Day 1: Feb 25th - Anyone want to join forces?

exfatgirl

Hello there interwebs!

I'm starting day one today and am very exciting to jump right it. I've read (most of) It Starts With Food and have begun to read through a lot of the content on the website. Now, time to delve into the forums!

Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone was starting around the same time who wanted to start a "support group" of sorts to keep ourselves accountable. My friends all pretty much think I'm nuts for swearing off sugar and (god forbid) alcohol...especially during St. Patricks Day. Hah! So needless to say, they aren't going to be all that helpful in my journey towards optimal health.

A little about me: I just turned 30 (eep!) and as part of my mini-life crisis, decided I needed to get my health back on track. I'm a former athlete (swimming, soccer, rugby), who has seriously let myself lapse over the past few years. I've always found I do best on programs with a buddy or a group to lean on, so please let me know if you want to join forces! I was thinking of setting up a little facebook group or something to track food, workouts, check in, etc. As a young professional, I'm most worried about maintaining a social/ dating life, when my current one revolves pretty heavily on eating and drinking.

Crossing my fingers for success!

Cheers!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!! I started my Whole 30 yesterday... So far easy-peasy, but they say that doesn't last. :-/ I would be happy to team up and keep each other motivated! Are you a crossfitter? If not, being a former athlete, I think you would love it!

I am 25 and getting married in September :) BUT I have gained 30 big ones in the last year and was looking for something to jump start my road back to healthy/moderately skinny. I too am a former athlete in a sense... I was a golfer all through high school and in college I took up mixed martial arts. Like UFC but smaller scale. I know how that sounds... This bi!$/ is crazy, but I'm pretty low key. When I moved away from my MMA team I found crossfit and it totally filled the void.

So, Happy Day 2! So far I'm not in the Hangover Stage, but I'll keep u posted! :)

I just started on Feb. 25th too. I'm 33 and am a runner and will be joining an adult soccer league soon. I'm the only Whole30 in my family--husband and 3 kids. There is a lot of "non-approved" food around but so far I've not been tempted at all. Mostly just noticing how many times, when preparing food for the family, I (out of habit!) almost put a cheerio or extra piece of cheese in my mouth. Working on intentionality.

Good part of the being the only one: I make the meals, so dinner every night is Whole30 approved! The family would be more than willing to join me, but I'd like to put myself through it first to see if they could handle it. (Kids ages: 9, 5, and almost 1.) My husband wished he could join but has a steady stream of breakfast and lunch meetings where he meets at restaurants--too stressful for him. Maybe over the summer on vacation? He loves bad food (not fast food, but pastas and cheese), so it would be hard for him.

Anyone else have a non-Whole30 family they are working with?

I've also started blogging about this, as a sort of accountability: http://thewholegirl.wordpress.com/#

Looking forward to keeping up with my fellow Feb. 25th-ers! :)

Hi there,

I started yesterday too. I have 2 kids and my husband is the chef in my family so this is going to be HARD! He's good about making modifications to whatever he cooks for dinner but I feel bad imposing my "demands" on him. :)

I am definitely a carb/sugar addict and I am in love with all kinds of cheese. I am motivated, though, because I want to feel better and get off the sugar train. I also have extra weight to lose around my belly (partly from the 2 pregnancies and partly from carb overload). I don't do any cardio, but I do yoga 3-4 times a week.

Best of luck to you (and to me).

Hi everyone - I started yesterday too. I just turned 40 in January and am training for my second marathon, which I'm planning for mid-May. I am a mom of 3 kids. I am doing Whole30 to lose the belly fat, break my sugar addiction and see if I can resolve the digestive issues I have been dealing with. For quite a while now I have had digestive troubles which make me think I have some type of food allergy but I haven't been able to pin it on anything, I'm hoping this will help me figure it out. And to be totally honest about my biggest motivation -- I am going on a cruise for Spring Break and want to be bikini ready!

My boyfriend is all in with me on the Whole30, he is great support and we have been having fun planning, shopping, trying new recipes. I am the mom of 3 kids also, my oldest daughter is willing to try this out. My son will pretty much eat whatever I make, but keeps asking "why can't we have this?". And my middle daughter is the ultimate carbaholic/picky eater. I'm not sure what I am going to do with her, right now she makes her own food if she doesn't like what I am cooking (which is often). I am hoping to just set a good example for her.

