Izze sparkling juice

missuswayne

• Moderators

The Whole30 permits using juice is as a sweetener, but not as a drink. For example, if you wanted to pickle beets, you could use a mix of half apple cider vinegar and half apple juice with some spices as your pickling liquid. The ingredients in IZZE are not the problem... It's the fact that IZZE is processed food. It is true that canned coconut milk and olives are processed too, but bottled drinks go a bit far. One reason the Whole30 asks you to eat whole foods is to learn how good your meals can be without resorting to bottles, boxes, and cans.

When you're not doing a Whole30, IZZE looks okay.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
36 minutes ago, mickeymnmnb said:

But that is a recommendation,  not a rule, right?

Here's what the Can I Have list says about juice: 

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice is technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

Technically, you could have this, but you're really better off not. You especially shouldn't have it if you're using it to replace a regular soda habit, or if you have a major sweet tooth, since it's not going to help you kick either of those. It's 30 days -- we're not asking you to give this up forever, just 30 days. There are other options out there.

• 7 months later...

Hi! I’m a whole30 first-timer on day 10! I was looking into Izze as I’m attending a beer tasting tonight and since beer is off the list, looking for something else fun to drink.  I saw that La Croix mocktails are Whole30 approved, so what would be the difference between that and Izze? Thanks for the help! 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, e_likes_apples said:

Hi! I’m a whole30 first-timer on day 10! I was looking into Izze as I’m attending a beer tasting tonight and since beer is off the list, looking for something else fun to drink.  I saw that La Croix mocktails are Whole30 approved, so what would be the difference between that and Izze? Thanks for the help! 

La Croix is sparkling water with a hint of fruit flavor, not even any actual juice. The Izze products are, according to their website, 70% juice with a little sparkling water -- and if you look at the ingredients for, say, the grapefruit flavor, the juice is not all grapefruit juice, it's apple juice concentrate, white grape juice concentrate, orange juice concentrate, and grapefruit juice concentrate. When companies want to sweeten things but in a natural way, they tend to use apple juice, white grape juice, or pear juice, because the flavors of those are mild and don't radically change the way the product looks and tastes, aside from making it sweeter. It's not the same as if you were at home and put a bit of grapefruit juice in a glass of sparkling water or club soda. 

Are the Izze products compliant? Technically (I assume -- I didn't go look at every flavor, so double check labels if you do get one). Are they a great choice? Not really. If you have one at an even, will it ruin your Whole30? Probably not -- although if you have blood sugar issues at all, it may mess with that, and if you tend to crave sweets anyway, it may make those cravings worse. 

If there's a bartender there, you could ask for sparkling water or soda with a splash of juice or a slice of lemon or lime, or if you're less into sweet, I hear some people get sparkling water with olives. 

Archived