March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

I'm starting my very first Whole30 on Monday, March 4. I'm almost done reading the book ISWF and have started meal planning. I plan on doing food shoppign and meal preppign on Sunday (my only day off). I've already cut out grains and dairy and most sugar after reading Wheat Belly. I'm really excited to start this new program.

I'm not familiar with these terms though, what do they mean?

AIP

SAD

"nightshades"

Lookign forward to getting to "know" everyone on the forum!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a newbie first-timer starting March first (aack tomorrow), excited, cautiously optimistic, apprehensive... happy to find this group! Will be very interested to hear about people's favorite satisfying quick breakfast ideas. I am not at all paleo and thought I had a decent diet until I read ISWF lol.

Gonna give it a go. Newbie here, new to actual Paleo, but have done South Beach before with good results -- until I started adding stuff. And the second time around wasn't as successful. I had lots of dairy before, and didn't do any fruit, so I'm interested to see how these changes -- just for 30 days -- may impact me. I'm sure I have sensitivities I don't know about, and this reset will be interesting.

I do know that without sugar and grains I felt terrific and lost the bloat, so I'm looking forward to feeling better!

I actually eat paleo-style most of the time, so just removing these things shouldn't be TOO hard. She says.

Looking forward to it, and starting today since I work weekends and this is Day 1 for me.

I'm a newbie first-timer starting March first (aack tomorrow), excited, cautiously optimistic, apprehensive... happy to find this group! Will be very interested to hear about people's favorite satisfying quick breakfast ideas. I am not at all paleo and thought I had a decent diet until I read ISWF lol.

I make scrambled eggs with avocado every day for breakfast and it's really quick and very satisfying. I'd love some suggestions for other quick ideas but that's the quickest and tastiest thing i have come up with. sometimes I do eggs with spinach or other veggies...

I lost 22 lbs!!

Since today is day 30, I'm waiting until tomorrow to weigh-in. However, today I went shopping for my sixty seventh birthday, and I bought clothes a size smaller. My sleeping has improved. For the last few years medical problems along with bad habits have caused me to get only about four to five hours of sleep per night, sometimes less. W30 and turning off the TV and computer an hour before bed has helped tremendously. I feel rested. I am walking daily and doing strength exercises three days a week. I no longer have to use stool softeners or fiber capsules. What those veggies can do!! I have energy to get me through the day AND evening. I feel better about myself.

I make scrambled eggs with avocado every day for breakfast and it's really quick and very satisfying. I'd love some suggestions for other quick ideas but that's the quickest and tastiest thing i have come up with. sometimes I do eggs with spinach or other veggies...

i know i've seen whole discussions in other areas of the forum that focus on breakfast ideas... my breakfast for tomorrow morning is going to be either sauteed or roasted sweet potatoes and eggs fried over easy in coconut oil. i do love the egg and avo combination. even though this is my first w30 i've been eating semi primal for a few months.

sarahmazing, NomNom is my all time favorite blog, and if I had an iPad I would definitely indulge in that app! What is your favorite recipe?

Tristen, hopefully you can find the support you need here. What kind of training do you do?

Lisa, everyone makes mistakes like that the first time around I imagine! Soon you will be a label reading fiend! And shaking your head a lot, lol! It's crazy what they put in stuff. Good job sticking with it!

HeatherM, I am not familiar with Paleo Success... is it pre - made meals? Let us know how that works out.

Laura, social situations can be tricky the first few weeks. I remember attending a birthday party my first weekend on the Whole30... pizza, soda, cake.... I ended up eating salad with salsa on it! The hostess thought I was a nut... luckily I brought some compliant food for later that evening. Embrace the weird, lol! Love it!!!

