March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

Starting day 3 with eating a grape at a time! Up last night with flu and just trying to go slow and get some strength back. Hoping to make it into work later. I dont think ill have any problem stayig compliant today:)

Have a good day everyone!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6 and HOLY CHANGES!

Have you guys truly taken stock of all the things that have changed for you in the past few days? I really struggle with this. Even if I write things down, I usually forget something. Plus, when things start to feel better, you don't notice that something's changed because your body is no longer telling you something's wrong.

For example...

I was diagnosed with periodontal disease a few years ago. My dentist and periodontist told me that the pain was just something I would have to live with. Well, after doing my first Whole21+, I noticed my teeth/gums weren't hurting AT ALL. Fast forward a few months... One of my molars started hurting pretty bad (maybe two weeks ago). Now, it's not hurting even a bit! I hadn't even noticed it was pain free, but it must've been on Day 3 or 4 that it stopped hurting. Just a few days and already, something amazing has happened!

Plus, my memory and sleep are already better. And I'm happier and have more energy. :D:D

Point of the story...

Be sure to look at the little things when evaluating how your Whole30 is going. Even if you don't drop a kajillion pounds, or make tons of gains at the gym, your body is still happier than it was before! (;

Day 6 and HOLY CHANGES!

Have you guys truly taken stock of all the things that have changed for you in the past few days? I really struggle with this. Even if I write things down, I usually forget something. Plus, when things start to feel better, you don't notice that something's changed because your body is no longer telling you something's wrong.

For example...

I was diagnosed with periodontal disease a few years ago. My dentist and periodontist told me that the pain was just something I would have to live with. Well, after doing my first Whole21+, I noticed my teeth/gums weren't hurting AT ALL. Fast forward a few months... One of my molars started hurting pretty bad (maybe two weeks ago). Now, it's not hurting even a bit! I hadn't even noticed it was pain free, but it must've been on Day 3 or 4 that it stopped hurting. Just a few days and already, something amazing has happened!

Plus, my memory and sleep are already better. And I'm happier and have more energy. :D:D

Point of the story...

Be sure to look at the little things when evaluating how your Whole30 is going. Even if you don't drop a kajillion pounds, or make tons of gains at the gym, your body is still happier than it was before! (;

it's funny, my gums were inflamed (my dentist said i needed to de stress and wanted me to use a prescription mouth wash 3 times a day) and i was just telling a friend, my energy is better, my moods are better, my gums are no longer swollen and red-ish and even if i'm not loosing weight, i feel lighter and my digestion is much better. plus my sinuses are draining (i have nearly constant sinus congestion) and i possibly have other things that i'm not even aware have improved.

Help, I'm struggling with what to make for dinners. I"m not an experienced cooker, have a very picky (non-W30) husband and am allergic to fish and shellfish. I keep perusing blogs for recipes and ideas but still struggling with ideas. What are you making? What is your "go-to" for a meal that doesn't involve an egg?

Day 6 and HOLY CHANGES!

For example...

Point of the story...

Simonec, that is so great, good for your! Someone called me "smiley" at work today. I guess I'm so happy on the inside that it's shining through. This is definitely a change for me, I'm working on delivering a big project in a very stressful environment right now. I love that I feel so good that the stress is not completely eroding my smile :) I just want to bottle this feeling so that the next time a stupid wine or chocolate craving hits I can remember how great I feel by limiting those things.

Hey all! Just wanted to say hello..I am on D2 of the W30 for the first time. I've done stuff similar to this but I LOVE the book. Really helped me to learn when to eat and how much, etc. Also liked the part for supplements and special populations as they pertain to me and to know how long to go into it before you start to "freak out" if something isn't working and make tweaks with a medical professional. I also got RID of the scale..too often I'll be feeling great and then get on the scale and go wtf?! Not a way to live! By all means add me on FB too (Casey Bjorklund). I'll try to catch up on the thread later!

