cough syrup fail

I am on day 17 and overall doing GREAT. I do have a wicked dry cough, though, and last night I couldn't fall asleep despite my Vicks humidifier and bedtime tea. So for my husband's sake as well as mine, around 1 am I took some Robitussin.

I really really really don't want to start over :( ...but I will if I must. I am planning to stay Whole30 until Easter.

Also, any advice what to do if this cough lingers?

medication trumps the whole30 guidelines, so if you felt you needed this as medication I would just carry on.

in the future, this is a tough one. even the most "healthy" cough syrups have sugar or honey in them. you might try adding lemon and/or ginger to your tea, though, and see if that helps.

• Moderators

Missmary is right. There are herbal teas with names like Throat Coat that I drink when my throat is scratchy or sore. They probably don't work as well as full on cough medicine, but they have always been enough to satisfy my needs. You should use your discretion about what you do.

More broadly, while I view something like Robitussin as medicine, I don't have a similar view of cough drops. In my opinion, cough drops are bad candies and not something anyone doing a Whole30 should use.

I'll admit it - I woke up feeling a little miffed. I thought W30 was supposed to make me feel great and strengthen my immunity, but today is day 19 and I am so sick with a full blown head cold. WAHHHHH! Can you hear the violins? :unsure:

I can relate to the tiny violins! :lol: Hey, isn't this W30 supposed to cure all ills and create world peace? Overall, on day 29, I feel much better in many areas. However, along the way, I have had some bumpy patches.Still do. And each time, I sort of get indignant. Like "Hey, I am providing the effort and the cosmos should reward me with, um, perfect health now?"

I remind myself of my daughter, when she was very little. She had learned to brush her teeth by herself, was very proud to do it for quite a while, and then not so much. She asked me why she had to do it every single day, twice a day. She wanted to know when this teeth brushing business would be over. And I had to explain that it was going to last the rest of her life, lol.

Archived