Day 1 of my first W30 - 2/18

louise2658

Hi Everyone,

Well today is day 1. Officially. I have been flirting with paleo and reading the Whole9 and Whole30 websites and going gluten free and dairy free, but now I am officially in. I'm nervous. Very nervous. I am afraid of giving up my Splenda in my tea. Yes. I actually decided to do this and cheat from day 1 by using Splenda. Theoretically, I should be on day 5. But I'm not. I'm now on day one and have decided to come clean and give up Splenda and any added hidden sugar in my foods. My tea does not taste the same. So, I am probably going to give up the tea, also, which is a bummer. But it just doesn't taste as good. I'm also a type 1 diabetic, so I am trying to fit all that in with this new way of eating. I have also recently gone through menopause and am trying to lose weight so that I feel and look healther.

I'd love to find a buddy to help me stay motivated! Anyone?

Hi Louise! I am like you. I researched paleo and browsed all the Whole9/Whole30 material for a couple months before I dived in. My biggest issue was giving my normal breakfast of oatbran, yogurt, cottage cheese, stevia, walnuts, etc. My breakfasts now are very satisfying and I didn't think they would be.

I will be your buddy. I am on day 3 and giving up a serious stevia addiction. I put stevia in coffee, tea, lemon water and breakfast. I actually feel pretty good about not having it, although my morning coffee is a little hard core. Don't be nervous, I will cheer you on! Who needs artificial sweeteners anyway? We do not!

Juliette

Good Morning Lousie,

Like you, I've been flirting with Paleo for several weeks. My addiction is not to Stevia, but to chocolate. I am determined this time - I can beat this!

Like you, I am dealing with menopause, and trying to lose a few pounds while cleaning up my diet.

So far I feel great - had a lovely breakfast of sweet potato, mixed berries and nut butter - yummy!

Hope your journey is successful.

Kerry

Hi everyone, I also started day 1 on Feb 18, had a pretty good day until about 6pm when the caffeine withdrawal headache kicked in. I've been low carb for a while but my addiction is toast (all carbs really) and I'm really going to miss my daily toast for breakfast )with peanut butter and banana) I'm missing my tea and coffee the most so far- I drink it white with 1 sugar and can't drink it black, so I'm going without. Like you Louise I'm struggling with menopause and insulin resistance and have been trying to lose weight for the last 8 months with limited success. I'd love to buddy up with someone too so we can support each other. (I'm an aussie living in Boston at the moment).

Hi Juliette, Jayseaklein, Celeste and Kerry,

Thanks for your replies. So far, so good. This morning I had baked eggs in an avocado half with pancetta and tomato. Not too bad, although the egg was overcooked for my taste and too big for the whole, so a lot of it spilled out. But, it was good.

I'm finding that although I thought I planned well, preparing 3 meals a day for me, my husband and son takes a lot of planning. I didn't realize how much we ate out! I think I am going to have to prepare ahead some "mixed ground meat and veggie" stir fries as a go to item in the fridge. Good luck to us all and let me know what is going on with you all! Thanks for getting in touch.

Louise

Hi Alison,

Welcome aboard! I am a green tea drinker, but am missing my sweetener. I tried it today with a little bit of fruit juice in it. (i just dumped the leftover juice from a container of oranges and pineapple into my tea. Not more than 1/2 c. at most) Not great, but better than no tea, which is what I did yesterday. Perhaps apple juice or white grape juice might do the trick?

I also started yesterday (officially) but I did spend Fri-Sun also Whole30 compliant.

A couple things I've noticed, chronic heartburn is gone, just gone. I haven't had to take any antacid medication since Friday and have had almost no discomfort, this is huge for me. Second, I'm a lot less moody, things that would frustrate me easily are just not as big of a deal as they used to be.

My fear is caving in to sugar, dairy or cabs. I've been on & off gluten for a few years, so don't feel terribly challenged by it, but when stress hits food is my go to answer.

My strategy so far was to the farmers market on Sunday and fill my fridge with local veg & fruit. After the farmers market, I hit Costco and loaded up on grass fed beef, pork & organic chicken. Just about everything else I looked at there had hidden sugar, soy or seed oil. I thought I was good at reading labels, but clearly I missed more than I realized. When I got home I cooked up a storm, baked up some sweet potatoes, squash & beets. Grilled a couple steaks, pork chops and chicken breasts and cooked up some ground beef with onions & garlic and made mayo & clarified butter. All told it took most of the day, but meals since have been ridiculously easy.

Monday breakfast I fried up some sweet potatoes with cayenne pepper and topped them with fried eggs (inspired by Nom Nom Paleo)

Monday lunch I heated up some of the ground beef with taco seasoning, put it on top of lettuce with fresh tomato and half an avocado

Monday dinner I cooked some onion, celery and carrot, added garlic & ginger, chicken and broth and made a soup. To serve it I filled my bowl with fresh spinach, ladled the chunky soup on top and it was great.

Tuesday breakfast was an egg & spinach omelette with a tiny tangerine.

