Diet Coke Lover Tackles Whole 30 (Day 2)

kmswip

I am currently on the second day of my Whole 30. So far, so good. I am a heavy diet coke drinker and also a wine lover, so those are the two biggest challenges for me. That and the fact that my job is pretty long hours, so being prepared with food is key. Yesterday I had a pretty nasty headache in the afternoon (assuming from the lack of diet coke). Today I have been doing mostly okay, don't feel great - a little bit groggy, but no headache.

I am so ready to tackle this and turn my life around. Any words of wisdom welcome!

I also love zero coke, last night I had a thumping migraine and was very very very cranky. I ate chocolate and immediately felt better. So back to day one for me. Need motivational tips and strategis.

I had a migraine on my day one, it wasn't from a lack of coke zero though, I stopped drinking soda a long time ago but there was a time when I was a 3-4 can a day diet coke drinker. I drank a lot of ginger tea to calm the nausea that came with the migraine and took a long, hot, detoxifying bath-added epsom salts and baking soda to my bath water. Those two things plus large amounts of water got me through without taking ibuprofren.

The other thing that helped during my W30 was to a ready supply of bubbly water, i even invested in a soda stream so I can make my own! I love bubbly water, it was my wine replacement :)

I was back to work yesterday for the first time since I started my W30 (Day 8 for me) and had my first diet coke craving -- a giant one -- while I was do some tricky analysis stuff. Apparently I associate DC with feeling smarter / more focused. =/ I think it's the bubbles or something. I'm sure it's not the caffeine as I'd had my breakfast coffee only a couple hours earlier.

Hello, my name is Deb and I am a Diet Dr. Pepper addict. I am on day 20. My habit consisted of 4+ 24oz bottles per day. The first couple of days were rough. I don't like coffee or tea. Excedrin has a touch of caffienne in it so it helps. I can say that it took about 18 days before I quit craving it, but a commercial, fast food store, etc brings back a craving pretty quickly. It is a demon that has been around a long time, and I plan to stay clean & sober 1 day at a time.

I suggest reading the article in the "Everyone Must Read This" thread (here's the link to the article: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food).

If you are anything like me, you will be furious at the level of manipulation the soda companies (and others) are putting into getting us hooked on this stuff... and that anger will help you stay off it!

Keep on!

Day 5! Time is flying! Today I woke up feeling a little sick. Not sure if I'm actually catching a bug or if it's my body adjusting, or both. I started reading Why We Get Fat today. I found that it helps to read books that discuss why we are all doing this Whole 30 diet in the first place... keeps me motivated!

Haven't written in here for awhile, but today is Day 8 and it's going great! I had a baby shower and birthday party so this weekend were definitely my first real temptations! I discovered that I LOVE club soda, which is a great realization not only for something to have when I'm out, but also to supplement the carbonation from the diet coke I am no longer drinking. I am fighting off a bit of a bug, which is frustrating because even WITH the sickness I can tell that I am feeling much much better. I am falling asleep right when I lay down and sleeping soundly through the night which is a huge improvement for me. Once this bug shakes, I can't even imagine how great I'm going to feel!

Archived