I am glad to have a group who is in this together! I am curious what everyone is eating for breakfast? That is my biggest concern, don't think I can do 30 days of eggs.

Hi All,

I began my journey on the 25th too! I thought I would be the only one who chose not to start at the beginning of a month- so thank you for your post exfatgirl! I turned 22 in January and am graduating University this Spring. I figured there's no better time than the present to kick my awful eating habits.

I completed the Beach Body program "Insanity" this past Summer and had fairly good results. Unfortunately "Insanity" never got to the root of my problem which was what I was eating to fuel my body. I ended up gaining the weight back after I finished the program (only 5 lbs, but still disappointing) and have felt tired, lethargic, and moody ever since. I'm using Whole30 to TRULY jump-start my health and will likely stay a Paleo girl afterwards. Except for having red wine every now and then, that's getting reintegrated into my diet for sure!

I live on my own which is nice because I buy all of the groceries and cook everything for myself. My parents are intrigued by Whole30 so I'm hoping after the see my experience it will inspire them to adhere to a Paleo diet as well.

Happy Day 2! I love the idea of a Facebook group as well!

Hey everyone! I also started the whole30 yesterday! I'm very excited and have been feeling good so far. Only challenge is drinking my coffee black :P

I am 19 and this is my first while30. This one wi be done a week before my 20th birthday. I'm doing it because I always thought I'd be healthy once I was 20 and old enough to be responsible for my own health, so now that I'm moved out on my own I have no excuse to eat unhealthy. I'm ready for this!

I think a facebook group would be a great idea for the feb 25th whole30ers!

Hi everyone - I also began yesterday. I have been going back and forth considering trying Paleo for a while and although my husband is supportive he's not joining in. My family is of the type that thinks I'm crazy for trying something so radical but I'm hoping results will speak for themselves.

I'm a sugar addict - and boy have the last two days been hard since I would normally restrict myself to sugar-free junk but it still feeds the monster. I also enjoy carbs but since I am GF I find many of the breads and treats are laden with unpronounceable stuff and greater calories. I've read It starts with food and I've been checking out nom nom Paleo's app of yummy looking recipes but I live in a rural area and I'm hopeful I'll be able to find Whole30 approved condiments and oils to keep up.

Excited to begin this journey with you.

Hi everyone! Thursdays are the new Friday and February 25th is the new January 1st! Glad I'm not the only one to choose this day to start.

I'm 24, I like the early morning, I hate washing dishes without dishwashing gloves, and I generally run for the stairs when I think I might have to be with other people in an elevator. I feel like I'm just floating around life right now, and I think completing a Whole30 would be a great foundation for having more direction in life and to carpe some more of those diems. Also, I'm a bit of a binge eater (especially with the carby/sugary stuff. I've even been known to stress eat on beans. BEANS!) and I currently feel incredibly unhealthy and squishy and I'd like to think a Whole30 will help with this as well.

I've never participated in a forum before, but this seems like a good resource that I should totally take advantage of. I too have friends that I'm not confident will be on board with me doing this, so it'll be nice to have a supportive group to talk to.

Day 1 was solid. So far day 2 has been okay as well. I'll let you know once I feel like I'm dying and/or murderous. Good luck everyone! Let's crush this!

Hey all!

So glad to have lots of other 25thers to start this journey with! How did everyone's day 2 go? So far so good for me! Although, I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself. As a serious yo-yo dieter I'm great at doing short term diets / life style changes....and then crashing and burning. Heck, I can do anything for a week! It's next week that has me worried! Crossing my fingers that this is the first step towards a sustainable lifestyle change.

@Danielle - I don't do Crossfit, but I've considered it. Right now I'm spinning, running and working in some kickboxing and boxing classes. My boxing studiio has some Fighter Fit classes which are similar... I just need to work up the courage to try them out! They look insane!

@Becky - so far I've been relying on eggs. My first day I had an egg, spinach and turkey sausage scramble with homemade salsa. Today, It was a hard boiled egg and a bunch of veggie nibbles (raw tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, avocado, olives). I'm planning on having some leftover butternut squash and eggs tomorrow. I agree, as someone who never really loved eggs - I can feel it getting repetitous. I'll probably end up eating more leftovers for breakfast once I start preparing larger portions of food.

