Seemingly innocent foods

My husband and I spent much of yesterday shopping. In the past week, we have revisited so many food labels and it has been enlightening. We also have so much more to learn!

We found several foods that we expected to be compliant that definitely were not and we were surprised.

The first that my husband discovered was the tuna in water in foil packets that do not require draining. It turns out that the "water" is actually a veg broth that contains soy.

We also found almond butter packets that have non-compliant oils in addition to nuts. It turned out that many of the nuts in the bulk section are also roasted in a non-compliant oil.

We also looked at three different packaging methods of the same type of salmon in the same brand. Only the larger can was compliant and the smaller can and plastic single servings were not.

These findings were a little disheartening as he prepares for a business trip, but we were also happy to know in advance so that we aren't sabotaging our process.

What other sneaky foods that you would expect to be compliant, but aren't, have you found during your adventures in label reading?

AmyS, I agree wholeheartedly and I can't wait to read more of the book to find out why some of these things have been added. My guess is that the sugar provides fuel for the sugar dragon. Having diabetes, I felt as though I was good at reading labels and my A1c shows that I do a pretty good job, but this has been so much more helpful. Who would expect the bulk bins at Whole Foods to be dangerous?

You are right. Everything.

Isn't it crazy where all of these things are hiding and how important it is to be mindful of what we ingest? I am glad you were able to switch! I checked my medications and prescribed supplements and they have all kinds of undesirable things. I can't quit them (yet, but maybe after some cleaner eating). Actually, the Whole9 recommended supplements list includes a source for one of mine that might be a better option. :)

On the front of the pack: roasted almonds, oil-free roasting method. Turned the pack, ingredients: almonds, vegetable oil. Really?

Also, sometimes canned fish has tomato sauce as an ingredient. I assume it might have all sorts of nasty things.

• Moderators

Manufacturers include sugar in all kinds of things because sugar makes cheaper quality food taste better to most people. The most amazing thing I've found is sugar in canned clams.

Soy gets included a lot because soybean oil is cheap and oil is a useful medium. And they can call soybean oil vegetable oil because soy is a veggie.

Someone on here found sugar in their salt, honestly. I found some tins of Spanish olives online. The ingredients were in Spanish so I had to get an online dictionary, went through them word for word, thought great, totally compliant, ordered them then, when they arrived, realised I'd only checked the black ones - the green ones had msg added to them! Most dried fruit has sulfites added and dried cranberries are a whopping 60% sugar!

Someone on here found sugar in their salt, honestly.

I have that salt, too! I used it earlier today to dust my snowy porch so that we could grill some mocha steaks. Fortunately, I have a compliant sea salt for eating.

i had a "savory" herb blend that contained both sugar and corn starch...it was one of my favorites...so i've been using different herbs/spices and avoiding that one...i'll have to get some more/better spices and blends.

Things that have messed me up

Vitamins... boooo! My fish oil had soy and my prenatal had some weird things I couldn't pronounce and didn't know what they were.

Tea..... stupid soy and "natural" flavors. Had NO idea!

Coffee..... ok this one was maybe mostly my fault..... I bought some "Christmas" coffee that was on sale and it said very clearly on the front artificial and natural flavors. I'm dumb.

Nuts..... found sugar as well as random oils

Vinegar.... sulfites

sun-dried tomatoes.... sulfites

So annoying!!!!

Oh and I didn't have a clue about the salt thing. I just looked and there is dextrose in it. Thanks for the heads up, but no I am totally bummed I've been having that junk for a month.

Archived