New life/New Challenge

R.l. Mathewson

Hello,

This is my first attempt at the 30 day challenge. I'm a little nervous, but also very excited to try this. I've tried a lot of other diets before and none of them worked mostly because instead of telling me what I couldn't have, it tried to tell me what I should have like cottage cheese, yogurt, etc Those are all things that I'm allergic to so that was kind of a problem for me.

I'm hoping to not only lose weight, but to bring down my cholesterol, get energy, etc. I bought a journal and I'm going to record all of my problems now, lack of energy, brittle nails, etc and see what changes occur over the next thirty days.

The only problem for me is going to be figuring out enough recipes to keep this interesting. Any suggestions?

Numbers of recipes won't be a problem. The mind boggles at the number of Whole30 recipes out there.

The cookbook Well Fed is amazing.

Google nomnompaleo and go crazy.

Whole30 forum moderator Tom Denham has literally HUNDREDS of recipes on his website at wholelifeeating.com

Seriously you could plan like two years' worth of menus just from those resources - not that you will, hehe, but thirty days? Your biggest problem will be narrowing down the recipes. Promise.

I also second 30C's advice above about modifying existing recipes. I just got a crock pot cookbook that wants me to use canned mushroom soup and packaged onion soup mix. Silly cookbook. I'll be using fresh mushrooms, sauteed in coconut oil; a sauteed/caramelized chopped onion; and some chicken broth mixed with canned coconut milk. Bada bing, bada boom.

Have fun looking at recipes!

I purchased the book Well Fed as a treat to celebrate Day 15 - wish I had bought it at the start! Great recipes, but the best part is that it helped me grasp the concept of the weekly cook-up, which is a great way to save time and energy in the kitchen. And I agree, nomnompaleo is a terrific resource. Good luck!

For the first few days, I just experimented with throwing meat / seafood in a frying pan with eggs and veggies. It was quick and easy, and tasted decent. Lately I've been messing around with some of the recipes on the forum, and they are AMAZING. I'd recommend trying them out as soon as you feel ready - it took me about a week to build up my fridge & spice rack, but WOW was it worth it.

Archived