 30.

Now, disclaimer, it's been really snowy and freezing cold, so I have not been doing my usual long walks with the dog, so it could be that, but my foot always used to hurt in the morning regardless of the amount I walked.

So, good luck!!!

To both of you, I have plantar fasciitis(and a whole host of other foot issues) as well. I am only on Day 3, so if diet has any affect on it, I doubt I would be feeling it yet. The only thing that really helps me so far is stretching, icing, and rest, though I'm sure you both know about those treatments. I have, however, noticed that I have less foot pain when I am lighter, so losing some weight through healthy eating will definitely help me out.

I have tried everything to "cure" my PF....acupuncture, icing, "foot wakers," the night boot, shoe inserts (but not fancy orthotics), and the ProStretch. I went to the podiatrist and comfirmed that I had heel spurs that were most likely causing the continued inflammation. None of that worked.

But, this seems to be doing the trick. I took the kids sledding and did a lot of walking up hill and my foot is not achy or painful.

Fingers crossed. I hope this helps you too!! And, honestly, even if doesn't, you're right, you'll be healthier anyway and maybe drop some pounds, which does help.

I feel like I had plenty to eat today: cabbage, an aidell's chicken and apple sausage, and an egg for breakfast; a tiny salad with a minuscule amount of chicken and no dressing (disappointing order from a restaurant on campus) and a larabar for lunch; a small steak and a portobello mushroom for dinner; an orange and some nuts as snacks throughout the day. I only finished dinner about an hour ago and I'm hungry again. This seems to be the general pattern so far.

I know

I'm not an expert but it doesn't look like you are eating enough. one egg and a sausage is not enough for breakfast imo. I know that the quantity of food your body really needs is a little hard to believe at first. Try upping the protein and fat at each meal and see what that does. I like Tom the Mod's post which stated that he tries to eat enough at each meal that he doesn't even think of food for 4-5 hours. I'm shooting for that now and I feel so much better. Not even hungry for snacks last night or today.

Wrapping up day 5! Was very very tired this morning! I think I just need to get to bed earlier. Felt weak in the late am and then good all the rest of the day, eating extra food when needed. Feeling like I'm back on autopilot and no cravings. Just living , happily:). Balanced food with eggs, sweet potatoes, chocolate chili, baked chicken, greens, tomatoes and avo dressing, grapes and blueberries. I am so not depriving myself:)!

Day 5 - woohoo! Still no sugar. Getting easier each day

Great job! It will keep getting easier and easier. When I walked into work this morning I was met with a plate of brownies. Actually 5 different varieties of brownies. I didn't budge. Then at 3 this afternoon someone brought in chocolate cake that everyone raved "was worth the calories". I had no desire to try the cake. I was the only one at 5 who wasn't complaining how tired they were. I'm at day 8 and its quite the accomplishment when you can look at food, remember how you use to feel and know you don't want to go back to that. Ever!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived