Started AIP reintro today, and WOE (Whole52 so far)

grace.c

So the title was meant to say wow, but woe also sums it up nicely. I'm on day 32 of AIP, day 52 of whole30, and I decided to try eggs as I've been missing them.

For breakfast, I scrambled three eggs in coconut oil. Added herbs & salt. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. And then... within an hour I was feeling super nauseous. Within two hours, my wrists were aching like crazy. Within three hours, my entire body was sore, my knee got stiff, I get extremely lethargic and depressed. I then had to dash to the bathroom.

I never want to eat an egg again. But I do have one question... this reaction is so extreme! My plan is to allow things to settle, then continue on my reintro plan, and try egg yolk much later down the track. But I'm curious if anyone else has experienced such an extreme reaction? I would never have picked eggs as being such an issue for me.

In my opinion, this is one of the greatest benefits of the Whole 30 or any elimination diet- making what was once unconscious, conscious.

I have had reactions of equal extremity to foods I never would have pegged as being issues, after eating them my whole life with no outward reaction until I took a break. So you're definitely not alone.

Regarding eggs specifically, you are obviously sensitive, but there's a slight chance it's not the eggs you're sensitive to. I have experienced much greater discomfort from supermarket soy fed eggs than farmer's market eggs, or even supermarket soy free eggs. And I can tolerate duck eggs much more easily than chicken. So you have more experimentation ahead of you, but you knew that!

One small favor you can be grateful for is the fact that you didn't even really enjoy eating them. If it does turn out that eggs are a no no across the board, that will make it a LOT easier than if it was the best meal you ever had and then you had a reaction like that. Congratulations on your self-discovery!

Thanks Joey, glad to hear someone else had extreme reactions as well. Today, I suddenly realised no more mayonnaise. That was pretty heartbreaking! I tested with free range eggs from a local, ethical farm, so I hate to think how I'd respond to soy fed cage eggs.

Holly, the simple answer is no, I never suspected eggs as causing any reaction previously. However, in hindsight, I do remember two instances of an upset tummy immediately after a breakfast of eggs in the past... but I attributed the cause to other things at the time. Pretty easy to do when you consider I eat eggs at least once a week and that's two upset tummies in probably two years. Also, my husband reminded me that I took an IgG test and both egg white and egg yolk came up as intolerances, but I read a lot of things saying the test isn't accurate so I promptly forgot all about it. So there were signs, but they sure weren't obvious.

Good luck, Lulu! I'm hoping that pinpointing these specific, unexpected intolerances will ultimately give me more freedom - the freedom to eat a wider variety of food (instead of having to cut out a large volume of suspects, I can be specific), and the freedom to avoid things that really do make me sick. Knowledge is power.

Archived