Not enough fruit, says the fiance

Kate Winter

My fiance works with a nutritionist who said that Whole30 is starving our brains, because we need to get the sugar to our brains to function. I told him 1 serving of fruit per day should be good, but this nutritionist said that you need at least 3 servings to get the sugar across the blood brain barrier. Any suggestions? Am I way off on my 1 serving/day suggestion?

Thanks!

• Moderators

You don't need any fruit at all ever in your whole life. You get more of everything you need from veggies than fruit. Seriously. Compared to vegetables, fruit is light on nutrition. I could say this more strongly, but will stop here. :)

• Moderators

You can walk around the produce section of Whole Foods and see what I am talking about. Whole Foods posts ANDI scores for fruits and vegetables. Aggregate Nutrition Density Index. Veggies dominate the top end of the ANDI rankings. Fruit is at the low end. Here is a link to some online information... http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/healthy-eating/health-starts-here/resources-and-tools/top-ten-andi-scores

Fruit is not bad food, it is simply not as good as veggies. And food is a lot more than sugar or starch or protein. People talk like that is all that matters, but the micronutrient content is critical and that is where veggies shine.

Remember, your body can make glucose, so long as you are eating protein. You technically don't have to eat carbs at all. I know Mark Sisson has touched on this topic a lot on his blog, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance," even though I don't agree with some of their recommendations, talks about the science behind how glucose functions in the body.... But then again, I think most paleo diet books do to some degree.

You have to remember that nutritionists are trained to follow the food pyramid. Unless they spend time thinking outside the box, I wouldn't put much weight in what they say. ;-)

• 4 months later...

I recently went to a (qualified! lol) nutritionist for some advice on eating without gluten. They gave me recipes full of wheat and other ingredients loaded with gluten.

They don't learn a lot of science so you'll find they can't back up any of their claims, just tell you what they learned in training.

• 4 months later...

Can u tell me wich starchy vegetables are the best? And is absolutely necessary eat this kind of vegetables?

Starchy vegetables are things like sweet potato, butternut, beetroot, carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, turnip etc. it's not necessary to eat these types of vegetables but most people feel better and perform better when they include these more carb dense options

Archived