Chorizo Sweet Potato Hash

Johnny M

If you're lucky enough to find a chorizo that is made with all approved ingredients (try specialty butchers - I have one in San Francisco) then you need to make this.

1. Melt some fat in a pan...I used coconut oil but clarified butter would have been nice
  2. Cook 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves until fragrant
  3. Add 1 peeled cubed sweet potato, 1/2 diced onion, .5 lbs chopped chorizo, several pinches of smoked paprika and oregano
  4. Cover and cook around 8 minutes to soften sweet potatoes and cook chorizo
  5. Uncover and cook until browned to your liking (if you brown and caramelize the onions and crisp the potatoes you'll thank me)
  6. Top with fried eggs.

Makes about 2 servings

457650_328036987277078_806442870_o.jpg

That looks awesome Johnny! I can't seem to find approved chorizo anywhere here..yet! Making me crazy.

I couldn't even find any in the supermarkets in Spain, you really have to find an artisan producer I think.

It was so good I can barely look at the photo because I want to leave work and eat the rest. I have never had much luck finding good sausage and definitely not chorizo but I just moved and there is a boutique type of butcher shop near me that is AMAZING.

I want to eat my screen. Yes, you did provide that link (Mulay's) in another post a while ago that I took note of back then. I think I searched to see if I could find it here and now I can't remember my results. I will do it again.

I was wondering what happened to you! Moving - BLAAACH!

yeah had a rough few weeks that involved international travel, lots of meetings, moving, and eventually falling off the wagon hardcore but I'm back! I have an event this month to get through then I'm starting a new whole30 and going to work through a bunch of new recipes!

Thanks Tom, I will check my Whole Foods again.

Johnny - oooh, international travel combined with moving could be a recipe for disaster for me! I am not "technically" working on a Whole30, but I still am eating W30 style. BUT, this weekend I had enough treats for everyone on this forum. So everybody, RELAX, I took care of ALL your sweet-tooth problems this weekend. All by myself.

That looks divine Johnny! I hope I can find some W30 compliant chorizo so I can try it this week!

DervalC-don't suppose you know of any in shops here? I'm guessing you don't, given that you brought some all the way from Spain! Wonder would the Farmer's Market at Farmleigh have an artisan supplier? Or that organic butcher's in Terenure (John Downey)-he might stock some. Must give them a buzz tomorrow and see.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks yummy. I must try it. Luckily, I have found only ONE kind of sausage at my local Whole Foods that is W30 compliant......and it happens to be chorizo! Also, I LOVE smoked paprika. I think you could put it on cardboard and it would taste amazing. ;)

• 1 year later...

What's in the more commonly available chorizo that makes it illegal for W30?? just wondering as  I purchased some chorizo from my local community market, New Leaf in Pleasanton...Unfortunately, I've already eaten it so I'm wondering what's in it so I can ask next time I'm there...And start over if need be. <sigh> Thankfully I'm only 2 days into it....

Thanks,

Nancy

What's in the more commonly available chorizo that makes it illegal for W30?

The most common problem ingredient in sausages is sugar (or honey, or evaporated cane syrup or dextrose or malodextrin...whatever they feel like calling sugar on the package). Sometimes sausages will have other off-plan ingredients too. That said, in my area it is pretty easy to find compliant sausages, you just have to read labels carefully.

Thank you for the information. I know to ask about sugars in bacon but it never occurred to me it might be in sausage. Doh! This chorizo was homemade by the folks at New Leaf so no label to read. I'll just have to ask next time I'm there. For now, the rest of the chorizo is frozen until I can verify the ingredients. Dang! I was really looking forward to trying that hash recipe!

Thanks again!

Archived