Still got the afternoon slump

Ottagon

Hi, all. On day 19 here. Seeing no apparent benefits yet, but whatever, I can be patient for 11 more days.

One thing that's bugging me, though, is that I still get the "afternoon slump," and it seems worse than ever--seems to alternate between days with moderate depression and days where I just can't even stay awake. This is bad for my job! I go home and crash out with a nap for a couple of hours, then take care of my chores, eat, workout, and then it's time for bed. Seems like I don't have time for anything anymore.

I've been SUPER strict with this, and I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough. An ordinary day goes something like:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, banana, carrots

Lunch: Tuna, piece of fruit, hardboiled eggs, nuts

Dinner: A fully prepared meal of some kind -- last night was onion and ginger curry soup with pecan-crusted tangerine chicken. The night before, cinnamon beef stew and jicama home fries.

I've experimented with adding in more starchy vegetables, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

• Moderators

Your food does look good. And if you are eating portions commensurate with 4 eggs at breakfast, you are probably eating enough.

How much sleep are you getting at night? If I nap in the late afternoon/early evening, I can't get to sleep until it is very late.

You mention days with moderate depression. Depression can mess with sleep and frequently manifests as feelings of tiredness. Eating good can help, but sometimes more assistance is needed. I went on an antidepressant in 1996 or 1997 and stayed on it for 1 or 2 years. When I was a psychotherapist, I talked 100s of people into going on an antidepressant. I never imagined that one day it would be me needing some help, but life happens. :)

Thanks for the reply, Tom. I'm getting about 7 hours of sleep a night. I usually fall asleep after 10-15 minutes, but I tend to wake up automatically before I feel "ready."

With the depression -- it used to be an issue, a long time ago. I went on Prozac for it for a couple years, got better, and haven't needed it since.

When I first started into Paleo-ish type of eating about a year and a half ago, besides going off of most grains the thing that helped my ADHD the most was eating more fat. I know they are not the same thing but the nervous system does like it's fats. And I include lots of lacto-fermented vegetables and drinks to tip the balance of beneficial bacteria in my gut. I add a little as a condiment to almost every single meal and have no negative effects from doing this. Your meals look delicious btw! I want to try the jicama home fries- just got wellfed.

Renee, I've only had the energy to begin working out again this week -- three weightlifting sessions and one jog a week is all I can fit in for now. I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough, because I feel sort of stretched and bloated when I'm done sometimes. It doesn't feel good. Maybe I'm eating too much?

Archived