Dear body: You're welcome in advance

you_surname

What I did on Day 13

Meal 1:
Chipotle chicken kale frittata, sweet potato, a few filberts, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Kale salad with tuna and avocado dressing

Meal 3:
Stir-fried mixed seafood with kale, 1/2 pomegranate (tasted like a sugar bomb)

What I noticed on Day 13

I could write the same old boring stuff about good mood, good energy and good mental focus. But, snore. Happily, that's getting to be old news.

Here's something new. My cheekbones are coming out of hiding, and it's almost time to invest in a belt or suspenders or new pants all together. Too bad I didn't bother taking before photos.

What I did on Day 14

Meal 1:
Veggie 3-egg scramble, coffee with coconut milk

About 5 miles leisurely walking

Meal 2:
Tuna, broccolini, filberts, pear

Meal 3:
Turkey burger patties, grilled zucchini, sweet potato

What I noticed on Day 14

Made the most of a sunny day and wandered around the Saturday Market for a good chunk of the day. A few food vendors sold goodies that made my mouth water, but I was happy and full with the stuff I packed for lunch. I've been happily surprised at how un-deprived and craving-proof I've felt. Eating filling meals and keeping healthy snacks on hand helps a lot.

There was also the unfortunate thing I wrote about in the Ladies Only forum. I'm okay now and excited tomorrow is Cooking Day.

What I did on Day 15

Slept in late

Meal 1
(around my normal lunch time): Turkey burger patty, broccolini, banana, coffee with coconut milk

Workout:
5x6 squats, divebomber pushups, 1-arm rows (burned about 125 cals)

Post-workout snack:
Stewed beef with veggies, sweet potato

Meal 2
(around my normal dinner time): Lots and lots of beef okra stew with homemade lamb broth (best broth EVER from my kitchen, which isn't saying much), kale salad with 1/2 avocado

What I noticed on Day 15

Felt a bit less energetic and emotionally a little blah today, but it felt good to keep busy with stuff I enjoy. Cooked a lot (beef stew, slow-cooked chicken curry, "kitchen sink" chicken veggie frittata). Worked out a little. Talked an extra super lot with a few of my favorite people in the whole world. Not bad for the stubbiest day of the year.

So, the coming week will be on the crazy side. Better to know ahead of time than get caught with my pants down. I feel like I've hit my stride with cooking and meal prep. Let's hope it helps keep me strong.

What I did on Day 16

Meal 1:
"Kitchen sink" chicken veggie frittata (really tasty and filling), 1/2 sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Slow-cooked Turkey Balti, big spinach salad with avocado oil

Meal 3:
Grilled salmon and asparagus, 1/2 sweet potato, banana

What I noticed on Day 16

Well. This is the last time I can get away with wearing this pair of pants without a belt. Ahhh, Whole30 problems!

Decent mood and mental focus, but my sleep and energy level feel a bit thrown off with the time change. It will get better. It always does.

It's interesting that I don't feel the need to comment anymore on hunger level issues or complain about giving up snacks.

Judging by what's on my calendar, tomorrow will be tough. Honestly, I'm dreading it. I'll soften the blow with feel-good stuff wherever I can get it. Strength training in the morning (deadlift day, my favorite!). A real lunch break around noon. And catching up with friends after work.

What I did on Day 17

Checked work emails around 6am. Added a few urgent meetings to my calendar. Panicked a little, then got busy.

Meal 1, part 1:
Coffee with coconut milk (around 7:30)

Meal 1, part 2:
Kitchen sink frittata & sweet potato (around 10:00). Ate it quickly in my car while making phone calls. Frustrated sigh.

Meal 2:
Turkey Balti with 1/2 avocado, broccolini (around 3:30). Ate it slowly with my work phone off. Relieved sigh.

Meal 3:
Spinach salad with tuna, beef soup with lamb broth, and maybe an apple (probably around 8:00)

What I noticed on Day 17

Holy $hit. What a difference a leisurely meal can make.

I'd rather power down and goof off than journal about the day. I'm in good spirits, though, and so amazed and grateful for how resilient I feel now.

