Dizzy, light-headed and almost fainted

xacerb8

I had been doing yoga around 3x a week until mid-January, mostly Bikram, but some other types as well. I stopped because of time constraints, etc.

I went to a 90-minute Iyengar class on Day 5 of my first Whole30. Today is Day 16 and I went to a 60 minute Iyengar class at noon today. I found myself frequently becoming dizzy and lightheaded, to the point that I actually was afraid I was going to faint and had to lie down.

This has never happened to me in a yoga class before, not even in the hottest of Bikram studios.

I did not eat a pre-workout meal because I figured yoga is nothing like running or Cross-fit. I don't think I was dehydrated as I had been drinking water and herbal tea all morning.

Does anyone have any advice? I was hoping to take a Bikram class tomorrow morning and I'm worried about passing out.

Thanks in advance!

Dana

Thanks @Carlaccini, I will eat something before I go tomorrow.

@Tom, I actually worry that I might be eating too much sometimes. I usually eat 2 servings of protein and fat with every meal, because otherwise I get too hungry. I know I've lost some weight because my jeans are getting loose, but I eat to fullness and can go from meal to meal easily, just getting hungry the last hour before a "feeding."

This is my log:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7081-whole-30-1-by-any-means-necessary/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks for the input, both of you!

I was about 5 days into my first go at whole 30 when I got weak and faint in a baptiste method yoga (90 degrees vinyasa flow) I spent half the class in child's pose and I've been doing yoga for a decade. Later that day I had a fever and the next I was in bed with the flu- my whole household had it so...what Tom said, could be unrelated to your food, could be detoxing.

Speak to your teacher? There are tricks to yoga that help with dizziness which can often be caused by either low or high blood pressure or not breathing enough. My blood pressure dropped when I got healthier and reduced coffee. I have to make sure I breathe really deeply at the end of a set so I don't get dizzy. Things like raising your head first before the rest of your body, or last depending on low or high bp can fix dizziness problems for many... Hope you feel better soon..

Thanks, all!

I did a Bikram class this morning and just tuned into my body and rested when necessary. I ate two hard-boiled eggs beforehand and had two 32-oz bottles of water with salt & lemon juice to drink during the class.

I definitely was weaker than I've been before, but, I do have a cough/cold right now AND the studio recently relocated and is probably about 10 degrees warmer than the old one. I think I'll just keep going and see what happens. Even i'm just lying on my mat and breathing, it's still worth it. :)

Archived