Whole 30 ... Away from Home

EmilyGray

DAY 20, DAY 21 & DAY 22

Thought I would check in today as it's coming up to my final week of my first WHOLE 30. These last few days have been a bit disappointing since I haven't felt that great. I have been feeling as if I'm on the verge of a migraine and my blood sugar has felt wonky. And yet I am continuing to eat the same. I feel as if my hormones are imbalanced and I'm not sure why. I hope it's not as a result of my food choices. I am hoping it is just stress, related to all the changes in my life right now. I will be away from home starting tomorrow for 4 weeks and I'm going to miss my daughter and my husband. After this I will be moving to another city for work and will only be able to see my family on weekends. Although this situation should only last a few months I'm not looking forward to it and imagine it will feel like forever. So with all this going on I haven't been as focused on my eating habits as I could have been. But I still feel as though I have been about 95 per cent compliant. I just haven't been excited about my Whole 30 over the past week. But I plan to go into this last week with some more energy and enthusiasm. I see this as a lifestyle change and so I know this won't end for me when my W30 concludes. Still I want to complete this W30 with some integrity :-)

I have a spatchcocked chicken in the oven which we will be eating with broccoli. I expect it will be yummy.

DAY 23

Breakfast: coconut water (I know, hardly a satisfying meal. I was late getting up and had to catch an early plane, and wasn't prepared for breakfast)

Mid-morning: melon, strawberries, grapes, pineapple mini plate (I picked this up quickly from the cafeteria at work)

Lunch: Mixed veggies with chicken, stir fried (getting better)

Snack: mixed nuts and dried fruit

Dinner: Salmon with green beans and carrots, decaf coffee

So I'm staying in a hotel for the next 5 days and will be eating food from my work cafeteria and the hotel. The food choices are pretty good most days, but I don't have much control of the types of oils used in cooking and in salad dressings.

Today was a travel day too so I didn't quite have my eating routine together.

A nice long sleep should do wonders since I'm exhausted and feel very dehydrated. This usually happens when I am sleep deprived.

DAY 24

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, fresh tomato, salsa

Snack: small fruit cup (melons with a few grapes)

Lunch: Spinach, salmon and sweet potatoes

Beverage: decaf coffee

Dinner: shrimp, chicken, stir fried vegetables, yam fries

DAY 25 so far...

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, fresh tomato, slice of bacon, salsa

Lunch: Chicken stir fry, mandarin oranges

Snack: mixed nuts, fruit leather

Dinner: Basa fish topped with bacon and tomato, red pepper sauce, steamed broccoli, steamed beets

DAY 26

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, tomato, salsa, bacon with mandarin oranges

Snack: mixed nuts

Lunch: Asian stir fry with chicken and coconut

Dinner: Cobb salad (mixed greens, avocado, tomato, bacon, chicken, egg, onion with shallot dressing

WHOLE 28 & WHOLE 29

It's a Sunday and my next to last day on my Whole 30 journey. If I consider where I started I'm quite impressed that I have been able to remove my attachment to caffeine for this period and surprised that it wasn't that difficult. I feel as though I didn't get a chance to really experience the "magic" that others describe, and believe it's simply because I wasn't able to keep it as perfect as I would have liked. Also didn't get the sleep I really need! But I have definitely noticed that I feel improvements in energy levels, reduction in general physical aches, I feel calmer and my eyes feel more focused. I've also learned to eat and enjoy breakfast!! This is very new to me, and something I plan to continue doing.

I have also enjoyed cooking more than I normally do! I don't generally like to cook, but I have had fun preparing Whole 30 meals ... Mostly from Nom Nom Paleo. I love that app!

Rather than extend my Whole 30, since I'm still travelling a lot this month, I will reintroduce foods. Based on what I discover, I expect this will inform me as to the long term food changes I need to make in order to maintain some of the health benefits I have gained from my Whole 30. It should definitely make clear some of my food culprits!

I must say I'm looking forward to reintroducing some foods ... But we'll see if my body likes it :-)

I've been reading Paul Jaminet and Shou-Ching Jaminet's book Perfect Health Diet and it is giving me some direction as to where to proceed post Whole 30. Their diet is similar to the Whole 30 but has a bit more latitude about food choices. I like that it has a similar framework and the latitude will give me some room to experiment. It contains some very interesting information and is an enjoyable read.

DAY 30

This was my menu for the day:

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, ghee, grape tomatoes, spinach

Lunch: Garam Masala jumbo shrimp in a mixed green salad, sundried tomato dressing, small fruit salad (melon, grapes, pineapple, strawberry)

Dinner: Asian chicken lettuce wraps (chicken, onions, bell peppers)

Snack: Coconut oil, mixed fruit and nuts

Beverages: Water, decaf coffee, decaf tea, herb tea

So a pretty nice set of meals today. I am learning a lot from the Perfect Health Diet book I am ready (see yesterday's post) and am quite enthusiastic about integrating some of this book's recommendations to see how I feel.

This has been an interesting ongoing experiment!

Thanks to everyone who commented during my posts and offered advise and support :-)

DAY 31

I thought I would add one last post to my W30 log since I just received my last email from the Whole Daily and it reminded me about the reintroduction schedule! So one thing at a time, right! Adding one type of food for a few days while leaving the rest of the diet Whole30 compliant will make it much easier to identify specific issues with a given food. I won't be introducing wheat products for sure, since I've been avoiding these for 14 years already (for good reason). But I do want to try yoghurt, sour cream, cheese and cream and the occasional legume, occasional sweetener, plus rice and potato (once in a while).

I'm looking forward to this :-)

Archived