March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

I wish my whole family was joining me on this journey. I keep opening the cupboard and my eye just goes directly to the oreos! Not too tempted now but I can see the challenge ahead.

Also must remember to drink my water. And work on portions until I get that satisfied signal down. I feel like I ate a bit too much and by the time I had my glass of water (which I forgot to drink until after my meal) I was super full. But no snacking was no problem! That's kind of a first for me.

Yay for day one - hope everyone had a good one. Bring on day two!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day One Complete! It was a great day overall. The biggest challenge, as I expected, was not eating out and watching my husband eat chocolate and drink wine. I slept really well and woke up feeling fresh and ready to take on my Tough Mudder training a bit later this morning. Drinking a nice cup of black coffee now while I complete my journal. Hope everyone has a successful Saturday :)

Heather, i wish i could say i slept well, too...i had no problem falling asleep but woke up at 2 am to think about what i was going to make for food today, even though i had already thought it out before bed time last night...and found myself thinking about a lot of good foods that would work for W30 that i haven't made myself in a long time...so weird. i did get about 7 hrs or so of sleep, but the waking up at 2 am to think about food for 2 hrs, was a new experience for me...maybe i didn't eat a filling enough dinner (i wasn't to thrilled with how it came out). well, i made it through day 1 even with some weird experiences.

just wanted to pop on and give everyone a huge dose of encouragement! I have never eaten paleo nor done a whole30 and jumped on with the whole100 group Jan. 1, my group has been such a huge support to me, I encourage you all to use each other for encouragement and camaraderie! we are on the downward slope (day 61 - 39 days left) - I'm sure I speak for the whole group when I say it has been an amazing journey! HAVE FUN!!

Hi all, I'm in the mist of my Day 3 here. Still have a slight headache and some huge lack of motivation in the cleaning house and getting ready for Monday syndrome. I need to get my finger out so I can set myself up to succeed this week at work.

I know I haven't been drinking enough water but I'm nearly at my 2 litres with about 750ml to go. Im hoping this will help me with my headache.

How is everyone else going?

Winding down from a very busy Day 2. It was a pretty great day overall but I'm really struggling with no wine on a Sat night. I'm about to have a nice cup of tea, hopefully that will take the edge off. If not I'll take a short walk, I will not give in to old habits. Hope everyone sleeps well tonight :)

Hi Guys, love seeing all the new starters. I did start last Monday, but decided this group was good for me. So a week in and its not that bad. I haven't cheated yet and today was my first black coffee, which I quiet enjoyed (surprisingly), going from prob 2 cappacino's a day on soy, the cravings werent bad and I decided I wasn't going to attempt black till I really felt like it. I haven't done a complete meal plan out as such, but going from someone who isn't interested in food all the time, I am constantly thinking about what I am going to cook next etc. So first two nights I was awake thinking (crazy). So I generally have a rough idea of what I am going to cook for the day, so I have all the ingredients at hand etc, it has worked well, though I don't always feel like the eggs at breakfast, but overcoming that. Though Friday I was busy and under prepared, so I didn't eat properly, just handful of macadamia's, nectarine and carrot for lunch, so I have learnt to have something prepared when on the run or be prepared with ingredient, so thats my little tip of the week. All the best and look forward to all the posts. Also can someone please tell me what american weight loss is in kg, so I know what your talking about ;-0

;)

Hi Guys, love seeing all the new starters. I did start last Monday, but decided this group was good for me. So a week in and its not that bad. I haven't cheated yet and today was my first black coffee, which I quiet enjoyed (surprisingly), going from prob 2 cappacino's a day on soy, the cravings werent bad and I decided I wasn't going to attempt black till I really felt like it. I haven't done a complete meal plan out as such, but going from someone who isn't interested in food all the time, I am constantly thinking about what I am going to cook next etc. So first two nights I was awake thinking (crazy). So I generally have a rough idea of what I am going to cook for the day, so I have all the ingredients at hand etc, it has worked well, though I don't always feel like the eggs at breakfast, but overcoming that. Though Friday I was busy and under prepared, so I didn't eat properly, just handful of macadamia's, nectarine and carrot for lunch, so I have learnt to have something prepared when on the run or be prepared with ingredient, so thats my little tip of the week. All the best and look forward to all the posts. Also can someone please tell me what american weight loss is in kg, so I know what your talking about ;-0

