Constipated for 7 days! Help, I am ready to give up!

JWLS

Sweet potatoes with skin, pears, raisins, ripe bananas, raw broccoli, apples, spinach, oranges, raw carrots, walnuts, blueberries, cucumbers with skin and water...think light juicy fiberous things that move on through and help to push your heavier things like fatty meat out :)

Somewhere on the forum I read similar advice- add sweet potato (I was having similar issues). I added about 1/4 sweet potato to each meal, and seems to have helped. I upped my fat intake (coconut flakes, avacoad...) added a handful of nuts, only to one meal. Not sure which did the trick. But it was in moderation spread throughout and in each meal.

You have some great responses to choose from- I would also add that if you were pretty magnesium deficient before, the standard dose might not be enough for you at first. You could titrate up some and see if that helps.

And rub your belly!

Thank you everyone! I bought some digestive enzymes and do most of the things suggested, but now i have a free more things to try.. I am going to stick to Whole30 and have faith that I will get regular again.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it. The thing about giving up is it deprives you of knowing what would happen if you saw it through.

If the enzymes don't do the trick, I don't think there's anything wrong with helping the process along with herbs or minerals in the short term.

So, stuff like Miralax not ideal (propylene glycol) but senna, tryphala, cascara sagrada, slippery elm tea (the gentlest, in my opinion), vitamin C, magnesium, warm water enemas- any of these things could be your friend for a day or a few while you sort out the possible nutritional reasons for your stoppage.

I know that most doctors don't consider it constipation unless you haven't gone for ten days or more (!) but I start feeling a little crazy if I don't poop every day.

I am on day 22 now, and did not get "regular" until around day 19, but what a relief, that was part of my morning for years, and not moving my bowels threw me off!

I will add that I have tried to add raw vegetables to at least 2 meals a day- it is harder for me to naturally consume raw in the winter months, but I have managed to (just chop em up and throw them in the with others)I think that helped as well.

I also try to cook my vegetables less- when i steam i steam for much less time, or bake my yams/sweet potatoes so they are harder and not soft. (btw, what is the difference between a yam and a sweet potatoe?)

Keep in mind that you may have been getting TOO much fiber. I've had constipation issues almost my whole adult life (and I eat pretty healthy) and everyone kept asking me if I was drinking enough water and eating enough fiber- finally I saw a dietian and we realized my fiber was through the roof (like 50-60 grams a day) which will have the same effect as not enough! I had to take magnesium and try to cut it down but adding no additional fiberous foods (like something added in, etc). I know on this diet, if you're eating a lot of veggies, your fiber still might be pretty high. Just a thought. Es. if this kinda of eating is new to you. *I don't claim to know!* But I know it was a hallejuah moment for me to finally realize why I was having issues! No one ever thinks of this! :)

Archived