Cream in coffee

David W Dudich

Been on the Whole30 a week now. Most difficult part is drinking my coffee black. Have tried almond milk and mimiccreme - just not a good substitute. P 134 - Exceptions - of It Starts With Food seems to indicate heavy cream is ok and they say they will talk more about it in the More Healthy section, but they don't. So what is the harm of adding a little heavy (whipping) cream to my coffee - its not like I am drinking a half-gallon of milk a day like I used to?

Do you need something to cool the coffee or do you need to alter the flavor to drink it?

I make coffee ice cubes to cool the coffee enough to drink it.

I add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the coffee to make it palatable enough to drink. That also helps get some fat into my diet in the morning. Breakfast is the meal I struggle most with protein, veggie, added fat. Small window to get ready, small child to get out of the house, unhelpful husband, etc... I'm often not eating breakfast until 3-4 hours after I get up. Not ideal and I'm working on it...

Hi David, on page 134 when the book talks about heavy cream being 'more healthy' it's in comparison to reduced-fat dairy. So after a W30, if you want to add dairy back into your diet then full fat would be more healthy that reduced fat. However they go on to say that whether dairy is healthy or not is complicated and depends on many factors, so self experimentation is needed. "Remove dairy from your diet for thirty days, so you can evaluate the effects the milk sugars and proteins are having on you......until you try it for yourself you'll never know"

Like everything else the W30 asks you to give up it's so afterwards you can see just what effect it has on you. If you keep some in your diet, however little, you're not going to get a clear picture. You deserve to get the best results you can and the only way to do that is to totally eliminate all non compliant foods for 30 days, and all dairy falls into this category.

I don't know what mimicreme is, I've never seen it over here but it's very difficult to get compliant almond milk unless you make your own as all the ones over here anyway contain carrageenan or other gut disruptors. Most people do get used to drinking coffee black if they stick with it but many also like to add coconut oil or coconut milk which gives it a creamier taste. Good luck

Maybe you need a better tasting/quality coffee? It's only for 30 days so maybe indulge and splurge and get a fantastic coffee for the month.

I now prefer mine black and I was a heavy cream user for 30+ years. I was one of those "pry it from my cold dead hands" type of cream and coffee drinkers too.

Maybe you need a better tasting/quality coffee? It's only for 30 days so maybe indulge and splurge and get a fantastic coffee for the month.

I now prefer mine black and I was a heavy cream user for 30+ years. I was one of those "pry it from my cold dead hands" type of cream and coffee drinkers too.

I was just going to suggest this.... Not all coffee is created equal.....actually most of it is outright crap!

After trying 100's of coffee/ espresso beans ( I'm a professional chef), my favorite commercially available product is Kimbo extreme followed by Miscela D'Oro Espresso Natura ( the later being organic and fair trade certified)

I can drink good coffee black any day and actually prefer it ..... Most coffee producers know that most pour tons of creamer/ sugar/ flavored into coffee, so they give the cheapest product available.

Most coffee producers know that most pour tons of creamer/ sugar/ flavored into coffee, so they give the cheapest product available.

Exactly! Some of the "gourmet" coffees I've tasted are vile. I'm not a connoisseur by any means.. I'm your average grocery store/amazon shopper and I just want a smooth, rich coffee that doesn't taste bitter and won't break the bank.

After trying 100's of coffee/ espresso beans ( I'm a professional chef), my favorite commercially available product is Kimbo extreme followed by Miscela D'Oro Espresso Natura ( the later being organic and fair trade certified)

Fender, I see that both of those are espresso roasts. Do you make espresso or do you make regular coffee but using these beans?

Terez

David,

You may want to try a compliant version of "bulletproof coffee." It results in a surprisingly creamy beverage. Put a cup of hot, freshly brewed coffee in a blender with a generous tablespoon of ghee (or clarified butter) and a half a teaspoon of coconut oil. (Those proportions are open to interpretation!)

Blend the concoction. I run mine on high for 10 seconds. It emulsifies into a beautiful "coffee with cream" color. The taste is rich and delicious. Not exactly like cream but it's satisfying. (If your ghee is on the dark side, there'll be a butterscotch note in the taste.)

I can clean my blender in about 90 seconds so I just do my clean-up real quick before drinking the coffee. Some folks use a frother and some use an immersion blender. I found it messy with an immersion blender, and I prefer the result from the big blender.

Terez

Fender, I see that both of those are espresso roasts. Do you make espresso or do you make regular coffee but using these beans?

Terez

Espresso and cafe americano mostly.... Sometimes I'll brew a French press with it....

I love espresso roast.... The Kimbo is very complex without the slightest hint of bitterness or acid....very expensive though..

I have found where the coffee die hards hang out! Exciting.

I agree with Terez about the bullet proof coffee. After my first W30 the first thing I added back in was cream in my coffee. I left me both unimpressed...and surprised because I was so unimpressed.. Wound up going back to BP coffee as a preference...never saw that one coming!

I have found where the coffee die hards hang out! Exciting.

I agree with Terez about the bullet proof coffee. After my first W30 the first thing I added back in was cream in my coffee. I left me both unimpressed...and surprised because I was so unimpressed.. Wound up going back to BP coffee as a preference...never saw that one coming!

I agree. Not drinking coffee right now, but BP made in the blender is the best coffee ever.

Archived