;)

;)

Hi all, I'm in the mist of my Day 3 here. Still have a slight headache and some huge lack of motivation in the cleaning house and getting ready for Monday syndrome. I need to get my finger out so I can set myself up to succeed this week at work.

I know I haven't been drinking enough water but I'm nearly at my 2 litres with about 750ml to go. Im hoping this will help me with my headache.

How is everyone else going?

Magnesium powder will help with the headache, I had this on day 3 as well, but didn't get too bad for headache tablets.

Magnesium powder will help with the headache, I had this on day 3 as well, but didn't get too bad for headache tablets.

Thanks Jade, I was wondering about magnesium as well but I already take 1 magnesium tablet a day. Before Whole 30 if I took two tablets a day I would get a headache. (I'm suppose to take two) I'm wondering if now would be a good time to take two and see how the headaches go. Hmmm, I might just try that tomorrow ! :) Thanks for the idea!

Day 3 done (I started on the 28th), and both 2 and 3 went well. Had a lot of energy on Day 2, slight headache but it went away. Added in an avocado on Day 3, and loving it!

However, I did get light-headed at work about an hour before my first break, despite having eaten really well a couple of hours before. Have to make sure I have plenty of good snacky stuff to hit up when that happens. I'm hypoglycemic... we'll see if that's affected positively by this!

Also have noticed a lessening of bloat all over -- especially in my wrists. And my eyes look really clear and, well, round. Not sure why I noticed that, but there you go!

Onward!

To Heather - I like a glass of sparkling water with a splash of flavored balsamic vinegar when I really want a glass of wine. It may sound strange, but it has a similar warm tangy flavor and is refreshing. You can find flavored vinegars without sulfites and sugars.

i did well with food on day 2, but was super tired so didn't exercise, actually didn't do most of the house cleaning that i had intended to do, so i'll have to pick up the slack today. i slept much better last night, but my back is achy, so i may do a little yoga to help stretch out the muscles that are feeling bunched up despite the fact that i actually took it easy yesterday (maybe i slept in a weird position??? but i slept like a log all night- over 9 hours). having some mild cravings for sweets, but i had half a sweet potato along with my eggs and broccoli and cashew sauce (cashews blended until smooth with water, lemon and herbs) and now i'm too full to think about stuffing anything else into myself (not over full, but full enough). not having a problem with black coffee at all...i may even stick with black coffee from now on...was tempted to try playing with sweetening it with blended dates and a spoon of coconut oil, but thought that would be SWYPO and i like it black, so don't want to go down that road. i do like to occasionally use the spoon of coconut oil in it, but can do with or without.

Day 2 food choices were good, I still find myself feeling hungry and trying to remind myself that it is probably just cravings. I worry a little about how I am going to get so much protein into my diet. Meat is the most expensive part, and finding meat that doesn't have sugar or soy in it has proved to be a bit more challenging than I thought. On day one I had a bit of a panic and worried if I was going to be able to do it or not (I didn't have very much protein in the house) but after going to the grocery store and ensuring I would have enough food to eat for the week made me feel better. We had some friends over last night and it felt strange to not enjoy a beer or munch on something with them. I just brewed myself a cup of decaf coffee and ate a couple of garlic stuffed olives (yum) and felt fine. I am really going to work on recognizing when I am hungry and when I am just craving. I feel optimisitic about today! We have a dinner to go to and I already made me a dinner to take so I can still eat with everyone and not worry about messing up my diet. Great job guys!! Keep it up!

