New, started today! :)

Brandieelynne

Hello!

I'm not new to Paleo, but I'm making the committment to be ultra-strict and follow Whole30. I had previously allowed some dairy (a lot of heavy cream for coffee, butter) and wine on a daily basis. Today is my first day sans coffee and wine.

I might love coffee w/ cream and wine more than anything ;) so this will be the true challenge.

Thanks in advance for your support, and best of luck to you all who are also making this committment!

I started my first Whole30 last Sunday. So that puts me at Day 10. Cream in my coffee and red wine (with cheese, of course) have been the most dificult for me to even THINK about giving up. But hey, it's not forever, and I am betting that the benefits will outweigh the sacrifice. the only minor mishaps I have had were: #1. pickled ginger garnish- a couple slices- when eating sashimi with wasabi paste (no soy sauce- weird). I found out later that most pickled ginger is made with a sugar/vinegar solution. And #2. Volcano Dust- a spice I used on my eggs once and then read the label the next morning and it listed glucose way down. I should add #3. I weigh myself. I am feeling really porky and confirmed that I did not shed my usual 3-4lbs post PMS and while that is upsetting because weight loss is one of my priorities, I think I have discovered the reason for the lack of weight loss. (Eating TOO MUCH!!! And snacking...) The main reason I am focussing on the weight is my 30yr high school reuinion is in like 6 weeks- need I say more???

Anyhow, here's to not drinking wine (for a little while) and skipping the 5 year gouda for now. Black coffee is growing on me but I might try the coconut milk (canned) in it some lazy afternoon soon.

Linda

Count me in the "love my wine and cheese and coffee with cream" club. Day 19 here. Coconut milk tastes much like heavy cream to me, and after I learned you could make omelets without cheese, I was good to go. I thought I'd miss my evening glass of wine the most, but truthfully, I hadn't even thought about it in days until I read this thread. Thanks! (just kidding)

Day 2:

Yay! Glad I'm not the only one going through dairy/wine withdrawl! ;) Ok I'm kind of joking, the withdrawl hasn't hit yet...thankfully! So...I decided today to try black coffee (!!!) so I ordered an Americano and drank it cold. It wasn't terrible! Then, I decided that maybe if I make iced coffee w/ coconut milk, I might like it better than hot coffee w/ coconut milk. WIN! :) I bought some instant coffee (Via from Sbux), made it cold, and added coconut milk from the can. Yum! YAY! No giving up coffee afterall!! :)

Tomorrow is my first day of work since starting Whole30 (I'm a nurse, I work long hours -12hr shifts- at night). So, I'm hoping I can survive a "regular" day, and hoping I have the energy I need and don't become tempted to use the zipfizz (totally delicious but not healthy energy drink) that I normally use to help with mental clarity and energy.

Also, I started up Crossfit again today. I took a break for a few months. I was tired and dizzy after the warmup. Yikes - it's gonna be a tough couple weeks but I'm looking forward to getting back in shape. Also, I usually eat very low-carb (meat with some low carb veggies, no fruit), so since I'm now eating probably more than usual- the working out makes me feel like i have less chance of weight gain. We shall see, but I won't be checking the scale, since I put it in storage a while ago! ;)

Sorry for the novel, I am glad you guys are going through the same thing and I hope you all had a great and successful day today!

sorry Maryann! i really haven't been craving much of anything in particular, but craving SOMETHING undefinable. last evening i was home alone and thinking about dinner. i sliced a jicama and put some lemon juice on it and in the 90+ heat it was so refreshing and quelled my need to snack/cook. i barely drank any water yesterday which was weird for me so maybe i was just thirsty. i read about the seasnacks and found that they are right at a store arond the corner from me so after my shrimp/broccoli/onion/coconut amino/kelp noodle dinner, i bought a few packages. nice salty snack but i could eat like 5 packages. maybe something i could bring to the movies (which i avoid since going primal/paleo a year ago to avoid a popcorn incident). in naples florida at least you have a whole foods so you can get a lot of stuff that i have to search high and low for. although wegmans does have a lot of specialty items. i am going to talk them into getting pure wraps so i dont have to order them online.

i did do boot camp this morning, and i was feeling really pretty strong. i work out almost every day but not really as ramped up as boot camp. if it wasn't so freaking hot out i might do bikrim on the weekends, but that's out for me in this heat. Brandeelynn , i think you will feel better working out after a week or so of your diet.

Hey all, don't know if any of you are from the paleohacks group starting whole 30 in the near future, but that is where I come from. Eeeh. To tell you the truth I'm not even sure what whole 30 is. I have been paleo 70% (approx) since March 2011, with slack periods. I'm doing a whole 30 because I have tried it one or twice before but never made it to 30 days. Where is the approved food list lol?

