What about egg beaters liquid eggs?

Tomas Benavidez

NO! I was worried for a second they might be "technically compliant" but no. Egg Beaters contain malodextrin, which is sugar. They also contain a LOT of other stuff that doen't sound like food to me.

Eat real food.

ps. if you are in a crunch and can not find free range eggs, regular eggs are fine.

• Moderators

Like Miss Mary said, No! No to the Frankenfood.

During a Whole30 we want you to eat real food. Egg Beaters is not real food, it is processed food. Even if they did not contain added sugar, they would not be good enough for your Whole30 menu. Egg Beaters are a good example of what processed food is... Most of what your body is hungry for is found in egg yolks. Egg Beaters strip out the yolks, thus removing most of the nutrition and vitamins. Oops. So they add vitamins back into Egg Beaters. However, our bodies don't make use of supplements as well as vitamins within real food. Nature delivers what we need better than a scientific laboratory. And science labs deliver only a fraction of what nature does. You see, science labs add a few things they know we need, but real food delivers a host of things that science does not understand. The advertising liars tell you that Egg Beaters give you all the good stuff with none of the bad stuff, but it ain't true.

I used to eat fat free egg beaters with fat free cheese and canadian bacon on a light english muffin for breakfast. IT WAS DISGUSTING. I'm so happy I discovered real food.

Johnny, it is such a relief to hear you say that. 10 days ago, I wanted that breakfast, but the whole wheat english muffins I could find had an ingredient that my body does not tolerate. Because of my diabetes, I was only allowed to have half of the English muffin when I did find one that didn't have poison in it.

Real food in real quantities is awesome and my blood sugar is even lower now that I am not trying as hard.

• 2 years later...

I just looked this up, as I have several cartons of Egg Beaters in my freezer.  An earlier post comments that they contain Maltodextrin, but when I look at the ingredients on my label, I don't see that.  Could it be that they've changed the formulation?  I usually combine one whole egg with one serving of Egg Beaters to reduce the calories, but it they're definitely not compliant, then I won't do that while I'm on the program.

I'm a newbie;  hoping I haven't broken any rules by resurrecting an old thread!   :)

We recommend not thinking about calories at all :) It's quite a strange feeling when you've been counting calories for a long time, but it's a valuable part of the program as you learn to listen to your body, rather than counting.

Egg yolks are full of nutrition, like choline, B12, antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, iodine, phosphorus.

For breakfast, we recommend eating more eggs than that, or you may not make it through to lunch without being hungry.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/ :)

• Moderators

I just looked this up, as I have several cartons of Egg Beaters in my freezer.  An earlier post comments that they contain Maltodextrin, but when I look at the ingredients on my label, I don't see that.  Could it be that they've changed the formulation?  I usually combine one whole egg with one serving of Egg Beaters to reduce the calories, but it they're definitely not compliant, then I won't do that while I'm on the program.

I'm a newbie;  hoping I haven't broken any rules by resurrecting an old thread!   :)

Eggs are a whole food when you eat the white and the yolk together. The nutrients in each part have a symbiotic relationship with eachother that makes it complete. An Egg Beaters product is going to have processed this food into something that it wasn't meant to be and on a Whole30, we want you to eat real food in it's natural state... so go whole egg, and as Praxis said, you're going to want more eggs than that if it's your sole protein in a meal. The rule of thumb is how many eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping. Most people can hold 3 or 4.

(another thought... if you can refer to something as a 'product', it's not the best choice for your Whole30.

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2015 at 9:54 AM, Georgia Kaye said:

Your post sure helped me because I am also a newbie and my very first meal was egg beaters thinking they were compliant since they no longer have any sugary additives on the label. I'm glad I did a search and found this thread because on one  FB group, the  members' answers were divided. Thank you Georgia. 

• 1 year later...

ok.. so I don't have egg beaters but egg whites stop and shop brand..only ingredient is egg whites.. ok in recipes like mentioned previously ? what about in scrambled eggs? isn't it real food if the only ingredient is egg whites? just means somone separated the eggs? I like mixing 1/3 cup with 2 or 3 eggs

Technically compliant and okay to use in recipes or mixed in with actual eggs, but please DO eat the WHOLE egg - the yolk is where it's at!

Personally I bought these once upon a time for my son who doesn't like the yolk and he was able to spot the difference from about ten paces and he has loooooong legs!

Archived