I started on March 1 and so far I am doing pretty good. I had a wicked head ache the first day but I also decided to cut out caffeine so I have a double whammy. The main reason I wanted to start it is because for being a pretty healthy person (I eat reasonably well and exercise 4-5 days a week) I am exhausted all of the time and I just don't feel good. I'm sure the sugar and grains are contributing to my problems so I decided this would finally be the month I could do a Whole 30 without too many distractions. I have been in the kitchen way more than I like to (I am isolated from the rest of the house in there and I am not a skilled cook) but I know as the weeks go on, it should get easier/quicker to prepare meals. On some meals I have to do double duty because I am eating eggs and my son is allergic to eggs. My husband is also eating vegetarian right now so that is also adding a bit of extra work but luckily I don't work outside the home so I have the time to do all the extra cooking and clean up.

I guess that's it. I'm glad this group is here, I like to read about other people's progress to help me stay motivated or commiserate with others who may be having the same struggles.

To Heather - I like a glass of sparkling water with a splash of flavored balsamic vinegar when I really want a glass of wine. It may sound strange, but it has a similar warm tangy flavor and is refreshing. You can find flavored vinegars without sulfites and sugars.

Thanks dnewc! I'll definitely give this a try :)

Happy Day Three March Firsters!

KayJay, label reading starts to be second nature after awhile. I agree, processed is processed, best to stick with foods closest to the source. And I do love me some good coffee... we make ours with a French press.

Welcome TinaGlows! Nice to see you and hope you are doing well so far.

Changingways, I too need to up my water intake. Sometimes it just seems so tedious, yes? I do best with a goal: filling up a quart mason jar and making sure it's empty by a certain time, etc. Have you tried adding lemon or cucumber? At work, I really enjoy just plain hot water in my cup. It's strangely comforting...

Go Lisa go!! I want to shop but still have a goal in mind that involves losing a few more inches all around. It was relatively easy the first time, I'm hoping it goes well again. I too love my heightened sense of taste, it makes eating a real sensual pleasure.

Heather, good luck on your upcoming event! I was a runner, have completed five halves and enjoyed the training.... I'm doing Crossfit now but hope to re - introduce a run in here or there. My 4th grader has signed up for Girls on the Run so I'll be doing a 5k in May.

Renee, hope your eggs and spinach was delicious :P

Welcome, Chopper! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Thank you for the sweet complement, Simonec... I love my job. Though on even the best days it can feel like trying to keep 26 kittens in a box.

Wendy, knife licking happens. Indeed, so does finger licking and popping the odd thing in your mouth without thinking!! Just keep going.

dnewc, it can be tough when the family continues to eat normal stuff... I still buy bread, cereal, chips and cookies for my husband and daughters... but I kind of see it was giving them other things to eat so I get more of mine!! I make sure there is rice and pasta for them along with the compliant main dishes, this keeps everyone satisfied and guarantees my leftovers. Hey I notice you are in Santa Cruz.... me too (Corralitos actually)

Jtandi thanks for poppin in come visit again sometime...

As for my weekend, Friday was easy as I worked and could only eat what I packed. Leftover hash with ground beef and spinach, piece of grilled salmon. Worked out, ate more salmon and then to dinner with the family: steamed veggies with lemon tahini dressing and half a sweet potato. Next morning we were up at 5 30 for a horse show; cooked up three scrambled eggs and ate them with blueberries on the way to the grounds. Packed a huge salad and the other half of the sweet potato, along with some roast beef slices rolled up with mustard. Ate the salad at lunch break and the rest with a cup of coffee after the show. Watched my husband eat a hot fudge brownie sundae and a cheeseburger on Texas toast from Foster Freeze. Looked gross ha ha. This morning I had the usual, eggs with Trader Joes' organic "power greens" and half an avocado with Crystal Hot Sauce. I was SO HAPPY to find my favorite hot sauce was compliant! It's the little things ha ha Dinner will be chicken and lots of vegetables, probably roasted broccoli (I can eat a whole bag) along with homemade mayo - my favorite!!