Help, I'm struggling with what to make for dinners. I"m not an experienced cooker, have a very picky (non-W30) husband and am allergic to fish and shellfish. I keep perusing blogs for recipes and ideas but still struggling with ideas. What are you making? What is your "go-to" for a meal that doesn't involve an egg?

vtgekko, there are some great websites that you can check out for meal ideas, Nom Nom Paleo is a good one. My "go to" is a full chicken. If I'm in a hurry I'll grab a rotisserie from the grocery store (confirmed with my grocer that it complies with W30), or I will throw a whole Chicken in the crockpot before I leave for work. Speaking of the crockpot, other go to's are pot roast with veggies in the crockpot or chicken thighs with coconut curry and carrots. Yum!

I LOVE this recipe. It's easy, relatively fast, and delicious:

http://everydaypaleo...alisbury-steak/

I would second the crock pot idea. Chickens seem to be the easiest for me. I will line the bottom of the crock pot with quartered onion pieces, then put some olive oil on a chicken and spice it up the way I like (I like paprika, thyme, garlic and onion powder, and a little oregano), making sure to rub in into every crack and crevice, and then set the chicken on low and cook for 4-6 hours. So easy! For some easy sides, I just cook some brussel sprouts in ghee with a little lemon and salt and pepper with a side salad.

Simonec- I am sorry to see that your little one had strep, that stuff is horrible! I used to get it all the time when I was a kid. I agree with you that my moods seem better and a seem to have more energy.

I am enjoying not being bloated anymore!! I also had someone ask me if I have lost weight because I looked different :) It made me feel good. I don't find myself craving things until I see or read about them, lol. I like to get onto the paleo food blogs and look at what they have and if I see a desert mentioned it makes me crave it like a mad woman.

The little one stopped throwing up today, which is good, and I think that I might have had a touch of her bug but it never developed into something more than a slightly nauseous stomach (I thought I was going through a detox, lol). I am also noticing that I don't have to eat as much which I found to be very interesting. I am doing much better at eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am full.

AJ10- I hope you recover quickly! If you can make a bone broth and sip it, it would be very helpful and healing for you.

Speaking of bone broth, here is my recipe: I roast chickens a lot and I keep all of the skin, fat, and bones after we eat the whole thing, throw them into a freezer bag and store them in the freezer until I have 2 or 3 carcasses. I cut a large onion into fourths, chop around 3-4 carrots, cut 3-4, stalks of celery (leave the leaves and skin on all of the vegetables) and throw it into the crock pot, I will also throw in 1 heaping TBS of minced garlic, and then toss the entire chicken carcass in, complete with skin, fat, and bones. There is also no need to defrost the chicken pieces. Next fill up your crockpot with water until all the stuff is covered and add 2 TBS of apple cider vinegar (this will leach even more minerals from the bones!) turn on your crock pot on high until your stock is bubbling, and then turn down to low and cook for 24 hours. 10 minutes before you are done with your stock I throw in a bunch of parsley for some added minerals. I like to drink mine for breakfast or part of my lunch, but if you need to keep it for an extended period of time I freeze mine into ice cubes and keep them in the freezer and only melt what I need to use.

ChangingWays- I am so sorry that your coworker broke your trust. It's okay to need to start over and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Okay this has become a novel, lol :) Keep up the good work everyone!

Well, talk about changes!

Last month at my physical, my BP was 135/85, following my 2nd dosage of meds plus a helper med (HCT). Non-medicated I've been upwards of 160/100 before being put on meds, and despite having done really well a couple of years ago (similar food changes) so that I had the dosage cut in half, my eating went to heck and well, there I was, borderline again.

On a whim, I got a BP check -- 118/72!

And then I realized I hadn't yet taken my 2nd dosage of my main med, and I'm out of my HCT so hadn't taken that for two days.

Guys, on Day Seven my blood pressure is normal without meds.

:o :o :o

My doc's nurse said to take my dose (safe to do anything over 110) and get a reading after about an hour or so, then call back in the morning and she'll pass the info on to my doc and then... I'll let you know!

