TrayS

So this would fall more under offroading than reintroduction.... but yesterday I went to brunch at a place called Eclipse Chocolat (there's my first clue that there's nothing W30-compliant on this menu). But since I'm not on a W30 at the moment I was ok with a bit of offroading. Oh, my, was I unprepared for the decadent richness of the food (and the top-quality chocolate mocha I had to go with it). It was too much. The amount of food I actually ate was quite small, because I was so affected by the sugar that all hunger signals just shut down. Hives,really fast heartbeat, and general ickiness commenced immediately, and I spent the rest of the day recovering, eventually slipping into quite a funk. I went to my favorite yoga class, which usually snaps me out of a crappy mood if I'm in one, but even that didn't work this time. Then, in the evening, I looked at my phone and a work email sent me into a spiraling meltdown where I was questioning my purpose and direction and comtemplating quitting my job on the spot. Total overreaction.

I'm feeling more level-headed this morning, but the hangover is still there. Wow.

@TrayS. I feel your pain. Went to a flea market in San Francisco on Saturday and decided to belatedly re-introduce gluten for the first time since finishing my first Whole30 on Feb. 10. It took the form of a 6" diameter sugar cookie with royal icing and sprinkles. What can I say,...it reminded me of Christmas, and I just finished an amazing brisket salad from one of several famous gourmet food trucks we enjoy out here on the Left Coast. Anyway, holy crap. About halfway into the cookie I needed to sit down, broke out in a sweat and almost lost my salad. I threw the rest away and had to move pretty slowly for the next few hours. Fortunately, I didn't experience the mood shift that the sugar bomb wreaked on you, other than feeling stupid for going so over the top with the gluten + sugar + in public. Although, I've learned (mainly from this forum) to regard these experiences as powerful teaching moments. So I guess we both have that going on. Glad you didn't quit your job and feel better!!

HA! I don't mean to laugh, I'm not really. I am reading your post realizing that before I went W30, that is how my life was ALL OF THE TIME. When I went to the doctor about my overreactions and the fact that I cry during commercials, he told me to take Prozac and a few other things. No thanks! I'd rather ditch the grains and sugar ThankYouVeryMuch.

I'm off riding a bit after 120 days on program ..... Went for sushi a few days ago and ordered very safe... Nothing fried,saucy,etc.... The spicy tuna roll had Sriracha on it and even that little bit tasted sickeningly sweet to me.... Even the rice balls on the Nigiri was very sweet tasting as they add a touch of sugar and vinegar to the rice....

WOW. that tiny bit of sugar was unenjoyable.... Can't even imagine eating a piece of cake!!

Oh... And the tbsp or so of soy I had .... I paid for with swollen joints and the return of knee pain for the first time in months!!!

HA! I don't mean to laugh, I'm not really. I am reading your post realizing that before I went W30, that is how my life was ALL OF THE TIME. When I went to the doctor about my overreactions and the fact that I cry during commercials, he told me to take Prozac and a few other things. No thanks! I'd rather ditch the grains and sugar ThankYouVeryMuch.

I thought I was the only one who cried during commercials! Not on w30.... :)

I thought I was the only one who cried during commercials! Not on w30.... :)

I BAWLED my eyes out watching the Tour de France, 3 years in a row. No Joke. My boss keeps tissues stocked in my office, AND her office... and has even commented that I haven't blubbered like a boob in quite some time now...

Glad I have found out how much the food I eat really affects my well being :)

Next time, skip the chocolate and have a margarita!

(ok just kidding)

That's a pretty amazing reaction....good to know, huh?

The margarita wouldn't have been nearly as bad! Well, maybe if I paired it with caramel-glazed potatoes.....

Lesson learned indeed! I'm still amazed.

I BAWLED my eyes out watching the Tour de France, 3 years in a row.

@30Canandaigua. I find this fascinating. Not just about watching the Tour de France (which makes me cry when I imagine myself on those climbs and the epic suffering I'd be experiencing). But my kids have given me a hard time about the commercial blubbering syndrome for years. I never connected it with diet or health, at all. But now that you and Fenderbender mention it, I do feel less "moveable" now that I'm Whole30 +16 days. Even that sappy clydesdale commercial during the Superbowl didn't trigger much more than a few sniffs. Although I'm from San Francisco so there was all that crying.

So any science that you're aware of that might explain the connection between runaway emotionality and diet? Now I'm really curious.

@30Canandaigua. I find this fascinating. Not just about watching the Tour de France (which makes me cry when I imagine myself on those climbs and the epic suffering I'd be experiencing). But my kids have given me a hard time about the commercial blubbering syndrome for years. I never connected it with diet or health, at all. But now that you and Fenderbender mention it, I do feel less "moveable" now that I'm Whole30 +16 days. Even that sappy clydesdale commercial during the Superbowl didn't trigger much more than a few sniffs. Although I'm from San Francisco so there was all that crying.

