Don't like sweet potatoes, hate coconut, will this plan work?

BjpRichmond

There are lots of people who don't like sweet potato and many who avoid coconut in all shapes and forms. Neither are crucial to the succes of a W30, in fact no single food is. If you go here

http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/

and download the shopping list, you'll see the really wide variety of foods available. Good luck

Hi Barbara,

Technically you can do this without sweet potato and coconut. You will just need to sub a starchy veg (squash, any root vegtables) to help in certain situations - for instance some days you will be tired. exhausted. You deal with it a bit better with a starchy veg on your side. Sweet potatoes are just an ideal quick and easy one. But as Kirsteen says above - you have a lot of options.

Coconut - ie - coconut oil, can be subbed with any fat - clarified butter or ghee, avocado oil, olive oil (not recommended for cooking though.) you can find coconut oil that has little to no coconut flavour for cooking. Which is what I perfer. At present I am using a coco nut oil that is virgin and cold pressed - it leaves a slight coconut flavour to my food. Not that crazy about it but not a deal breaker for me. I can deal with it.

Coconut butter of coconut flakes - these are just extras that are not really necessary.

On a personal note - I hate avocadoes. I was initially scared that I *needed* to like them to succeed for this diet. And I really *tried* to like them. But to no avail. Maybe I will try them again but for now I am not sold on it and so they are out. So I just have olives instead.

Also not a fan of the cauliflower rice. I mean it looks like rice, has similar consistencey of rice. But so far I have not found a recipe for cauliflower rice that I have truly enjoyed.

So you have a ton of options to play with. So play with them. Everyone is different and has different tastes.

Ghee and olive oil are the only oils I use most of the time and it hasn't been a problem. As I don't tolerate coconut or coconut milk well, I've used broth and even just water as a substitute in recipes. Probably wouldn't work too well if you were doing an expressly coconut-based recipe, but for basic stuff it's been no problem at all to sub out. You can up the spices or seasonings if there is a flavor gap. All best to you!

You can do it.

I have tried sweet potatoes twice and I'm not willing to give them another go. I'm on my third Whole30 (which is actually a Whole100). I eat kabocha and spaghetti squashes, 'cause I like them.

The only coconut products I consume are refined coconut oil (no smell or taste); and canned coconut milk in curries ('cause I like the flavor with curries).

There is SO. MUCH. FOOD. out there. Have fun, go crazy, and don't feel like you have to eat stuff you hate. My fridge is SO FULL right now, and not a sweet potato or coconut product in it.

Plus - keep an open mind. When I first went paleo, I hated avocados, cauliflower, bacon, egg yolks, coconut flavored stuff, and was not a fan of sweet potatoes. I now eat all these things pretty regularly.

I'm still working on olives. I'm trying, but those little suckers are still NASTY to me. ;)

Archived