The next time around

Marci0393

My first whole 30 ended as a whole 27. Many factors contributed to my blowing off the last three days, but I have only myself to blame. I still feel like it was a success. My plan was to take a week off and do another one. Due to a broken TV and dishwasher (in the same week!), I will have to wait a bit longer to stock my fridge and pantry. I do plan on doing my next W30 asap.

A few things I will do differently next time:

1. Ignore my family. I mostly did that this time around, but they didn't like the smell of the coconut oil and I stopped using it. This time, my motto is "you can't please everyone, you got to please yourself" There are frozen pizzas in the freezer if you don't like it.

2. Coconut oil is back in the line-up.

3. I am sending the scale away. I am getting it out of my house and I am going to challenge myself to stay off the scale at the gym. This really should be #1 for me.

4. Keep a closer eye on fruit and nuts. I love fruit, but it is a little swypo/no brakes for me. I love fruit and nut butter but the more I have it, the more I want it. I think I will limit myself to 3 servings a week and always with my meal, no snacking.

5. I am going to make it 30 days.

6. After the 30 days I am goint to do the full reintroduction.

7. I am going to remind myself every single day, why I am doing this. I believe I may be insulin resistant and/or pre-diabetic and last time I had a check up my cholesterol was in the high end of normal. I am 25lbs over-weight and my husband and I want to have another baby. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and my son has autism. There are a million reasons to do this and only one not to - because it's hard.

I am no stranger to hard. I came from a lower middle class family. I dropped out of high school and did home school to get my diploma. I was a single mother, living with my parents at 20.

Today, I have a wonderful husband, 2 amazing kids, a nice house, lovely friends, and a successful career as an attorney. Getting here was no picnic, let me tell you. Now days, there is very little I would change about my life, but my weight and health are at the top of the list. I have accomplished a great deal over the last few years, but I still have trouble passing up a girl scout cookie or sesame chicken. I just need to stay focused on how important this is. I am going to keep doing it until I get it right. Until I can ride my own bike and make the hard choices every day. I made it through law school and drug free child birth, this should be a piece of cake piece of steamed broccoli, right?

I need to ignore my family, too! My husband and kids are certainly not on board, but they love me and know how important it is for me to heal my body. They can "ewwww" all over my cauliflower soup and sauteed spinach - I'm going to keep taking care of myself and hope to lead by example.

Archived