What I did on Day 18

Pre-workout:
Coffee with coconut milk

Workout:
5x6 deadlifts, lat pull-downs and overhead presses

Post-workout:
A few bites turkey burger patty

Meal 1:
The rest of the turkey patty, big bowl beef okra stew in lamb broth, sweet potato

Meal 2, part 1:
Filberts, lots of broccolini

Meal 2, part 2:
Turkey Balti, an apple

Meal 3:
Meatloaf, spinach salad and sweet potato if needed

What I noticed on Day 18

This was my worst day yet, and it was totally my fault. I slept well and felt great this morning. I ate meal 2, part 1 at the beginning of a lively meeting. I got sidetracked with conversation and totally forgot to eat the turkey until about 2 hours later when my energy level took a nosedive and I felt mentally foggy, headachy and irritable. The headache is finally easing up. The crankiness hasn't quite lifted.

It's miserable, but it's an important lesson. Protein at every meal, or suffer the consequences.

What I did on Day 19

Meal 1:
Kitchen sink frittata, beef okra lamb soup, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Turkey Balti, 1/2 avocado, sweet potato

Meal 3:
Turkey burger patty, beef okra soup, kale and misc. raw veggies, 1/2 avocado

What I noticed on Day 19

This is the second-worst I've felt on my Whole30. Woke up with a headache that faded after I ate lunch. Also, emm-effing cramps that make me want to tantrum preschooler-style.

On the positive side, no complaints about hunger today or sleep last night. I was able to dig deep and be civil and productive despite the pain. And it doesn't even occur to me to go off track. I've come too far to start over.

Tomorrow will be better.

What I did on Day 20

Meal 1:
Kitchen sink frittata, sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Meatloaf, raw veggies, 1/2 avocado

Pre-workout:
Half-caff coffee with coconut milk, a couple filberts

Workout:
5x6 lunges, pushups, inverse rows

Post-workout:
About 1 cup beef okra lamb soup

Meal 3:
Bison patty, 1/2 avocado, steamed broccolini

What I noticed on Day 20

First of all, whoa. Day 20! Last night o
ur poor, neglected, love-starved cats woke me up a few times to snuggle and play with my hair. I ended up hitting the snooze alarm for about an hour but got up refreshed. I had mild neck pain during much of the day, but it was no big deal compared with what I've been through the last 2 days.

No shocking new insights from today. It's awesome to have made it through such a challenging week. It's even awesomer to have 10 more days to go, and to feel like I could comfortably keep this up for longer if I choose.

What I did on Day 22

Meal 1:
Three-egg scramble with salsa and avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Pre-workout:
Filberts

Workout:
5x6 squats, divebomber pushups, 1-arm rows

Post-workout:
Hot-outta-the-oven frittata (kale, caramelized onions, sauteed garlic and leeks, chipotle flakes) and sweet potato

Meal 2:
Spinach salad with tuna

Meal 3:
Turkey stew, slow-cooked leg of lamb, steamed broccolini

What I noticed on Day 22

I don't feel the need to journal as much, mainly because this stuff feels normal to me now. I really enjoy being able to say that!

Thinking ahead to reintroduction, I'd like to see what happens when I add in dairy. I'll start with either full-fat Greek yogurt of kefir. If that goes well, next up is homemade chevre.

First things first, though. Keep moving forward and enjoying the ride for 8 more days.

I haven't followed the Forums as much since finishing my W30 in early Feb, but I keep seeing your log title and love it every time. Great that you're hanging in there!

Thanks, Eileen, and congratulations on making it to the finish line. I'll see you there soon! :)

What I did on Day 23

Meal 1:
Frittata, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Leg of lamb, filberts, sweet potato (not enough time to get to my kale salad, but felt full without it anyway)

Workout:
About 20 minute moderate RPE jog intervals at the park

Post-workout:
Turkey stew

Meal 3:
Grilled salmon and lots of asparagus

What I noticed on Day 23

I went to bed later than I should have. Hit the snooze alarm a few times, then was up like a rocket.

I'm really happy with how I feel. And it's starting to feel like I'm wearing someone else's pants instead of my own. They're getting that baggy. It's crazy.

Today I didn't have as many veggies as planned. Won't let that happen tomorrow.

