Muscle fatigue during workouts, 8 days in

kimmy8982

I'm 8 days into my whole30 and for the past few days I've been having terrible muscle fatigue during workouts. I've even been trying to not push myself too hard, but running just a mile makes my arm and leg muscles feel weak and almost "fuzzy." Is this normal? I've seen the phrase "low carb flu" being tossed around...is that what this is? Or am I possibly not eating enough? Is there anything I can do about it? And how long will it last? Any advice or information is much appreciated!

Here's a sample eating day for me:

Breakfast: Omelet made with extra virgin olive oil, 3 eggs and spinach, topped with chopped avocado and tomatoes. Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: 1 cup shredded lettuce, 1 and 1/2 palms of carnitas, 1/2 c fresh salsa, 1/2 c guacamole, bottled water

PreWO snack: 1 egg or a small handful of cashews

PostWO snack: handful of olives

Dinner: Palm sized steak cooked in extra virgin olive oil, 1 and 1/2 c of zuchini/squash/sweet potatos, chopped and stir fried in extra virgin olive oil, water

After dinner: Green tea

I work out in the evening on the way home from work, so I actually end up eating dinner no more than an hour after my work out, which is why I usually dont have a protein heavy snack afterwards. Would you suggest just doubling up on protein at dinner when I do an evening workout? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the tip! I've been looking for an easy protein that I can carry with me and dont have to cook...but I can't find any compliant deli meats or jerky...tuna is always too stinky for me! ha...and there are no costco's near by. I'll have to keep hunting!

Good thing to think about....

Explosive exercise... Pure anaerobic, runs of stored ATP and creative phosphate... Max 10-15 seconds before muscle fibers stop twitching

Above your anaerobic threshold is the glycolytic anaerobic zone 10-15 min until failure, uses stored muscle glycogen and lactate, creating only 2 molecules of ATP/ molecule of glucose

Lower your effort to hovering at your anaerobic threshold is the oxygen utilizing zone, using blood glycogen... About ninety minuets of stored glycogen and that converts at a rate of 36ATP/molecule of glycogen

Here's the butterzone.... Literally .... Lower your heart rate to under your anaerobic threshold, and through training, increase your cellular mitochondria .... They can convert 460 ATP / molecule of fat!!!

So..... Slow down a bit, build up your cellular mitochondria, and you will have a limitless supply of energy .... Takes a couple months to really build them to max... Way to tell is train with a heart rate monitor, set below and stay below your threshold, but train at a constant heart rate. As the days / weeks pass, you should notice your pace increase with no increase in heart rate.... When your pace no longer increases you are maxed out and totally fat adapted but you should be running/ biking at a pace that would have been way over your threshold before!!

Incorporating expolsive, anaerobic , and aerobic zones into one workout is easily doable and let's you exercise longer and harder than ever before, using your stores of body fat and sparing glycogen for when you really need it...sprint,uphills, finishing, etc....

I'm not totally sure what all of that means! ha. Are you talking about doing intervals? I was able to up my speed quite a bit by training that way last year...but went through a period of not running as much so I definitely need to build back up again. How do you know what your threshold is? I can usually run between a 9 and 9.5 minute mile pretty easily, but running at a 10 pace has been tough even. I added some more carb dense veggies and PWO protein today and have been feeling a bit better! I probably just need to give my body time to adjust and take a day off between workouts for now.

Archived