Sending everyone a great big hug today. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and I'll be checking in soon.... Love KAT

Ok I give! I was very tempted wanting to join in this group for march. I didn't because I have a fun birthday party on the 15 for me and for sure would want some drinks. However, knowing that, I feel like its totally bringing me down and giving me excuses to not do well at all. One day is leading to another and its just really bad. I. Need. Structure!!! I am happier than I've been in a long time. I don't know why I feel the need to shove things in my mouth- I'm not hungry.

So I figure its better to not have a drink at my party than to gain all my weight back, feel lousy and disappointed in myself. So Day one starts tomorrow!!!! I've been saying this a lot lately lol. But hopefully I will feel accountable this time reporting to this group. I did a whole44 jan/feb. I know I can do it! I will reread and finish ISWF, review the daily emails for motivation. I'm sitting here watching Insanity on TV lol. Maybe ill try those 3 times a week. I'm doing crossfit once a week - hope to do twice when I can fit it in. I plan to continue running 2-3 times a week. And drink water!!! 1/2 marathon is April 20. My goals are to control my sugar butthead. Rid the bloat I've packed on the last week and define/tone my body for summer:). But mainly to control for good my emotional/boredom/mindless eating. Why is it so hard??? Boo.

Cheers!!! And good luck to all of you:)!

I am also a March 1st starter! I have officially made it through both a dinner party and church snack time without shoving something that's not allowed into my mouth and feeling pretty good about it! wow though...willpower...willpower...

so glad to hear that your favorite hot sauce is compliant...i used to only eat eggs with hot sauce for a while...i still prefer to have hot sauce on them if i do a big egg and veggie scramble.

i can definitely see how it could feel like trying to keep 26 kittens in a box...just having my 2 home for a couple days or weekend it can be crazy...i can imagine trying to teach 26 of them has got to mean some crazy days.

as the day has gone one i've been less achy...yay!

Changingways, I too need to up my water intake. Sometimes it just seems so tedious, yes? I do best with a goal: filling up a quart mason jar and making sure it's empty by a certain time, etc. Have you tried adding lemon or cucumber? At work, I really enjoy just plain hot water in my cup. It's strangely comforting...

Thanks Kindergartencowgirl, Today is my Day 4 and I woke up with a very bad headache around 3am. I did take some pain killers but downed a lot of water and when I woke up I felt better but drank another 750ml (1.5 US pints). I did have a good breakfast but I'm annoyed that there isn't much in the house for the way of lunch. So I have to go to the grocery store and get some kind of salad or something to have with my tuna at lunch. The grocery shopping kind of seems never ending.

Anyway, here's wishing you all good luck with your Whole 30 days and hoping it will be and easy day for all! :)

Cheers!

Long weekend. Birthday on Thursday and had my last hurrah with a big banana split. Dinner out with the girls on Friday. Grandfather had a heart attack Sat afternoon, (he's still hanging in there, but not out of the woods yet) so getting stuck at a hospital for hours without great food access sucked.

Family birthday celebration today with cake (for everybody else) and my mom bought me a piece of cheesecake special, because she knew i wouldn't eat the cake. And i STILL had to turn down the cheesecake. Was emotionally battered by all of the family members, "just don't tell the forum" and "just start over on Monday" blah blah blah.

Had strawberries and bananas with coconut instead. It was delicious, and I won't hate myself in the morning. :)

(Oh, and I froze the cheesecake for April) :)

Day 3 done! The highlight of my day was donating my fancy body weight analyzer scale and weight watchers food scale to Value Village, I even took a pic :) Funny that as we were approaching the donation center I got butterflies in my stomach. This week-end was truly a turning point for me. Hope everyone had a successful day, good night all! Day 4, here we come!

Tomorrow is my official Day One. I have never spent so long selecting, washing and prepping food as I did today. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know it will get easier as I figure it out....but just wow.

My question of the day, choosing between Organic Valley organic eggs and eggs from local free-range hens. Which is better? I went with the local this week. They just looked better, so cute with their spots and various sizes. Does it really make a big difference?

Archived