30 Wasn't Enough

lauriemc

I did my first Whole30 in January and had great results. I am not one of those who have gone from a "pretty much eating Paleo" to a Whole30 to clean things up a bit. It was a pretty big change for me. I had hit my all time high at 209 lbs. (I am 5'2") I have done many diets in my life and am well versed in what I "should" eat. (or what I thought I should eat) I just could never really stick to anything. I would go to Weight Watchers and expect to lose weight by just attending the meetings, but not really changing my eating too much. When I was in my 20's, I could barely change my habits and drop weight like a champ. I am now in my 40's and not so much. I lost 25 lbs on WW a few years back, but couldn't even manage to get to that lately. I would try for a while and give up.

Fast forward to December 30, 2012. A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she was going to do a Whole30 starting Jan 1. So, I quickly bought the book on iBooks, engulfed myself in this website and started on Jan 1. It was a life changer for me. I lost about 15 lbs, had a ton of energy, and was just feeling great. My husband did it too and we are both sold on this life style.

In the first two weeks of Feb, we did some reintroduction, but really didn't have the intention of adding much back in. Then last week came which included both my birthday and Valentine's Day. I found myself falling quickly back into my trap of "it is my birthday, so...." or this excuse, that excuse. So, I have learned that I need more than 30 days of being hard core to break those excuses.

I am back and planning on going 60 days this time and re-evaluating when I get close to the end of that. I just need to go a while with strict rules of what I can and cannot eat before I am ready to remove the training wheels. My goal this time is to be better planned, do a lot of prep for the week on Sunday, and double up what I cook to have left overs for lunches. Also, I was barely working out last time. This time I am stepping that up.

My daughters (12 and 9) have decided that they want to cut sugar out for the next two weeks. I thought that was a good first step for them.

I am starting day #3. Though it doesn't feel like day #3 since I started Jan 1 and really only took a week off. But, the fact that I went totally "off" so fast made me realize I need to be hard core for longer. Hard core is a funny word for this because it really isn't that hard. It seems like it is going to be and some things are a little more challenging, but for the most part, I don't find it hard and I don't find myself missing things. Any other "diet" I have tried (mostly Weight Watchers type plans) left me always wanting what I felt like I couldn't have. Yes, you can technically "eat anything" on Weight Watchers, but I felt more deprivation on that than I do cutting out grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol, legumes. That doesn't seem like it should be right, but that is the truth. When your body is getting the kinds of food it really needs, you don't really feel deprived.

Food Log for the last few days:

Monday:

Breakfast -- sautéd spinach & mushrooms with some organic chicken sausage

Lunch -- why can't I remember this now...it was only two days ago. haha

Dinner -- Pork Roast (oh my gosh it was good...made it in my new Cuisinart Multi Cooker), Roasted Beets & Sweet Potatoes, sautéd beet greens. Seriously...this meal was so good. The only negative is that I didn't buy enough beets and wish I had more.

Tuesday:

Breakfast -- sautéd spinach & mushrooms with scrambled eggs

Lunch -- left over pork roast, salad, carrots, grapes, macadamia nuts

Dinner -- Spaghetti squash with meat sauce (grass fed ground beef, crushed & diced tomatoes, spices (the kids LOVE this)

---snacked a little on cashews

Wednesday:

Breakfast -- sautéd spinach & mushrooms, chicken sausage (seeing a pattern?)

Lunch -- Plan to eat left over pork roast, salad, more veggies, maybe some fruit

Dinner -- Plan to eat salmon, green beans, salad

My biggest things I have discovered so far:

1) nuts. I find myself getting hungry and grabbing a handful of macadamia nuts, cashews, or hazelnuts. Though these are all good and on plan, I find myself "snacking" which is not on plan.

2) Work out -- I have been busy so far this week. Getting ready to work out now. It needs to move up on my priority scale.

3) Sadly, I don't think I can eat eggs. I love eggs. But they don't seem to sit well with me.

4) I am having two cups of coffee a day. I think I should go down to 1 and switch to tea. I love coffee.

5) Sleep!!!!! I need to get more sleep. I am really bad at getting myself to bed at a reasonable hour. I am so tired in the morning even with 6 1/2- 7 hours of sleep. Once I am up, I feel energized, but it is hard for me to wake up.

Definitely some things to work on, but this is going in the right direction.

Archived