@ErynnNoelle, I also couldn't find the Facebook group. Could you post a link?

Good Luck All!

Becky, today for Day 2 dinner I made Chocolate Chili (sounds gross but is amazing flavor!) and the whole family loved it--4 non-Paleos and me! It was in the "Well Fed" cook book downloadable sample from the blog "Clothes That Make the Girl". Here's the link:

http://www.theclothe...rl.com/wellfed/

It was delicious. Anyway, all that to say I'll most likely have leftovers tomorrow morning. Trying to get used to the Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3 idea instead of breakfast, lunch & dinner. Eggs for 30+ days doesn't sound appetizing to me either...

I started on Feb 25th also. I am 42, married, with no children. My husband and I both have become very addicted to carbs and sugar and eating outside of the house. We both have seemed to forget to say how to say NO to foods that aren't good choices for us.

I think my husband actually really enjoyed Day 1. He dug on the breakfast and lunch that I made, so that was an added bonus. I am the only one doing the program, but I know it will benefit him also.

Day 1 was hard for me, but hard because I exercised outdoors on a really windy day and a lot of allergens were in the air. It was hard to feel ao awful and feel like it wasn't even related to the program. Day 2, I actually felt pretty good, which was a nice surprise - I was expecting another day of feeling lousy.

I am enjoying what I am eating, but I still feel like I am longing for carbs and sugar. I am also feeling a little panic on being able to come up with 3 approved meals a day. I did buy a lot of spices, but I am not well versed on what I can prepare to keep things interesting, but so far, so good. I know i have t take time to research some easy recipes. I think the no butter rule is tough - I wouldn't mind dining out, but fear foods will be prepared with butter or other non-approved ingredients (even if ordering chicken and veggies).

One breakfast item I had and like was scrambled eggs with flank steak and basil. I mixed in some fire roasted tomatoes (John Muir?) which added a lot of flavor.

I hope to get to know you all better over the coming month and wish you all great success!

Try this link- http://www.facebook.com/groups/343941529043198/?fref=ts. If there are still issues "Friend" me on Facebook and I can add you in. You can find me under "Erynn Noelle Lauzon".

How are everyone's symptoms so far? I haven't had the slightest craving but I wake up with a headache and feel extremely tired by the time 8:00 rolls around. I'm also a little shaky at times but I started having sweet potatoes and the shaking stopped (maybe I just needed more carbs). I also subscribed to the Whole30 Daily which provides a lot of good insight to how I'm feeling and how I will be feeling. It's also a good motivator to check the box at the end of the e-mail everyday I finish!

I'm a Feb 25 starter too - I have had no cravings as yet either, but feel tired easily, my legs are tired by the time I'm at the top of the stairs at work!! I am a bit hungry too - think I may not be eating enough protein with breakfast, as i am sticking with coconut milk and berry smoothies as eggs are time consuming to add at the moment.

I also like the emails - great info!

Hi everyone! It's going pretty well for me so far. I've felt super hungry all day long. I think it's probably just cravings that I'm misinterpreting for hunger. Going from a diet almost entirely filled with starchy carbs to none (and no sugar, which I LOVE) must have my body all kinds of confused. :) I think most people who know I am doing this are totally expecting me to fail (and quickly) so it adds a bit of motivation to keep going. The timing also works perfectly since I have a vacation planned for what falls on day 31! I hope to be feeling great and maybe even look much better in my bathing suit by that time. I'm thinking of this as Whole1, repeated 30 times since 30 days feels like a really long time to me.

@exfatgirl Day 2 went pretty well for me even with a potluck dinner. I had packed a great lunch and brought a roasted chicken to the potluck and then heaped my plate with salad. My greatest challenge was/is a crazy headache. I was going to try and power through but I couldn't sleep so I took an advil.

Day 3 has been similar except an unexpected delay at work meant I had to have a snack before dinner. I settled on oolong tea and walnuts and it helped. Hoping to go to bed early and dream away the headache which I assume is sugar withdrawal.

Anyone else feeling side effects? Excited that the group is growing and to have some support!!

Hello! I started my second Whole30 on Feb. 25 and am specifically focusing on improving my sleep habits this time. While I did improve my mental and physical health the first time around, I think my mental health results will be significantly better with a regular sleep routine.