WELCOME vangrl81, MisMamey, momto3girls, hillwalker, Vibeke, dnewc, KayJay, Mamaw23...congrats on the amazing weight loss, triplesss! As for my accomplishments, though I did lose a little weight and a substantial amount of inches, the best part was losing my taste for junk. In addition my inner "full - o - meter" seemed more active; I could tell when I'd had enough and could push the plate away, no matter how yummy something tasted. I felt fully satisfied with my meals. And I felt emotionally more even, not so moody. Much to the joy of my family and my kindergarten class! LOL

OK people, start your engines!! So excited... and be sure to check for this thread in the regular forum starting tomorrow.... ((hugs))) Kat

Well... heck. It's 2:15am and already I made a boo boo! :P

(I work nights, so this is when I'm usually almost off shift.)

Decided to have a couple of hard boiled eggs and a handful of Schwan's Sweet Potato chunks... I could have SWORN they were JUST sweet potatoes and sea salt.

BZZZZT. Ingredients list dry cane sugar, not a lot but hahahaha no. Processed is processed, is processed. <_<

Lesson learned. I hit the grocery tomorrow anyway and I'll get the real thing.

Hi all,

I've decided to join in this month as well. After contemplating it for a while and trying to sit on the fence. I was motivated by a nutritionist I went to see yesterday who challenged me to do it with her. So I have local and online support.

As today is already March 1st, I've started and I actually did exceptionally well. Very proud of myself. No grains, sugars or dairy and I even got in a walk.

The headache has set in from the lack of sugar, grains and dairy BUT, I've taken something to help with it.

So, I'm off to plan our meals for tomorrow.

Hope you are all ready for an amazing ride :)

Day 31(5): lost 6.8 lbs and went from 32% body fat to 29%. Progress. I don't have that much "weight" to lose which is why that number may seem small to some of you. The more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off. My main goal is to shed between five and eight pounds of fat. And if that 1.7lb-loss (which is a healthy loss) was fat? C-ya! I would like to be somewhere between 135lbs (on the low end) and 140lbs. 142 being my "happy weight". (What that means is I like to eat and a "happy weight" is easier to maintain!) And between 21% and 26% body fat. So I'm getting there. I have to maintain my 107 lbs of lean body mass no matter what to stay healthy. I can't change my lean body mass. It is what it is. You can control everything else. Hence, my focus on fat loss.

I did not document with pictures this time so I will add that to my second round. And my spare tire has gotten smaller. And, no, it's not the spare tire you all think of. This one is below the belt. Right around my tummy. Measure between the waist and the widest part of your hip...right there...smaller!!

The biggest thing for me was how my taste buds came alive. When a clementine tastes like candy and a Granny Smith apple tastes sweet you know something has changed. When you can really taste how sweet something is you can tell right away if there's sugar added to something. Salad dressing comes to mind. Almond butter. Ketchup...

This time around I want to overcome the snacking habit. And we're also encouraged to do another type of 30 day challenge. For me? Shopping. Unless it's a necessity don't buy it. I have plenty of clothes that don't fit (yet). If I've lived without whatever "it" is this long I can make it 30 days. (I did buy that new laptop I've been saving for yesterday...lol) There's the library for books and movies too. My book collection is out of control. Now, if I could just get one of our spare bedrooms converted to that library I want. Maybe for my birthday...

I am getting married June 21st and am going to rock my blush pink silk (yes, real silk) dress!

That's excellent progress, Lisa! I'll be thrilled if I loose close to 7 lbs in a 30 day period and reduce body fat.

I've been practicing for 2 days before my official start (today) and I am sad to report that last night old habits revisited and I "rewarded" myself with a glass of wine, 1/2 a choc chip cookie, and 2 granola bars. I felt like crap after consuming that and, true to form, the wine had me waking at 3am this morning. It is a good motivator to clean things up. Today is Day One and there will be no slip ups. I'm going to have to find a way to relax and deal with stress without stuffing my face with unhealthy food and drinks. I'm really interested in hearing ideas that others may have on this.

I'll be starting today with a nice 10km run (training for a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks). Looking forward to the meals that I've planned for today. Not looking forward to dealing with overcoming my "normal" Friday night habit of eating out and drinking wine.

So excited that my Whole 30 journey has officially started. Hope everyone has a successful day today!