Today I'm back at work and have packed a great big lunch to get me through the day - greens, chicken, oil & vinegar, roasted beets, hazelnuts and some strawberries.

I'm not going to lie, that's quite a lot of effort to eat, but I'm feeling really enthusiastic and I love to cook, so its been fun for me so far.

This sounds great Jen, and a bit like I did yesterday- I also cooked up ground beef, lamb, salmon(for salmon cakes) and chicken, made a beef broth, roast tomato and pepper sauce and a vinaigrette and cut up a heap of salad vegies. Breakfast yesterday (and today) was a 3 egg omelette with heaps of pepper (capsicum), celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken and tomato, topped with avocado. Lunch today was a huge green salad with warmed up chicken, dinner tonight I'm planning steak with steamed greens and baked sweet potato. My fear is giving into the craving for a sweet cup of tea- I'm really missing this. I've been low carb high protein for a while now but still had my cups of tea and coffee and morning toast. Food is also my go to when I'm bored, so I guess the answer will be to kepe busy and try to stay away from the things that I usually do with a cuppa. I miss the ritual as much as anything else- sitting down with a cuppa and reading. I shopped at Whole foods but still had trouble finding grass fed meats (and it was expensive)- we've just let our Costco membership lapse as we mostly shop at BJ's- does anyone know if they also have grass fed meats?

So day nine for me - and it was a tough day. I am finding myself quite tired, and I broke out in eczema on my arms - not quite sure what that is about, but I am so looking forward to the second half of the Whole 30 and the boost in energy that comes with it!

Food wise I am doing well - precooked and froze my protein, and am adding that to roasted veg or salads with lots avocado for lunch and supper.

I have been eating sweet potato with raw nut butter and berries for breakfast almost every day - it is delicious. I would love to have a smoothie, but have not been able to source out almond milk without the forbidden additives.

Hope you all are doing well - look forward to hearing how your Whole 30 is progressing

Just thought I'd check in to see how everyone's going? I'm on day 10 and this is probably my toughest day so far! I'm craving a familiar cup of tea or coffee (with milk and sugar in it) and finding that black just doesn't cut it. I got tired and hungry on a road trip to Martha's VIneyard yesterday (managed to stay compliant by eating a freshly cooked lobster for lunch- that was pretty tough- NOT!). But a few late nights and hunger yesterday have caught up today and I'm craving my go-to comfort of a cup of milky sweet coffee. I'm staying strong though but would LOVE to hear how you guys are going to help me keep on track and not cave!

So day nine for me - and it was a tough day. I am finding myself quite tired, and I broke out in eczema on my arms - not quite sure what that is about, but I am so looking forward to the second half of the Whole 30 and the boost in energy that comes with it!

Food wise I am doing well - precooked and froze my protein, and am adding that to roasted veg or salads with lots avocado for lunch and supper.

I have been eating sweet potato with raw nut butter and berries for breakfast almost every day - it is delicious. I would love to have a smoothie, but have not been able to source out almond milk without the forbidden additives.

Hope you all are doing well - look forward to hearing how your Whole 30 is progressing

Hi I was wondering where you got your compliant nut butter? I haven't been able to find any

Hi everyone! My name is Betsy, I live in Los Angeles, and I am on Day 12. I think this means I started the day before you, but it's so close that I thought I'd say hi and check in.

How's everyone managing? I had a major grocery shopping venture today--Costco and a good-sized "ethnic" market that has the best and best priced produce that I have found so far. For example--lemons 10 for 99 cents, cucumbers 7 for 99 cents, avocados 2 for 99 cents, etc.

My Costco does not have grass-fed anything, to answer a question earlier in the thread. And I am in Los Angeles, where people are supposedly so health conscious. But I have read on here that some Costcos do have it. Mine *does* have organic ground beef and organic chicken breasts and thighs. That's all the organic meat I have found. And, there are fresh as well as frozen organic chicken breasts.

I have been doing pretty well so far. I have a host of medical conditions, so I am really hoping for improvement in some of them as this goes along. And actually, I have had a major reduction in headaches already. I usually get them most days, and I have not gotten one in 10 days on the plan. This is a big deal for me.

I am a bit worried about this most recent grocery trip though, as I had to purchase a bunch of non-compliant stuff for my husband, and it's some of my favorites--cheese and bagels. My husband was going to do this with me, but he opted out and asked me to get him a bunch of no-nos at the store today. I hope I will be able to stand strong, especially because I have sleep-eaten before, no joke.

Ok, enough outta me. Hope you all are doing well today!

Well, I've reached the half way point, and am so glad I stuck with the plan! Starting to feel the benefits, including way more energy!

I had a lovely lunch yesterday of shrimp/mango/lime salad in a nice ripe avacodo - it was a delicious treat!

Today I plan on doing my food prep for the week - I really do find pre-cooking my protein very helpful. Today's plan is for Italian style meatballs, a curry of some kind and maybe a pork roast? We shall see.

Hope you are all doing well with your journey - would love to hear how you are making out so far.

Archived