Food dreams during your Whole30

Having dreams about off-plan foods is all too common during your Whole30. In fact, we've experienced it ourselves - I personally had a dream about an Arby's cheeseburger during my last Whole30 (and I've never eaten at Arby's in my life!).

Have you had dreams about off-plan foods during your Whole30? Share them with us here... and know that it's totally normal for your subconscious brain to go a little haywire when you tell it that it can't have something!

Melissa & the Whole9 team

The second night of my Whole30 (last night), I dreamed about some of the most delicious bread on the planet (Ezekiel 4:9 Bread)—only, not only was it bread, but it was also some sort of tarrot card deck, or sports cards, or something (you know how dreams can be). Anyway, I was back at the house I grew up in and people were arguing over the cards (err.. bread). I remembering thinking this was really bizarre. Then, I woke up this morning and made a four-egg veggie scramble on a bed of kale, cooked in delicious coconut oil.

Take that, Ezekiel bread! You're the best darn bread I may never eat again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30, and I have had two food dreams since starting. My first dream, about 2 to 3 days after starting, I was at an outdoor party, with a super long, winding table, Alice in Wonderland style. This table was loaded with foods and I was making my way down trying to pick out Whole30 approved things, when I tripped and fell right into a bowl of donut holes and accidentally ate one (sound familiar?!?!? haha). I felt so guilty the rest of the day (in my dream) and was moping around until I decided, that I had already ruined everything so I might as well have more and I made and ate a pound cake! I don't even eat pound cake in the non-dream world.

My second dream, probably around day 8 or so on Whole30, I was pigging out on some sugary food I wasn't supposed to be eating, I knew I wasn't supposed to be eating, but didn't care. All of a sudden Katharine Hepburn popped up next to me, like a genie, and started scolding me for eating foods that were not Whole30 approved!

Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I dreamt I was at a wedding reception and there was only one lady catering. She had a whole industrial kitchen to herself and like every ten minutes she would put out like 1000 different types of gourmet cookies or a red velvet cake etc and I just kept loading up in handfuls and coming back for more because I was in an eating contest with two dudes whose stomachs seemed to be black holes.. I remember actually seeing and tasting the cookies, and feeling my stomach expand as I pushed it to its limits !... I don't even like baked goods much and can't remember the last time I ate one in real life, honestly..

The weirdest part is that I woke up with a definite stomach cramp/ache type thing. I wonder if it's related to what I ate yesterday or something but I just didn't have much of an appetite upon waking.. That was probably the most weird intense food dream experience ever for me. haha. Looking at my bed, I definitely tossed and turned a lot.. I remember thinking in my dream "there's no way this can be real, oh no I'm going to have to start over!" hahah I feel like a nut case.

Last week I had a dream that I ate an entire bag of plain M&Ms--not a small, individual sized bag, but one of the jumbo ones. I don't even really like M&Ms (unless they are the peanut butter ones). But the guilt of breaking my whole30 followed me out of the dream, and in the morning I confessed to my mom, who is doing the program with me, that I had messed up. She was confused, and asked me where I got the M&Ms, since we didn't have any in the house. I tried to remember if I went to the store myself and bought them, but then the realization came that it was just a dream. It was freaky how real that felt though...

I've been eating Paleo with dairy/honey for about 2 months now. But I just started the Whole 30 this week. Last night I had a dream that I made dinner using butter instead of Ghee and I was upset because I couldn't eat it. :)

Its very common with other addictions such as alcohol and drugs to have dreams about them when and after stopping.So it only makes sense that food and esp sugar would be the same! Last night I dreamed that I pigged out on cake ,bread and cookies .When I realized that I was waaaay off my whole 30 I was so upset.I was glad to wake and realize it was only a dream!

I had a dream on about Day 5 or so where I was looking over a huge platter of super sugary covered/glazed donuts of various shapes, sizes and colors. I've been paleo for almost a year before I started my Whole30 and even before that, it's been YEARS since I ate a donut. I have zero idea where that dream came from!

The nice part was that in the dream, I enjoyed taking deep breaths of the sugary smell, but I didn't eat any!

My W30 is going well (today is day 11). Last night I dreamed that I was presented with a huge bowl of cereal which I was really excited about eating . . . and then I realized it wasn't on the Whole30.

The weird thing is that I never eat cereal anyway, W30 or not!

It always surprises me how strong the feeling of relief I have when I realize it was just a dream.

I had a dream that I was sitting in a lovely brick oven pizzeria, waiting for my yummy, yummy pizza to be delivered to my table...and it NEVER came! I was there forever. Everyone around me got their pizzas and I just kept waiting....and waiting....and waiting.... :o I swear I could smell pizza baking in my bedroom when I woke up!

Archived