Cross Fit Convert!

Colleen Roy

How much are you all paying per month for CrossFit?  It is very intriguing to me, however there are 3 gyms that are local to me, and they charge $210 / $195 / $212.50 per month each for unlimited monthly membership.  That cost is insane to me.  I already pay $135 / month for a membership at Equinox which is the gold standard of fitness clubs, at least in this area.  I would of course have to cancel that if I started CrossFit, but the price is simply too high to consider.  I know I live in an expensive area, but it's really ridiculous that they are charging these prices for a place that refers to itself as a 'box'.  Makes me think it's only a fad that they are trying to cash in on before everyone moves on to the next thing.

Like everything, there are the good the bad and the ugly. I did a lot of research and found " great". For what I get, crossfit is very very economical for me. $150 per month/ unlimited access/ semi private coaching/ open gym/ nutritional advice/ competition coaching/ individualized strength training program ..... And once you show dedication, one on one coaching and advice ( not just me at my box but lots of others I know)

I've had lots of private/ personal trainers/coaches from $50-150 a session and all they did was play to my strengths and kiss my butt... My crossfit coaches are brutally honest with me and point out my weakness and shortcomings and help me to improve....

I'd gladly pay 3x the $$$$ for the value I get....

That's my experience andi luckily have an amazing affiliate!!!

Could you direct me to a good source of information about cross fit? I am new and looking for a good workout. I keep reading about people on the whole30 who are doing this and I do not know a lot about it.

Thanks!

Head to CrossFit.com and see the list of boxes (that's what we call the gym) in your area. Most of them offer a free class to try it out. You want to stick with one where you are comfortable and where the coaches are obesssed with form first, reps and weights second. I've been doing it for 3 months, and have never been stronger. Whole 30 should lean me out :)

How much are you all paying per month for CrossFit?  It is very intriguing to me, however there are 3 gyms that are local to me, and they charge $210 / $195 / $212.50 per month each for unlimited monthly membership.  That cost is insane to me.  I already pay $135 / month for a membership at Equinox which is the gold standard of fitness clubs, at least in this area.  I would of course have to cancel that if I started CrossFit, but the price is simply too high to consider.  I know I live in an expensive area, but it's really ridiculous that they are charging these prices for a place that refers to itself as a 'box'.  Makes me think it's only a fad that they are trying to cash in on before everyone moves on to the next thing.

My chiropractor put it this way, he said that even though he had been an athlete his entire life and competed in college, he had never been in as good shape from working out only 3 hours a week. Of course, he goes to Robb Wolf's gym, which is one of the top gyms in the country, and by the way is not a crossfit affiliate any more.

I think it is not as important to get unlimited classes as it is to go 2-3 times a week. It is also vital that you have coaches who pay attention to form and don't push you to injury. I would ask around people in your area for what they recommend. I was going to sign up for crossfit at my gym that I already had a membership at (it would have been cheaper) but after asking around I found that Norcal Strength and Conditioning was the way to go. I decided to cancel my gym membership and know now that I made the right decision.

Archived