Whole9 & PWS (Prader-willi syndrome)

Asla

I'm very interested in following the Whole9/Whole30 lifestyle. I do think it is benificiary to eat good food, and willing to change my eating habits. What is holding me back is my daughters medical condition: PWS (or Prader-willi syndrome).

One of the things I keep reading is 'don't count your calories, your body will tell you when you have had enough once it has had it's fill on good food' etc, etc. I'm sure it works that way in regular people, but what if you have a syndrome that always makes you feel hungry? One of the most remarkable things in PWS-patients is that they don't produce (enough of) the hormone that makes you feel satisfied, making them always hungry. When not supervised, people with PWS keep eating, with (morbide) obesitas and all problems that comes with that as a result.

So PWS patients need to be supervised on their food intake, and generaly this is done by dietists and doctors that believe in the WHO-rules that say things like 'wholegrain bread, milk, lean meat, no fats' etc.

It's hard enough as it is to keep your kids away from suger and snacks already, if you try to go 'paleo-like', but what if even medial professionals advise completely different things than you would?

(And now she's small and I feed her, so I can make healthy choices for her, but what happens when she goes on to live in a grouphome later and gets an enormous change of diet? But that's a different issue I guess)

If I had all day to puzzle with food I'd be alright, but I'm a working mom, so I'm wondering if it's worth all the stress to go strict on the food, or just to make the best choices I can, but to allow things like bread.

Anyways, my point is that I'm puzzeling if whole9/whole30 is also appropriate for my daughter. I can make smart choices alright (no peanutbutter, more snack veggies) but I really need to watch the cal's (since she needs at least 30% less of those than regular kids, also a result of her condition).

I'm afraid that she hits the cal's she's allowed to have to fast with a lot of the food promoted on this website, and so not eating enough to get the nutritients she needs to grow healthily.

Any thoughts on this issue?

I've known a few kids with PWS and I know how absolutely difficult the parents find it. I've no real advice but I'd have thought that within the limits of PWS, it can't do any harm for her food to be as healthy as possible. She's not going to find any nutrients she needs in grains or sugars. As you say you're making smart choices already. This is only my personal opinion and in no way to be taken over your doctors advice but I'd have thought she would still need some good fats. I know the standard PWS food pyramid puts veg at the bottom and there's no doubt that this is a healthy choice and lower in calories than fruit, so if she likes veg that's great. I know they suggest 4 servings of fruit a day but, again personally, I don't see what she'll get out of fruit that she won't from veg. It's not going to be easy and I have masses of respect for any parent coping with this. I wish you and your family all the very best and would love to hear how she's doing.

At this moment she's only 1 year old and still learning to eat 'real food'. She's still on milk and wholegrains most of the time, simply cause that is what you feed babies, :wacko:, not sure yet how and when I'm going to reduce on that...

She likes some of her greens, but not all. Work-in-progess though! I'm still maneouvering between 'regular' babyfood (which is pretty good on bio-meat end greens, but does have potatoes and rice in it) and home-made whole9-approved stuff. She likes things (and dislikes things) from both categories. I'm fairly new to paleo-style living, so I'm still balancing myself also.

Setting the right example is step one, but she simply doesn't enjoy paprika's yet :)

I definitly need to do some more research on recipies for babies/small children, I guess.

Maybe I should have a look in the pregnancy-section of the forum

There's a W30 for kids section where a lot of parents have talked about introducing healthier foods. My *kids* are 27 and 24 now so I'm just a tad rusty on that :) . I have to say I wish when they were little I'd known then what i know now about healthy eating, especially for my son. He's on the autistic spectrum and so set in his ways that there's only 6 foods he eats, none healthy :( but he's too old for me to change anything now. Hopefully some other parents of young children may be able to give you advice on introducing new food choices which you can adapt to your circumstances. Good luck

I have no practical advice to offer, either, except to agree with Kirsteen - feeding her as healthy as possible now, while she is still open to trying new foods and relatively pliable with behaviors is only going to make her life better. Perhaps by the time she's living in a group setting, the outlook on food will have changed. I would encourage you to be her advocate as much and as long as possible. Please do come over to the Kids section - we'd love to hear more and help as much as possible.

Blessings to you and yours all along this path.

Archived