So any science that you're aware of that might explain the connection between runaway emotionality and diet? Now I'm really curious.

I haven't really delved deep into finding a scientific explanation... My mother has been telling me that my overreactions are diet related for years. (I HATE IT WHEN MY MOTHER IS RIGHT.) I have never been able to truly pin point the correlation until W30... although I knew she was probably right that sugar +/or wine was probably exacerbating it; I just didn't realize how wicked of a cycle it really is! Last year when the guy broke his leg, I was a blubbering basket case to over an hour!!! My husband was just looking at me like WTF is your issue?!?! I tried to explain that I just felt terrible that he trained so hard to have an accident like that take him out of the race... blabla bla sniff sniff snort.

Maybe a MOD might have some more concrete info as to the sugar/emotional connection?? Good Luck! :)

If you come across anything let us know!

In a nutshell:

Sugar= spike in insulin

Time+ insulin spikes= insulin resistance

Insulin resistance = ( now there's a leap here but go with it) raised levels of cortisol and adrenalin

High cortisol and adrenalin levels= stress and panic like flight response

Prolonged stress and panic response= overtaxed serotonin, dopamine, endorphins ( feel good nuero transmitters)

Prolonged stress= gut problems

Gut problems = depletion of serotonin( 90% of serotonin is used for peristalsis )

No serotonin to combat high adrenalin ..... Yep, your going to be a weeping sniveling, drooling crybaby....

Simple, isn't it???

It really does start with food!!!!

@Fenderbender. Sorry... but that's just a...(sniffle, sniffle)...frickin' beautiful explanation (drip...snort...wipe).

Seriously...thanks. It does makes perfect sense.

Thank you for making me snort my tea out of my nose!!! LMAO... THANKS for the laugh....

In a nutshell:

Sugar= spike in insulin

Time+ insulin spikes= insulin resistance

Insulin resistance = ( now there's a leap here but go with it) raised levels of cortisol and adrenalin

High cortisol and adrenalin levels= stress and panic like flight response

Prolonged stress and panic response= overtaxed serotonin, dopamine, endorphins ( feel good nuero transmitters)

Prolonged stress= gut problems

Gut problems = depletion of serotonin( 90% of serotonin is used for peristalsis )

No serotonin to combat high adrenalin ..... Yep, your going to be a weeping sniveling, drooling crybaby....

Simple, isn't it???

It really does start with food!!!!

This is the clearest explanation I've found on this, thanks!

I keep nodding and chuckling (mildly!) along. I always thought my mood swings were something I had to work VERY hard to hide, because there was simply nothing to be done about them. Now they just do not exist. I have feelings, certainly. But I do not feel like I am at the mercy of the next wave of energy and emotion (or the next crash of energy and emotion).

And here's the kicker. I still daydream, every single day, about sugar. I'm on a Whole100 right now and I'm trying to plan when I can eat sugar post Whole100 when I have a day to myself to be completely insane. That's how bad I want that damn sugar. I have a feeling, though, that I won't be going that route much except in my imagination. So so crazy, the sugar dragon.

@AmyS. I feel you. I still find myself planning to sate my sugar fix WHILE I'm eating dinner. Good to know I'm not *that* crazy and that you still go there even after W100. Robert Lustig, Julia Ross, et al are so right to compare sugar to cocaine as far as addictive properties.

And now I hear the FDA is being petitioned by the dairy industry to change the definition of "milk" so they can add aspartame and artificial sweeteners without having to label it that way. They rationalize it by claiming it'll encourage kids to drink more milk. Coincidentally, dairy consumption is at an all-time low nationally (owing a lot to the Paleo movement, I'd suspect) but it also explains why the dairy industry is attempting this end-around to get more people addicted to their products. And all this while 40 million Americans are already lactose intolerant, 75% in some ethnicities. It's kinda shameful IMHO.

Food politics aside, it's very exciting that your mood swings have been reined in by changing your diet and it gives me huge hope. :)

Part of the claim is that artificial sweeteners will reduce the calories of dairy products thereby contributing to the fight against juvenile obesity. I'm not sure (or qualified) to asess the legality of hiding ingredients once the FDA approves their petition. Hopefully it won't ever become an issue. Not sure what recourse is available if it does, besides suing the FDA. Again, not a lawyer.

Of course you're right, lactose is sugar, it makes milk sweet. The thing is most kids who drink milk prefer "flavored milk" i.e. chocolate milk (duh!) and I believe as of now it has to be labeled as such. So my understanding is this provision would allow dairy manufacturers to basically put artificial sweeteners in "milk" without having to call it "flavored" or list them as additives. To me this is really a labeling argument not unlike the GMO labeling argument we just addressed in California. That one failed and it's not surprising other industries may be sensing an opening.

The contents of the petition are here. And comments can be filed here.

Archived