My poor nails!!

I suppose this isn't really a problem with the W30 but thought I'd throw it out there since it seems to be worsened by washing all these darn dishes! =)

My fingernails have always been remarkably weak. They're soft and flimsy, and the layers peel away at the drop of a hat. I don't own a nail file b/c it's basically like shredding mozzarella.

I'd read some success stories of people having stronger hair and nails at the end of their W30.

I'm on day 12 and my nails have gotten WORSE! Like way worse. At this point I'm worried they'll peel down and expose my nail bed on a couple fingers...

I've been drinking bone broth, though admittedly it didn't really gel. The only reason I can think as to why my nails would be getting weaker is that I don't have a dishwasher and have been washing soooooo many dishes!

Does anybody else have experience with this? Any suggestions? I really dislike supplements but at this point I'm considering adding biotin...

I suffer from the same nail issue but I actually think mine are getting stronger now (day 18!). My nails have always peeled even though I've never had any deficiencies. My only tip would be to keep them painted all the time which I find is the best way to prevent them from peeling. I'm sure all the dishwashing isn't helping!

Sorry I don't have more suggestions but I think there is hope - I feel both my nails and hair getting stronger!

My nails were much like yours when I wasn't eating paleo/W30. For the first time in my life I would actually say they are strong. Strongest they have ever been. And I'm really happy about it! I honestly don't know when they started getting stronger, but I'll take this "side effect that I just noticed" any day!

I don't have a dishwasher either. I have to use gloves when washing dishes.

If you have a Costco, they have excellent gloves at an amazing price ($7 for a package of nine pairs of gloves). My brother-in-law used them at Christmas and ended up looking all over where he lived trying to find ones like them. There is something about the lining of the Costco gloves that makes them more comfortable than other "rubber" gloves.

I'm on day 12 and my nails have gotten WORSE! Like way worse.

Sorry, I have no additional suggestions for how to protect your nails in the coming weeks.

But here is an explanation for what's happening:

Your nails are dead, just like your hair. Diet makes no difference to the nails already on your fingers or the hair already on your head.

So your worsening nails are most likely a result of the increased dishwashing.

However, your nails WILL get better if you stick with this. Anything your body grows from now on has the benefit of the super nutrition your body is getting now. Just takes a while for those new nails to grow out and reach the tips of your fingers.

(Yes, I too keep reading of people who miraculously report better nails and hair within a short time. With hair I can imagine it as the oils your scalp produces may change and so the hair looks and feels different. But the nails? Just be patient. They'll get better.)

Actually, I just had a thought regarding the better nails in a short time...

If nails start to grow faster, then they cop less abuse before they need to be clipped again anyway, so maybe that makes them seem stronger?

During my 30 my nails went down to the bed too. I *have * a dishwasher and I wash a ton of dishes to keep up. I've been following a 4 day on and 3 day off since I finished my Whole30 on Feb 2nd and my nails have been growing back stronger.

Archived