Eggs: I rarely go a day without eating 2-3 eggs, but I don't always have them for breakfast/meal 1. Varying the vegetables I eat mixed in or alongside helps.

Fatigue: I found it helps to have a sweet potato, or something else starchy, every day. I am going to experiment with eating 1/2 a sweet potato at different meals versus all at once and see how that makes me feel.

I hope everyone's day 3 went well!

I started on the 25th as well. I'm 34 and single Mom, but I'm not forcing this on my daughter. She is a fairly good eater and incredibly active, so I've kept non-Whole30 food around for her. I've had a great 3 days now...getting creative in the kitchen and eating yummy foods! I've tried this one before and didn't make it the entire 30 days, but I'm hoping to finish up this time. I've gotten headaches the last two days and I know they'll continue the rest of this week at least while my body detoxes, especially from the Diet Coke! I live in a very rural area, so instead of Crossfit, I'm thinking of starting the Insanity program here at home. Has anyone tried that?

This group is a great idea! I'm also a February 25th starter (this is going to be my 2nd Whole 30) and could really use the support since I've had several failed attempts at a Whole 30 so far this year. Seems like 2013 started with a bang and is just settling down for me.

At the end of day 3, I'm feeling pretty good. I definitely had the mid-afternoon dip in energy today and craved a snack, but I was able to resist the urge to eat since I wasn't actually hungry. I also made it all the way through my CrossFit WOD, although I was feeling a little sluggish.

Hello Feb 25th Newbies!

I started on Monday too and could not for the life of me find this page. Now that I've found you, I'll be checking in. All is well with the program so far. Find myself cooking new things I've never tried. The 100% grass fed beef taste strange to me -- probably because I'm so used to cheaper quality foods. Had a shocker on the cost of eating well but since I've eliminated all of my other goodies (including alcohol) I guess I can splurge on healthier foods.

This is Day 3 and I'm feeling good. Haven't had to snack and trying to steer clear of even big bowls of fruit (gotta slay that sugar dragon).

Anyway have experience with this coconut milk thing? I can not figure out what everyone's saying about refrigerate the can and it "creams" on top. Mine still seems pretty milky.

Hi everyone, checking in for day 4. Yesterday evening I had the WORST headache and didn't feel like doing much but am feeling pretty good today. I was reading the info about trying to see if you are really hungry or just craving... checking in on the forum is a good distraction from those cravings.

My 17 y.o. daughter who loves to cook has been a great help with cooking, she loves trying new things and cooks up after school so it's ready when I get home from work. She made us the chocolate chili (YUM), a roast beef yesterday and also made some absolutely delicious egg muffins that were egg, cinnamon, cocoa powder, apples and a little bit of coconut sprinked on top. I swear they tasted like french toast but there was no flour or sugar of any kind in them, amazing. I love that we are finding new delicious things to cook that I would never have tried before.

Thyonne - I have been using coconut milk in my coffee - i got the kind that comes in a can, transferred it to a container in the fridge. I shake it up before I put it in my coffee and haven't had any problems. It is not the Almond Joy coffee creamer I used to love, but it is not bad!

This afternoon ( day 4 ) before lunch, I seemed to be very hungry and lethargic - not sleepy but a little zombie like.

I wanted to get out for lunch and decided earlier I would go to Chipotle where on the forum I had seen the carnitas there are allowed (other meats are cooked in soy, so not permitted). Before leaving, because I felt worn down, I thought I might go off-plan and get a Coke or some other off-plan goodies. The "old" me that wanted to get a qucik fix from some sugar/carbs wanted to take back over. I started thinking, I really can't to this for 30 days, so maybe just making some of the changes will be good enough, it's a big improvement already. Then I started thinking about what would I choose to eat/drink and then reminded myself it really wouldn't make me feel any better and surely I can do this more than 4 days.

At Chipotle I had the salad with only carnitas, lettuce and guacamole. I felt such a sense of accomplishment after making the right choice and I really enjoyed my lunch!

I knew I had a new paleo cookbook, "well fed" coming today, so I figured once I made it past lunch, I would be fine. So far, the cookbook looks right up my alley. Most recipes aren't too complicated and there are some shopping and prep strategies too.

I am usually a night owl, so I have been appreciating feeling tired and ready for bed between 9-10 pm this week. I also have been waking earlier and feeling less groggy when I do.

Archived