March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everyone! I'm starting on Saturday, which is close enough to the first. I'm super excited. Haven't read ISWF yet but ordered it, but just finished reading Wheat Belly and have already cut most of the gluten and dairy out of my diet (this past month), and I feel fantastic! I haven't had a chance to read any recipes yet, so I look forward to hearing what everyone is making.

One thing I am a little concerned about though: I just started CrossFit and even though its fantastic I am SO SORE...so I purchased some Progenex Recovery to take after my workout, as it is supposed to work quicker than eating a protein/veggie. I know its not W30 approved because of the added sugar (and its a shake), but does anyone have any opinions? My soreness is usually in my legs for 3 days, which is just way too long in my opinion. I know it will get better with time though. I think I actually found a thread about that product on this site to begin with, which actually got me started looking into this program.

Anyways, enough of the side-bar...can't wait to go shopping on Friday and am already bombarding co-workers with bags of "healthy" pretzels and pasta from my pantry. Now I just need to get the beer out of the house.

Jade, we're going to need a recipe for those rissoles! It seems common to have issues with breakfast.... I was always a granola / yogurt girl, and usually a large fruit snack followed shortly. Now I have two eggs with leftover veggies, or leftover "hash" (ground meat and veggies), sweet potatoes, and a handful of blueberries. This keeps me full until noon.

Yes Renee, I feel you! Had to whine a little today when even though I wanted to cave into afternoon temptation I decided to suffer until dinner... thinking to myself I might as well start practicing, Friday is the first day of the "best" of my life! Snacks are my nemesis, this time around I am going to try cutting them unless there are audible stomach reasons!

Majken, I suggest ditching the recovery drink. Sugar is a NO for Whole 30. Active recovery is the best solution for me when it comes to Crossfit soreness (I even asked my coach after the first week, "Do you ever stop being sore?!" He just grinned. : ) I try to get out for a hike on my off days, and I roll out my sore muscles after each workout (on a foam roller and / or a roller stick) Be sure to stretch before and after!

OK the countdown has begun!! Days three, two, one...

I completed a Whole21 back in December and tried to start a Whole30 this week. Unfortunately, I gave in to the sugar temptation. I have trouble saying no to things that are technically Whole30, like fruit. For this Whole30, I'm going to cut out fruit except what's in a Primal Pac. lol! (;

So, I'm in! :D

Hi everyone :) I actually decided to start tomorrow (28th Feb) to be done on the Good Friday as we will most likely have some family Easter celebrations starting on March 30th. I'm not particularly religious, but I like me some good cheesecake ;) So I'd like to have an option of eating "normal" although I'm not sure I'll still want to have cake after this.

I did Whole18 in January but then went down a slippery slope and I'm not in a good place now when it comes to my relationship with food (never have been really, I remember my parents telling me I should lose weight when I was four... Not trying to blame my parents for anything, but still). Physically I'm quite OK although I wouldn't mind toning up a bit ;) So I'd really like to join the March crew :)

I do believe I'll join you all for this one! Also, (I'll just wait here for your mental drumroll) so will my husband! Which will be kind of epic and kind of annoying.

I haven't decided whether to do AIP this time or not- he's not, but is cutting out the nightshades. Hopefully I'll get it worked out in my head, like, today?

i'm getting excited...my kids are not as much...they were telling me "you mean you aren't gonna buy us bread? you are really going to just have us eating meats and veggies for dinner???" (i may make the kids some SWYPO desert or let them have more fruit and/or fat than i'd eat, but for the most part they'll be eating the same foods i am, while they are at home...this time around i'll let them continue eating what they usually do at lunch when they are at school, but next time i plan on having them do the whole thing with me). i went shopping yesterday and stocked up on chicken breasts and some grass fed beef and sea scallops and organic eggs and plenty of veggies and avocados.

I'm in! Warming up beginning today. Official start on the 1st. I have attempted W30 a few times in the past but have never made it the full 30 days. If I'm truly honest with myself the number one reason for this is alcohol. Most of my adult life has revolved around stressful work or life events followed by blowing off steam with week-end rewards in the form of alcohol and food. More than anything else, it's important to me that I break this cycle. I always start strong and by midway I end up justifying old ways and introducing "balance" in the form of week-end treats. It doesn't help that my husband and children have adopted the same cycle and are nowhere near wanting to change it. I'm not going to force this change on them which means it will make it that much more difficult for me to go it alone. However, I'm confident that once I succeed it will be much easier to get them on board. I'll be looking for support and reinforcement on this forum. :)

Welcome everyone!!

red dog, I'm cutting fruit for the most part, too. Just too easy as a sugary substitute. A handful of blueberries in the morning is my big treat.

Magda, I think lots of people try this due to food relationship issues. We all come from learned patterns... awareness is the first step! So welcome. It is my limited experience that you will see a significant shift in your view of food by sticking to the program. I know personally I got kind of disgusted thinking about things I used to crave!

Joey, your husband comment made me laugh out loud!! I hope that sharing the experience will be positive for you both. I never tried to convince my husband, just quietly went about eating my meat and veggies... I don't think he even noticed anything different until we tried eating out - at which time he claimed I was "extreme" - this was on Day 27ish, mind you!! Husbands. :rolleyes:

Wendy, welcome and hope you find lots of support here! Tell us how you are preparing for this journey!

simonec, including the kids is SO brave. I couldn't do it myself, and luckily wasn't tempted by cooking "normal" food for my teenager and 10yo. I would love to hear more about what you are serving to the little guys and how they are adapting!

Heather, I actually quit alcohol myself 3 1/2 years ago. It was REALLY tough and obviously, I found great ways to replace all that sugar... no doubt Whole 30 will make it much easier for you. I would like to personally extend my support!