What I did on Day 24

Pre-workout:
Coffee with coconut milk

Workout:
5x6 deadlifts (yeeeeeeah!), lat pull-downs, 1-arm overhead presses

Post-workout/Meal 1:
A lotta frittata (kale/caramelized onion/leek/garlic/chipotle flakes)

Meal 2:
Kale salad with leg of lamb, 1/2 avocado & homemade dressing, sweet potato

Meal 3 (not yet eaten):
Stir-fried seafood mix with bok choy & broccolini, and a piece of fruit if I'm still hungry

What I noticed on Day 24

I didn't notice anything that stood out to me as new. However, a few colleagues who haven't seen me for a couple weeks (and who don't know that I'm W30ing) commented on how "chipper," "bright-eyed" and other cool adjectives I am.
I definitely feel better rested, better nourished and more resilient overall than when they last saw me. It's exciting to have others SEE positive changes, too.

What I did on Day 26

Meal 1:
Frittata, pear, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Kale salad with leg of lamb, 1/2 avocado, sweet potato

Pre-workout:
Filberts

Workout:
5x6 lunges, pushups, inverse rows

Post-workout/Meal 3:
Coconut chicken mango curry, steamed broccolini

What I noticed on Day 26

I don't care anymore what day it is or how many more days are left until I'm done. I don't need pats on the back or other external cues to know I'm on track. My body is letting me know this is how I should have been treating it all along.

Oh! Also, if I hadn't eaten a pre-workout snack, I would have skipped my workout today. The day was so rough and the couch felt so comfy when I got home, I could have just sat there and chilled out forever. But then I told myself, "Look, you had a pre-workout snack. So stand up, right now, and go work out!" And I did. And it was good. Thank you, filberts!

What I did on Day 27

Meal 1:
1/2 serving frittata, 2-egg scramble with salsa, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Bok choy salad with tuna, 1/2 avocado, homemade dressing, tangerine

Snack:
1/2 serving filberts

Meal 3:
Turkey burger patties with avocado slices and grilled veggies, decaf coffee with coconut milk

What I noticed on Day 27

Awesome physical and mental stamina today and throughout the week, and I definitely needed it. Now it's the weekend. Party!

I'm debating which supplements, if any, to take when I hit reintroduction. I'll talk it over with my PCP, but for now I'm thinking definitely Vitamin D, possibly selenium, possibly calcium and salmon oil on days when I don't eat seafood.

What I did on Day 28

Meal 1:
Freshly-baked chicken frittata, banana, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Misc. meat leftovers, steamed broccolini, pear, filberts

Pre-workout:
Coffee with coconut milk

Workout:
5x6 squats, divebomber pushups, 1-arm rows

Post-workout:
I meant to nibble on turkey patty but got distracted and ate nothing

Meal 3:
Beef veggie stew with lamb broth, kale salad

What I noticed on Day 28

I'd almost forgotten what choppy sleep feels like. Last night was rough thanks to a midnight potty break, and later on a very vivid dream in which I went out to dinner with a friend and gorged myself on plain white rice until I almost puked right there at the table. The dream felt really upsetting for some reason, maybe because the first bite of rice was accidental and quickly led to intentional bite after frenzied bite. Cookie Monster would have been proud of my technique. I hated the feeling of losing control, and I woke up feeling panicky. Then I felt relieved that if I had to mess up my Whole30 this late in the game, at least I did so in my subconscious instead of in real life.

Oh. And I'm not even all that fond of rice! If I were to go off road, I'd give the steering wheel a firm, intentional jerk and opt for a log of chevre, a bottle of wine and a good storyteller to share it with. There's absolutely no use overindulging in something I only moderately enjoy.

Other than the weird thoughts and feelings stirred up by that dream, it's been a therapeutically mellow day. I felt kinda sluggish in the morning but picked up steam toward late morning. Nothing else to report other than I really enjoyed this pretty day.

What I did on Day 29

Meal 1:
Kale frittata, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:
Turkey patty, veggie stew, banana, filberts

Meal 3:
Leg of lamb, beef stew leftovers with avocado, broccolini

What I noticed on Day 29

Slept better last night. No complaints. I'm feeling way more enthusiastic about projects other than journaling, so away I go!

What I did on Day 30

Preworkout:
Coffee with coconut milk

Workout:
5x5 deadlifts, lat pull-downs, overhead presses

Post-workout:
Turkey burger patty

Meal 1:
A slice of a couple different types of frittata, sweet potato

Meal 2:
Lamb with veggie stew, raw bell pepper, filberts

Meal 3:
Grilled salmon and asparagus, 1/2 avocado stuffed with salsa

What I noticed on Day 30

Ta-da!
:)
I feel great and plan to write a wrap-up post sometime. For now I'm going to go cook and play and do other things with all this calm, happy energy.

Archived