Use for crushed hazelnuts?

Michelle Pacifico Edgemont

Hi! I made some spiced hazelnut milk yesterday to use in my coffee and now I have a ton of hazelnut pulp left. Any ideas on what I can use it for that would be compliant? I once made a paleo "oatmeal" with crushed nuts, egg, and banana - but that doesn't fit into the meal plan guidelines.

What would you use the hazelnut pump for? Keep in mind, it's filled with vanilla, cinnamon, and cardamon from the milk.

thanks!

• Moderators

You might use it as a filler in meat loaf, maybe at the ratio of 20 percent hazelnut pulp and 80 ground beef. Or you might use it in a turkey meatloaf. Turkey usually doesn't have enough fat to make a good meat loaf, but the hazelnut could fatten the lean meat up enough to make it work, although I would probably add an egg too. I know the spices may make the taste a bit different than you might want, but try adding a good amount of crushed red chili flakes or chili powder and I bet it would work. I used to use grated carrots in meat loaf, so hazelnut pulp should work too.

In the future, you might want to hold your spices until you have separated the milk and the pulp, so your pulp will be more neutral.

Both great ideas above, but my palate can get cranky when my "sweets" and savories get mixed up. I would probably make some kind of crepe or pancake (I don't think it's SWYPO if you never ate crepes/pancakes before your Whole30) to have alongside a breakfast salad.

Both great ideas above, but my palate can get cranky when my "sweets" and savories get mixed up. I would probably make some kind of crepe or pancake (I don't think it's SWYPO if you never ate crepes/pancakes before your Whole30) to have alongside a breakfast salad.

Just a note: SWYPO or not, pancakes, crepes and the like are OUT during a Whole30.

Just a note: SWYPO or not, pancakes, crepes and the like are OUT during a Whole30.

Thanks, Robin- I guess I don't have as complete an understanding of the Whole 30 as I thought I did. I'm confused about how a crepe made of coconut (such as Pure Wraps, not just approved but endorsed) is ok, but not one made of equally compliant ingredients?

Not that I particularly want to eat either, but I feel like a jerk advising someone on what's ok when I obviously don't get it myself. Where is the distinction line drawn in a comparison like this?

Hi Joey!

Sorry I missed this before! The best way for me to explain the blurry areas is to use three factors to evaluate the food in question:

1. Is it explicitly discussed in the program guidelines? In this case, pancakes (crepes) are. In other cases, we need a follow-up question.

2. Is it a Food-With-No-Brakes for you personally? This covers things like chicken nuggets, french fries (sweet potato), etc. If not...

3. Does it fit easily within the meal planning template, or is it going to cause you to go significantly outside those portions.

Foods like Pure Wraps - even a homemade version - are generally fine when evaluated this way. They actually encourage you to fill them with meat and veggies and good fats, rather than a crepe which begs for fruit and nut butter and coconut cream.

I hope that clarifies for you a bit!

Archived