Day 2:

Yay! Glad I'm not the only one going through dairy/wine withdrawl! ;) Ok I'm kind of joking, the withdrawl hasn't hit yet...thankfully! So...I decided today to try black coffee (!!!) so I ordered an Americano and drank it cold. It wasn't terrible! Then, I decided that maybe if I make iced coffee w/ coconut milk, I might like it better than hot coffee w/ coconut milk. WIN! :) I bought some instant coffee (Via from Sbux), made it cold, and added coconut milk from the can. Yum! YAY! No giving up coffee afterall!! :)

Tomorrow is my first day of work since starting Whole30 (I'm a nurse, I work long hours -12hr shifts- at night). So, I'm hoping I can survive a "regular" day, and hoping I have the energy I need and don't become tempted to use the zipfizz (totally delicious but not healthy energy drink) that I normally use to help with mental clarity and energy.

Also, I started up Crossfit again today. I took a break for a few months. I was tired and dizzy after the warmup. Yikes - it's gonna be a tough couple weeks but I'm looking forward to getting back in shape. Also, I usually eat very low-carb (meat with some low carb veggies, no fruit), so since I'm now eating probably more than usual- the working out makes me feel like i have less chance of weight gain. We shall see, but I won't be checking the scale, since I put it in storage a while ago! ;)

Sorry for the novel, I am glad you guys are going through the same thing and I hope you all had a great and successful day today!

What a great idea! I LOVE iced coffee! I will have to try that, thanks for the tip!

Today starts day 3. We are both feeling great and not having any issues so far. My wife was just telling me that she is not craving any of the bad stuff and is feeling "full" after our meals. We also started back to working out after a 3 week hiatus and I am interested in seeing how the Whole30 program makes me feel before, during, and after our workouts. Great stuff thus far! Lots of chicken, eggs, and veggies....acorn squash with grass fed hamburger tonight.

It's day 5 for me but I'm almost taking it as day 1 since the previous 4 days I was drinking a tea that had soy lechtin in it.

The biggest change is not drinking any wine at all. I haven't craved it but it's weird to think about how easily I was just pouring myself a glass of wine every other day.

I really miss my sweets though. I never realized how many fruits I was consuming versus vegetables. I have a feeling that will be my biggest struggle.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Great start to day 4. Quick workout and now a recovery breakfast of eggs, sweet potatoes, part of an apple and nitrate free chicken sausage....of course, black coffee too. I felt a little rough post workout and will experiment with adjusting my total carb intake. We are starting an intense workout cycle on Monday. Hope everyone else is doing great!

today is Day13. i gotta say, i don't feel super energetic or anything. i still think i am eating too much/too often, but i have times when i feel like i want something specific, i just don't know what it IS, so i try a few different things and then give up. last night was a restaurant meal- his kids wanted to take him out for a belated father's day meal. we picked a BBQ place to please them and also knowing some peel and eat shrimp were on the menu that we could eat. he found brisket and just got it without the sauce, and a chopped salad sans dressing with both our "meals". sides were all out because of the sugar. the poor waitress was so diligent about checking the ingredients (and this place was swamped!) and each time she came back declaring yet another side dish "out". she brought me oil and vinegar and i peeled all my shrimp and put them on top of the salad. lemon wedges too, lots of pepper. i wound up tipping this girl over 25% for all the trouble she went to. but i gotta say- i would MUCH rather eat at home. there is no meal a restaurant can dream up that i can't top at home. and for a lot cheaper (funny how I wound up paying for this dinner out!). but my homemade dressing is far better, and i trust no one else to use the correct oils and spices. i had to even wipe off the dusting of spice on my peel and eats there because i wasn't sure if it had sugar (many spice blends do!). his kids already know i'm nuts so they didn't even bat an eye...

what i wanted more than ANYTHING last night was a glass of wine. a balmy summer night, a band playing outside the restaurant that we walked over to yesterday (rusted root, no less!), fun company. that was really tough. i ate some macadamias when i got home and just tried to shake it off. but for the next two weeks- DINNER AT HOME!

My wife and I were just talking about not being able to eat out. It is actually not a horrible thing...just a little different. I really would like a beer...or maybe 6. Other than a low grade headache the past two afternoons all is going well. The kids are revolting a little....but since I buy the groceries I get to say tough,

Day 6 and doing great! Tomorrow we start back into programmed workouts. It will be interesting to see how it is going to work out. : )

Stick to it. It worked for me, but I found 30 days with no beer or a scotch tough. I'm ten days past 30 now. Feeling terrific and down 18 pounds. I'm guessing from your screen name you're a pilot? I used to fly small stuff before morgages and kids clipped my wings.

That is fantastic. I definitely could drop 18 pounds. : ). I am actually a flight engineer...KC-10s was a plane I aviated on several years ago. I will definitely have a celebratory beer after the 30 day mark!

Just finished an intense workout. Refueled with root vegetables, chicken, eggs, and an apple. Feel great so far. 7 days in the books. Hang gliding would be a blast and on the bucket list. Still would love a beer or glass of wine...that seems to be the toughest craving. : ).

Archived