(This could also maybe help explain my light-headedness at work, since I take it before I go in.)

ETA: I've been AFK for a few days and hadn't had the opportunity to update this. BP is back up and I'm continuing the meds, but I have no idea why I had the dip and why at the clinic. I did not feel light-headed there or even prior, I just decided on a lark to go get it done. BUT it did dip down, and it never does that, either! LOL. I did start eating olives in between the two readings, I have no idea if that has anything to do with it. When I run out of olives I'll refrain from eating them for a few days and check again.

Still going strong in my Whole30, though!

MissMamey- i love your bone broth recipe...i may try that one...it took me 3 or 4 tries before i got a broth that would gel up and it was rather bland, but yours sounds better than that, so I'll have to remember that one!

and yeah, strep is a pain...the one that has it is the one that usually doesn't get it, his brother started getting it 2 and 1/2 years ago and seems to get it at least 1 or 2 times a year (my sister was one of those kids who got it all of the time, too...i remember one year where she was out sick at least once a month with it for 5 months straight, or so it seemed). i"ve only had it once as a teenager and once as an adult, but was told i'm a carrier so may not get it but will carry it and other people around me can/will get it.

i've been pretty tired today...the last 2 days i had tons of energy, but today, i feel sleepy...going to go to bed early.

ChangingWays71 - Just start over. Simple as that. You're right, it is just one day in the whole scheme of things and part of the journey. You recognized your emotional eating and that's half the battle, so I'd say you made progress. I have had similar issues with co-workers and I can relate to how you feel. I'd often drown my feelings in a bottle of wine or with a nice "treat" to make it all better, in my mind I deserved it to balance out how life was treating me that day. I know, for me, that's the wrong answer. Sounds like you know that too. If you want this, you got this. Just wipe yourself off and get back on. :)

Thanks Heather for hearing me. Sometimes all it takes is being heard . Thank you again :)

YEAH!!! I'm still here! Things got worse yesterday as far as family and work relationships, but that's ok. It is what it is and I'm still here to take care of myself and by doing Whole 30, that's what I am doing.

Day 7 for me and I'm actually physically feeling really good. I took the day off work today to re-coup and get my brain reset to "normal" so I can face the reality of my days ahead.

I woke up this morning and ate a banana, a small handful of nuts and a black chai tea. I'm planning on making myself some eggs and veggies and chorizo here soon.

vtgekko - my go to is always a fried (in coconut oil) chicken breast crusted in almond meal with salad, avocado, sun dried tomatoes and grilled capsicum. I hope this also helps.

Hey guys! Day 2 of my whole30! I feel like crap from detoxing! I just made olive oil mayo and noticed that my mustard had wine in part of the ingredients. :/ Should I make another one or do you think it's okay? It only calls for 1/2 a teaspoon...

Hey all! Question-Is anyone following the Autoimmune protocol? I was looking at the Sauces and Dressings area of the recipe book and they all call for the olive oil mayo (which has egg in it) or a nightshade. Any other ideas? I am just cautious following the AI protocol for now (minus ghee) so wanted to get others thoughts...

Definitely going to make the bone broth. I was just thinking about throwing another one in the crock pot...

Still struggling with the "need to snack". What the crap?! Decided to not buy anymore of the item(s) that I am tempted by...almond butter and pistachios come to mind. Once the almond butter is gone, no more. Too much temptation.

I do want to finish my second W30 with a bit more positive progress so I really need to get that under control. I'm not really craving sugar though so I know I'm making procress.

Any ideas on what to do with kale? I've tried making the chips but just not a fan. I tried making some last night but they were tough. Any ideas? I also just bought some mustard greens to see if I like them better.

Went on yet another produce run. I go at least twice a week...Food doesn't really last that long when it's perishable...

