question for Tom D. about his weight loss and reintroduction

megmac

Tom,

I have read several posts about your weight loss journey. If I remember correctly, you lost 30 lbs at the rate of 2 lbs/month for 15 months. I'm wondering if you were W30 compliant most of that time, or if you reintroduced some foods that allowed you to continue to lose weight. If so, can you share the specifics? I know everyone is different, but sure would appreciate knowing what worked for you.

I am getting ready to start reintroduction and have had excellent results this round. I would like to relax a little (no grains) and still continue lose; slow and steady is fine with me. I know what my sensitivities are from last round, so I'm not going to reintroduce in the traditional method this time. But I do NOT want to halt progress.

I apologize if you have answered this question before. Maybe I'm not searching on the right words.

Thanks.

• Moderators

That's actually a good question that I have not discussed in this context before. :)

I did not reintroduce any off-plan foods to what I ate at home and I eat at home a lot because I work from home. I was enjoying the food I ate during my Whole30 so much, I didn't see any reason to stop. What I did do after about 4 months was to relax and eat off-plan foods occasionally when it was convenient or because I wanted it. For me that meant I ate something that was not Whole30-compliant about once or twice per week. I might have a piece of pie made by a friend if they swore it was really good (Actually, that has happened only 2 or 3 times in almost 3 years). I might order pita bread with babaganoush in a Turkish restaurant, I would not worry if there was dairy in the sauces at an Indian restaurant buffet, and once when I took an Italian cooking class at Whole Foods, I ate the pasta we made in class. I've never even tried to calculate percentages, but it would be fair to say that I eat Whole30-compliant 95 percent of the time all the time.

I don't think all your food choices have to be Whole30-compliant to lose weight if you need to lose weight. I think you can eat off plan some and be okay as long as you follow the Whole9 meal template. After eating this way for years now, I am most aware of the importance of meals including protein, fat, and veggies and eating foods that offer serious nourishment.

I think it's more that your body still uses sugar FIRST since it's easier to use. If you aren't taking in a lot of sugar, then it will fill the gap, so to speak, with fat. It's why too much sugar can keep that sugar dragon alive - the sugar in it will keep supplying your body the sugar to remain sugar-adapted instead of fat-adapted.

Or maybe I'm screwed up...

I may be confused too, but I thought your body preferred the sugar pathway for fast, sudden bursts (sprinting or lifting your kid from the ground to above your head in one big swing). I believe the brain always functions on glucose. For slower, steadier energy I think the preferred pathway is burning fat... so for walking to work, sitting/walking/chatting at the office, normal non-swift movements.

I think it's possible to use more than one source at a time (i.e., the brain always using glucose but the body can be using fat at the same time. And just because the brain needs glucose doesn't mean more glucose is better!).

My memory of metabolic pathways could also very definitely be screwed up!

Function of max heart rate % and anabolic threshold.... A serious athleat can train at just below the anabolic threshold and produce more cellular mitochondria that will burn intercellular lipids for fuel. The more you train this way the more exertion you can output without crossing into the anabolic glocolytic zone. Once this happens you have a bigger fat burning engine that doesn't need to use as much glycogen ..... I believe that's what " fat adaption technically refers to" .

Renee is correct and we are always in glycolysis.... We convert sugars,proteins,lactic acid..... on and on

Archived