Casey's Whole30 (in Japan)

KC Sunshine

I just finished day 25! Beginning to think about reintroduction, although still in the home stretch : )

I've thought about freezing some meals - I'll probably do that with curry / chili / soup this weekend since it's easy to make in bulk. I ended up squeezing all my veggies into the lower half of the fridge, but it barely fit. Luckily there's 2 supermarkets about a 3 minutes walk from my house, so even if I have to buy food the day of, it's not a huge problem / time sink.

My meals today:

• Breakfast - shrimp with curry over spinach
  • Lunch - ground beef with curry over spinach
  • Dinner - ground beef sauteed with onions, peppers, cabbage, garlic, cumin, cayenne, paprika, and garlic, with avocado on top

I found some 50% off Japanese domestic ground beef yesterday - it was fantastic. I'm going to try and get there every day just before the supermarket closes to see if I can get similar deals.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's official, I need a Sleep30 after I'm done with this Whole30. Over the past few days it's become clear I could use some serious work on prioritizing healthy sleep habits.

Missed yesterday - ended up getting only 2 hours of sleep due to exams, am planning to catch up a bit tonight. At the moment I'm still pretty sleep deprived and can't remember what exactly I ate, but I'm pretty sure it was some combination of steak and eggs and beef stroganoff with tons of veggies : )

Today's meals:

• Breakfast - beef stroganoff with spinach and half an apple
  • Lunch - beef stroganoff with spinach - only ate about half of this
  • Dinner - steak sauteed with mushrooms, onions, garlic, and pepper + spinach + avocado

Also, didn't have broth so used extra coconut milk for the stroganoff - it came out really rich / sweet - almost to the point where I get sick when I eat it. Will probably switch back to curry next time, but it was a fun experiment.

Originally I was attracted to the food, culture, and how different it is from the states. Now I'm over here working and studying. Come visit : )

Anyways, going to get 8 hours tonight!! And I've decided to start a Sleep30 as soon as my Whole30 ends - let me know if you have any suggestions.

Today's meals:

• Breakfast - beef stroganoff and spinach
  • Lunch - ground beef with cumin, paprika, chili, garlic, and salt + peppers + avocado + spinach + cabbage + onions
  • Dinner - same as lunch

Can't believe tomorrow is Day 30. I've been seriously loving the program the past week or two - I almost hesitate to think about offroading, but I've got a sushi dinner coming up this weekend!!

Casey, it's not possible to sleep 30 hours a day... Oh, you mean sleep for 30 days, hang on that's not right either.... Sorry, don't have any good suggestions, I need more sleep myself.

So speaking of Japan ( would love to visit, thanks for the invite :P ) I went out to dinner with Japanese friends, teppenyaki of course, sorry to say no to the sake....

I visited Japan briefly when I was working in Singapore 15 years ago...time moves quickly!

Woot woot day30!!!

Teppanyaki is great!

Just finished day 30!!!! Can't believe it's already here....

Unfortunately, I didn't know about the reintroduction schedule and have fancy meals scheduled on Saturday and Sunday with friends and family :o

Soy is going to be impossible to avoid, as it's in everything here. Other than, the only thing I'm really worried about is rice in sushi. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to be a stickler and just eat sashimi - it's kind of a nostalgic occasion where I'm meeting my old host family. Might just use it as an excuse to do another Whole30 starting sometime next month :D

Today's meals:

• Breakfast - beef stroganoff over spinach
  • Lunch - scallops, eggs, mushrooms, onions, garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, spinach, carrots
  • Dinner - same as lunch

Really glad I did this program. Like seriously, one of the best decisions I think I've ever made. I was always the type to just workout like crazy and eat whatever I wanted, but this 30 days has really opened my eyes to the effect food has on my mood and mental faculties. I'm going to continue eating mostly paleo from here on out, and will definitely try another Whole30 again in the near future.

Will check in tomorrow with post-program stats B)

Archived