Hi all,

I'm back on target today. It was a VERY arduous day with the husband and the son. I didn't go to work as I needed a mental health day. I ate a banana, nuts and a black cup of tea for breakfast. Lunch was two eggs, onions, zucchini and chorizo fried in ghee and a pear. I had two more black cups of tea during the day and for dinner i had fish, a banana and grapes.

Although I could have done better in the veggie department I'm not going to berate myself but only try to do better tomorrow.

Ended Day 6 by passing out on the couch at 8:00pm :) I did get up and go to bed and finally woke this morning at 4;40 am. 8+ hours again, this is good. Day 7 today! I have dental surgery at 3pm so that's going to mess me up a bit in terms of meal timing and volume but I'll stick to W30 Compliance. By bed time tonight the March 1 starters will have completed a whole week!

I was doing great, but yesterday I got the headache. A little later than most people. And the sleepies BIGTIME. I found it very hard to complete a sentence, total brain fog. And oh how I wanted something sweet - but only apples in the house and I am a bit tired of those.... must go shopping. That was the first moment I thought "this really is going to be hard"!

I know W30 is meant to help you break cravings, but if you really want a little something sweet is it off-limits to indulge in a some compliant goodie? What do you do?

Loooooong distance hug to Changingways. Good for you for taking a mental health day and getting back on track!

Diana

Starting day 3! I felt horrible yesterday but made it through. I'm getting tired of eggs for breakfast :/. Does anyone have a good herbal flavored tea they can recommend? Something without the ingredient "natural flavors" which of course in code for crap! I love getting these posts throughout the day, they are really helpful! Super motivating!

Diana, I baked an apple with cinnamon on it. Try that! Very sweet! I wouldn't try to make a "cookie" with nuts/coconut flour or anything like that. Do you have the whole30 book? There's some recipes in the back for "sweet" things.

Definitely going to make the bone broth. I was just thinking about throwing another one in the crock pot...

Still struggling with the "need to snack". What the crap?! Decided to not buy anymore of the item(s) that I am tempted by...almond butter and pistachios come to mind. Once the almond butter is gone, no more. Too much temptation.

I do want to finish my second W30 with a bit more positive progress so I really need to get that under control. I'm not really craving sugar though so I know I'm making procress.

Any ideas on what to do with kale? I've tried making the chips but just not a fan. I tried making some last night but they were tough. Any ideas? I also just bought some mustard greens to see if I like them better.

Went on yet another produce run. I go at least twice a week...Food doesn't really last that long when it's perishable...

one of my favorite kale dishes and it's one even my kids love is "creamy kale" i steam kale while soaking cashews, then cashews lemon juice, salt a little garlic and whatever herbs i feel like adding gone in a blender (i like to sometimes toss in a sun dried tomato and blend that up first then add dill and/or oregano maybe basil from time to time) i blend up everything, and add a little water if necessary. the kids don' like big kale pieces so i'll even toss the kale in and blend it...my kids will eat it all before i even sit down to eat if i'm not careful. i had a really good kale salad from whole foods one time, but have never been able to get it to taste as good at home, not sure if i'm missing a step when i make it or what.

Starting day 3! I felt horrible yesterday but made it through. I'm getting tired of eggs for breakfast :/. Does anyone have a good herbal flavored tea they can recommend? Something without the ingredient "natural flavors" which of course in code for crap! I love getting these posts throughout the day, they are really helpful! Super motivating!

have you checked out Mountain Rose Herbs??? they have a lot of single herbs, but also have some great teas, but definitely read ingredients, i can't drink the one i got of there's because it has stevia, but they have plenty of blends that don't (or buy a couple of herbs and blend them together yourself, but you will need a tea strainer...i love blending peppermint leaves and chamomile flowers for a peppermint/chamomile tea).

@Kat13 Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the recipes in the back (I do love pan fried apples with cinnamon) - but last night suffered from a serious lack of patience :blink: . For herbal tea I love Triple Leaf teas - I am enjoying their ginger tea right now - really spicy and sweet and 100% ginger root.

Archived