1st Post. 1st Whole 30. Day 1

Hello all. Glad to be here. Experienced "low-carb"er here so I kinda know what's coming (carb flu). A few days of hell but well worth it when I emerge from the tunnel of darkness I've been in for the last couple of years. Just turned 50 and need to lose about 100 lbs. Now it's getting scary! Gotta be for real this time. I have way too much stuff to do before I die!

Anyway, pretty much ready to go. Downloaded the e-book. Cleaned out kitchen (whole garbage bag full of crap) and stocked up for the next week. Drinking cinnamon coffee (1/2 Ceylon cinnamon stick crumbled over the grounds just before brewing. Yummy!) Going to start with egg, spinach and leftover steak omelet. Looking forward to hanging out here. Good luck to all.

i started a separate log for myself...kind of for a detailed spot for me to put all my stuff, but i'll be popping on here to get and give support and encouragement. i weighed and measured myself...man, i have a long way to go, my thigh measurement is 5 inches more than my waist measurement had been in high school, but i think more importantly than loosing the weight is regaining, health and confidence. i started off with black coffee with a spoon of coconut oil and roasted sweet potatoes and fried eggs. i thought i'd dislike the coffee without sugar or dairy, but i actually kind of like it.

kindergartencowgirl, my sons are in kindergarten right now and i have to say i have huge respect for kindergarten teachers, esp. in this day and age...my kids who will barely sit still at home are learning things in kindergarten that i didn't learn until 1st or second grade. some days i'm in awe at the things they bring home from school.

I'm starting my very first Whole30 on Monday, March 4. I'm almost done reading the book ISWF and have started meal planning. I plan on doing food shoppign and meal preppign on Sunday (my only day off). I've already cut out grains and dairy and most sugar after reading Wheat Belly. I'm really excited to start this new program.

I'm not familiar with these terms though, what do they mean?

AIP

SAD

"nightshades"

Lookign forward to getting to "know" everyone on the forum!

i know that there is a spot in some of the forum pages that answers those...i don't know about AIP, but SAD stands for standard american diet, and "nightshades" are nightshade vegetables, i believe tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant and there may be others...but i'm not sure.

I made a yummy onion, mushroom, and avacado egg scrambler for breakfast. I went to make me a canned tuna in fresh salad with asparagus and realized that the canned tuna said it contains soy :angry: good thing I checked before I made it and ate it for lunch. I have some smoked salmon in there, I think I will wrap that around my cooked asparagus, finish my avacado from breakfast, and eat some baby heirloom tomatoes. So far so good. We are all going to do so great I know it!

Wendy- I was worried about the same thing happening to me!! It is so hard to forget to not lick your fingers or the knife or anything like that when you make food for the kiddos.

ok...reminder read labels!!! i was making my lunch and thankfully, read the label on one of my favorite spice blends and saw brown sugar and modified corn starch! so glad i read it before putting it on my yummy veggies and scallops.

wendy, that is one of those automatic habits that a lot of people have...one of mine is licking the spoon after drizzling honey on things for the kids...i have to remember not to when i make them something i promised them they could have tomorrow.

i hope everyone is doing awesome!

Hi Chopper! First timer here, too, and just turned 50 as well *fist bump*.

We can do this, we are soooo worth feeling better and being more healthy -- I hear it doesn't get better from here on out without actually doing something ;) !

I'd like to encourage anyone who has trouble with black coffee to do some checking around at high-end specialty coffee shops (not Starbucks, they have their place but it's not for me), and experiment with real, freshly-roasted (within 14 days), brewed by the cup coffee, especially single origin. Just try out a cup here and there if you have access -- you might be amazed at how much actual flavor is in a bean properly roasted and brewed. It's just a short hop from there to being able to get the same results at home, with minimal "investment". If anyone is interested I'm happy to point them to their nearest recommended shop.

My two cups in the time before work are my best friends -- and not for the caffeine. It's like coming home.

I'm a coffee geek, what can I say.

Archived