OK Phanniemae, one day to go...

GET PSYCHED EVERYONE :D :D :D :D :D

I'm in! First time trying this. My friend, fellow trainer and former boss lady convinced me, although I will say it didn't take too much convincing. I can use all the help and support I can get. As a trainer, I spend all day motivating everyone else, sometimes it's tough not having any motivation left for myself at the end of the day when it comes to my own nutrtition! Looking forward to it!

I'm finishing up my first W30 today. Today is day 30 but I am continuing on into March. I actually "re-started" this past Monday on the 25th. The reason? I read the label on the cashews I've been eating all month. Seed oil! Eek! My bad for not looking. Didn't even think that was an issue since nuts have their own fat. Anyway. I didn't crash. My brain (sneaky bitch) was telling me to "just give up already. You ate seed oils! You might as well cave this last week since you blew it and start over March 1st." Well, I told her to shut up. I can re-start mid stride. Kind of like stopping to tie a shoe during a 10K. Tie and go. So, that's what I did. I will go ahead and weigh and measure tomorrow like I was supposed to and use those as my new body composition markers for my second round.

I had planned on extending it anyway because I still feel I have demons to deal with. Sugar dragon. Mindless snacking when I'm not hungry enough to eat. Some days my energy is lacking. Digestion. I was hoping menopause symptoms would ease up too but not yet. So, I soldier on.

I've noticed a common thread in that many of us are migrating from a way of life where convenience foods were a big part of what we ate. I'm really busy at work presently and I'm expecting it to interfere with my meal preparation so I've ordered a Paleo Success kit from Premade Paleo. I won't rely on this completely but I think it's good to have as backup for those nights when I work too late and don't feel like cooking or if I work through a week-end and don't have time to do enough prep for the week ahead. It is a bit on the pricey side but since I'm not eating out or drinking alcohol there will be considerable savings to offset. I expect to receive my order on Monday, hope the meals are as good as they look.

I'm finishing up my first W30 today. Today is day 30 but I am continuing on into March. I actually "re-started" this past Monday on the 25th. The reason? I read the label on the cashews I've been eating all month. Seed oil! Eek! My bad for not looking. Didn't even think that was an issue since nuts have their own fat. Anyway. I didn't crash. My brain (sneaky bitch) was telling me to "just give up already. You ate seed oils! You might as well cave this last week since you blew it and start over March 1st." Well, I told her to shut up. I can re-start mid stride. Kind of like stopping to tie a shoe during a 10K. Tie and go. So, that's what I did. I will go ahead and weigh and measure tomorrow like I was supposed to and use those as my new body composition markers for my second round.

I had planned on extending it anyway because I still feel I have demons to deal with. Sugar dragon. Mindless snacking when I'm not hungry enough to eat. Some days my energy is lacking. Digestion. I was hoping menopause symptoms would ease up too but not yet. So, I soldier on.

Lisa, I'm really interested in hearing the results of your first Whole 30 and I'm very impressed that you're taking on another. I'm actually planning to do a Whole 60 rather than 30 so it's great to see that you can overcome the sneaky brain ;)

For those of you who have done this before, how do you handle social occasions and eating out? Friday(the first day!), I'm chaperoning a field trip all day - won't get home until 7 or so, so I'm packing a Paleokit for lunch that day. On Sunday, I have a baby shower to go to. I'm planning on eating a good sized lunch beforehand, and bringing some almonds and carrots to snack on in my purse in case they don't have any plain fruit or veggies. Tuesday I'm in district meetings all day, and everyone from my school goes to lunch together. I won't have access to a microwave or refrigerator that day, so I'm struggling with what to do for lunch. Should I just do another Paleokit, and not go to lunch with all of my colleagues? Help please!

Laura, the secret is to stop caring about what people think about how/what you're eating. Eating together is very social, but for these 30 days, you really have to accept and come to terms with the fact that you're going to be the red-headed stepchild and OWN IT.

Salads travel pretty well and grilled chicken/steak won't need to be refrigerated for the length of time that you're talking about. I nest my tupperware when I do salads on the go: BIG tupperware for the greens, medium one inside for the protein, and a tiny one for the dressing.

And if people look at you weird, just say it's for 30 days. You made a commitment to yourself and others, and you're just going to be the weirdo carrying around her own food for a while.

You definitely can be more lax post-W30, but for your first...it's good to own the weird :)

Thanks Renee! Thankfully, most of my co-workers have already accepted my eating habits as weird. We've been eating Primal(ish) for the past 2 years, but are hoping that this will improve our health and help us get over the sugar demons that still chase us around. :)

I'm starting on March 1st!! I can't wait to get started :) I am almost done reading ISWF and going to plan my weeks worth of meals tonight. My family and I are Catholic and we are observing Lent which already restricts what I can eat. I am only allowed to eat meat once a day (although fish isn't considered a meat?) and we abstain from meat completely on Fridays so I need some great protein packed vegetable dishes :) I feel pretty confident about this, although getting on reading some people's stories of crashing and burning has made me start to second guess whether or not I will be able to succeed this time. I am very glad that I found a group that is starting at the same time as me! Look forward to working on this with you guys!

I'M IN FOR MARCH 1!!! I did a Whole 45 last year and felt great... then for some reason took part of Nov-Dec "off". I did a Whole 30 in Jan but I started to feel really gassy and had stomach aches all the time (I hear I should get super enzymes??). Anyway, my eating in Feb has NOT been good (GirlScout cookies are like heroin to me) so my headaches and my weight are back :(

I'VE GOTTA GO BACK ON - NO CHOICE!! NO CHEATING <_<

Archived