Ultrarunning Daily Nutrition (Carbs)

Hey everyone,

I'm on Day 3 of my Whole30 and loving it so far. But I have a question about carbs, just to make sure I'm on the right track. For background and activity level, I'm coming from a year as a whole-food vegetarian, but with some vegan thrown in first three months. For activity level, I'm an ultrarunner that averages around 40-50 miles per week on technical trails (~8000 ft gain/loss per week). I'm 6 ft tall and 151 pounds.

In terms of carbs, I'm loading up my plate at all three meals with veggies like sweet potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrotts—and usually lay my protein of a bed of kale or collard greens. These sweet potatoes are serious, by the way—about the size of my foot and about 3.5 inches in diameter.

I'm used to eating veggies, but I'm also used to getting my carbs through copious amounts of brown rice and quinoa.

So how does the level of carbs sound for my activity level, body size, etc? Any tips?

Also, for my post-run (6 miles with 1000ft gain) recovery meal this morning I had a grilled chicken breast and a behmoth sized sweet potato.

Good? Or should I be getting more? I feel satiated at the end of every meal, but that may just be all the protein. My stomach doesn't have a problem with the meat, but it fills me up WAY faster than veggies only!

Thanks for your help!

Mike, Shane is a blogging ultra runner that you may want to start following. He was staunchly paleo for a long time, but he's tweaked his diet in the last year or so due to time and financial concerns (added rice and other non gluten grains)

His blog used to be sstrains.blogspot.com, but he's moved elsewhere these days. His archives are pretty interesting!

I would also check out Nell Stephenson, she is a ironman athlete. She eats strict paleo and post a lot about her daily eats, in and around training. ---> paleolista.com

Also, don't be afraid of fruit...try adding some apple sauce and bananas to those post run sweet potatoes

Thanks to all of you for chiming in. All very helpful! Today, I noticed a marked *decrease* in my energy during my run (which was reflected in my time). This is Day 4 for me; I'm guessing this is all part of the process of my body recalibrating, right? All my nutrition seems good (or at least close enough at this point), so it doesn't seem like its that to me.

Archived