Anyone have a good mayo recipe?

anneelewis

I use this one: http://makingspacethejourneyout.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-homemade-mayonnaise/ The video in my blog post (which is not me, I just liked the video and the recipe) shows how to do it. I just leave out the honey, and I use extra light in flavor olive oil. I've made it with ACV and fresh lemon juice and I prefer the fresh lemon juice. I love adding things to it (two recent batches were dill flavored and cumin flavored).

I've never had it not work out. Good luck!

My go-to recipe makes a TON (like, almost a quart) but I make half of it into Ranch dressing and it is for a family of 6. You could divide it to suit your own needs. I've never had it not turn out:

6 egg yolks

3 TB vinegar or lemon juice (I always use vinegar bc I am too lazy to squeeze lemons)

1 TB dijon mustard

pinch of salt

Give all that a whir or a stir to combine it, then sloooowly drizzle in 3 cups of light olive oil, or any combination of good oils...I've used coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, and avocado oil (makes it green, fun!) but really for everyday use prefer the olive oil. I use the drizzle hole in my food processor feed tube, and five minutes later, have a beautiful batch of fluffy mayo!

@EmilyB456 Does the coconut oil stay "liquid?" Do you have to warm it first to get it to that state and then add it?

I made my first batch of mayo from the ISWF book last weekend and it came out great, but a little too strong on the olive flavor. I thought it would be good to try other oils and see.

I've never used 100% coconut oil...always mixed it with other oils maybe 50/50. Coconut oil does set up a little more than the other oils, but oddly, not as much as you'd expect. Be sure you use the extra light olive oil and it shouldn't have a lot of olive flavor. I think we've all made a batch using Extra Virgin and YUCK.

I've never used 100% coconut oil...always mixed it with other oils maybe 50/50. Coconut oil does set up a little more than the other oils, but oddly, not as much as you'd expect. Be sure you use the extra light olive oil and it shouldn't have a lot of olive flavor. I think we've all made a batch using Extra Virgin and YUCK.

I've never used 100% coconut oil...always mixed it with other oils maybe 50/50. Coconut oil does set up a little more than the other oils, but oddly, not as much as you'd expect.

My health food stores in Texas have recently started carrying a coconut oil that stays liquid even refrigerated- it's non-gmo, no hexane, no additives, 70% mcfa. I make mayo with that exclusively because it has a light sweet taste and due to all the controversy lately about olive oils being cut with cheap industrial seed oils. I use a recipe on food renegade website and you can find it by googling "cultured mayo food renegade". It is lacto fermented with whey and a little sucanat as a starter- I use veggie culture starter from Body Ecology (which I will warn has dextrose but that is food for the bacteria- it will not remain in your final product, think Kombucha-same thing) and I only add about a chopstick tip dip of honey to the mayo to encourage the bacteria to proliferate. You have to leave it out on the counter overnight so the bacteria have time to eat all that sugar and the result is a light nutty tangy thick mayo that is full of gut strengthening probiotics. It tastes kinda like a cleaned up version of miracle whip. Another thing is I've tried to make mayo in my kitchenaid and with handblender and I can only get it to work in a regular blender.

• 3 weeks later...

the clothes makes the girl mayo is delicious! but you have to do some planning ahead (room temp eggs, etc.) so when I forget to do that I do everyday paleo's recipe

2 eggs

2 tblsp of apple cider vinegar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp mustard

1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper (i do a little bit less than this)

2 cups of oil

mix all ingredients in a blender minus the oil for about 30 secs and then start SLOWLY incorporating the oil until you use all of it up. (make sure your blender is always on low)

Clothes Make th Girl's is great - but I have had much better results using my food processor instead of my blender. (I have the same blender as the one in her photos, so I don't think the issue is my blender).

I use her recipe but I make it with an immersion blender (stick blender) and it works like a charm. No need to have everything at the same temp, no need to drizzle (just dump it all in) and as I learned from someone here, if you mix it in a ball jar, you can store it in the same jar and avoid some clean up! Easy peazy.

Archived