Scared out of my mind

natashajulian

I have always had problems with food. I remember starting my first diet when I was 12 or 13. Twenty years later I'm still struggling with, well, everything.

The reason I chose to Whole30 because of the endless digestive problems I've been having. For the first time in my life I am doing something purely for health reasons instead of vanity. I'm scared out of my mind that I won't be able to do this, even though I can. I don't want the thoughts in my head to sabotage what I need to do in order to live a long and healthy life.

The first day is under my belt and I feel a lot better, although I know that this is going to be the easiest part of my journey.

Think of this as a wonderful way to take care of yourself. Learning to eat for true nourishment is the first step towards a lifetime of health.

Eating this way changed my life, and I have only been at it for a few months. Your mind will likely play a few nasty tricks on you along the way, but it's ok to tell it to be quiet. The first few weeks are the hardest, then when you start to feel better you will not want to give that up easily.

There is this basic therapy tool that is used for breaking habits/addictions, or for basic goal setting. Write all the reasons why you want to do this on once side of an index card or even a blank business card. Cram as much as you can on there. On the other side write your ultimate goal. Keep it in your pocket all day, every day. When you are feeling burned out or tempted, read your goal and reasons why you want to reach your goal. Then read it again.

You can do this!

One day at a time. One meal at a time. One bite at a time. That is how I did it. You can do it!! Just don't look at it as 30 days. That was overwhelming to me. Look at it as one small piece at a time. It's easy to eat one clean meal. Then do it all over again... and before you know it, the 30 days are gone and you might just want to keep on going!

Don't let your fear rule... grab it by the short hairs, kick it in the a$$, and take charge. You are worth it! You're worth taking charge, taking care of yourself, and feeling better... one meal at a time, one day at a time. For me the main key is to be prepared... have you meals planned and ready to go, ingredients on hand, junk food out of the house. As you start feeling better and more energy you'll realize it's really not all that hard. It's a way of life! It's a way of living! Literally! ;)

Thank you everyone for the support. I almost brought me to tears and it's what I needed.

I'm on Day 5 and I just seem to keep going. Since I'm doing it for my health and not for vanity I feel more motivated to keep going. I signed up for the e-mail (thanks for the recommendation, Mom2A&M) and they have been helping a lot. If you asked me a month ago if I would be eating spinach and ground beef with homemade taco seasoning and loving it I would have thought you were crazy.

Some things I've noticed in my first five days:

1. I didn't know the difference between a zucchini and a cucumber. Go figure.

2. Posting my food pictures to Instagram keeps me accountable. Plus, I love looking at #whole30 pictures.

3. I'm a beginner and it's okay not to know everything.

4. There is sugar in everything commercially made. Everything! Why is there sugar in chicken broth?

5. I MUST go to bed on time. After 10:30pm my brain thinks it's snack time.

6. My rabbit and I are starting to eat a lot of the same things.

7. I can find dishes that my non-whole30 husband will enjoy.

8. I can actually do this.

9. I'm having some pretty intense dreams about sugar cookies. I hope that goes away soon.

And now, in honor of Marcia's wonderful pep talk, I'm out to kick some serious fear butt and survive the weekend.

I had my first food dream last night. I was picking at a premixed bag of salad. I had a bit of lettuce with dressing on it and then a pinch of parmesan cheese. Finally I had a bite of a cheese stick. Then I felt guilt wash over me. It was so real... and honestly weird. Because it's not like that food is even all that horrible outside of the Whole30. My husband dreamed of fried chicken and dinner rolls, which at least made sense to me!

Day 6 and still going strong. I'm still having some pretty intense dreams every night about food. Last night I stuffed my face with everything imaginable. It seems that my brain is really trying to force me to go back to my old habits, but I haven't noticed any pain in my knees today so I'm telling my brain to go shove it.

I realize that weekends are going to be the hardest for me. My husband and I usually go to my in-laws for dinner (who think Shake'n'Bake and Becel are good for you) and junk food usually flows like running water in my home. The staying up late and less routine will also be a battle, but I know that if I make some contingency plans I will succeed.

I'm also not used to eating this many times a day. I didn't realize it until I started Whole30. I was probably only eating once a day before. Also, I noticed that I'm not following the Whole30 timeline at all, which suggests that I've been feeling terrible for so long that it's become normal. It was a tough realization.

I think I will have to scour the forums and paleo recipe blogs for different vegetable ideas. I am starting to run short of ideas.

Lastly, I'm really appreciative of all the support. It's valuable, helpful and motivating. Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 17 - I'm still going strong. Who knew? I have found that it's actually easier to stick to than anything else I've ever done since it's so black and white. Steak, yes. Pie, no. So freaking simple. I'm surprised because I thought the Whole30 would make me feel restricted, but it's actually been liberating. I'm sure I'm having an epiphany that thousands of people have already had, but it's new to me!

Some other observations:

1. Coconut oil is my new BFF. I tell it everything and miss it when it's not around.

2. I can't believe how easy it's become to say "No." I don't worry about offending people and I don't elaborate. "Not for me, thanks!" Boo-yah.

3. I no longer feel the need to wear my glasses, which can only mean doing Whole30 is giving me the ability to regenerate. I can't wait to see what other superpowers I get. C'mon telekenisis!

4. I'm sleeping better, my allergies have been better, my mood has been better and my clothes are fitting better. (I finally figured out what that extra button was on the inside of my pants was for.)

13 days left? Shut the front door!

If you get telekinesis from your Whole30, I've obviously been doing it wrong and will be super jealous!

You sound so awesome! I just read through your whole blog and I love watching the transformation! Keep on!

You are awesome and I relate to much of what you have written, especially about how easy and black and white and liberating this plan is. There is no "moderation" which, for me, was impossible. Also, I too have found saying "no" so much easier than I imagined. I went out to lunch today and the haloumi cheese, pita bread and more pita bread just stared at me from the table and not once did I even hear the enemy's voice in my head telling me I should give in and eat a piece because it would feel so good. I feel better having shut that voice down over the last 18 days.

On more thing: I dreamed I ate a tablespoon full of ranch dressing a week or so ago...When I woke up I was SO thankful it was just a dream. I mean, if I'm going to blow this thing its going to be because I eat pizza or french bread, not ranch :).

Keep posting!

I agree completely, 1Maryann, which is why food is such a challenge for many of us. Quitting smoking was relatively easy for me-it was a pure "no" (12 years next month). Before my first W30 I used to think it would be better for me if I could simply take a pill and never eat again. I can do "no". But moderation is not exactly my middle name. I think that's partly the W30 has worked so well for me-it's easier to just not eat foods that are a problem for me. It was trying to eat them in moderation that simply didn't work.

Archived