Hard to follow template with soups/stews

abur0418

Anyone have any tips for this? It's easy to follow the plan when I have my palm sized protein, veggies and fat but when I'm eating a soup or stew its harder. I had chili today for lunch with a salad and avocado and already feel it won't last me until dinner. I had about a cup of chili with ground beef peppers onions celery and squash mixed in.

My advice would be to do the best you can and eat just until you are full. I'm not sure if the bowl is misleading and looks fuller than it is or something about whatever I put it a bowl is so tasty that it takes more to satiate me, but if you're following the guidelines in general, your occasional misjudged bowl of chili will have no adverse effects on you, as long as it's all compliant real food. Eat up!

• Moderators

I've found that enough food to fill my plate very full will fill my bowl too, so I add enough stew or chili to my bowl to fill it.

The way I make chili, one cup might be about one palm-size portion and I often eat two palm-size portions of protein at meals.

I don't find soups very filling even if I eat two bowls full. I can get to a feeling of fullness, but it does not last like other meals do. I can only stand to eat soup as a meal if it is breakfast or lunch and I eat more substantial food at at least two other meals.

I love soup but I have a couple of tricks to make it compliant. I always double or triple the amount of veggies a recipe calls for. Most of my basic soups start with a pound of carrots, two pounds of onions, a full head of cabbage, etc. My most recent recipe, made mostly of turnips, carrots and onions, I add the meat in when I reheat - in this case, shredded pot roast. That way I know how much protein I am getting. My soups are not very fatty because I skim off the congealed fat - I do not like fatty broth. So I take my fish oil or add a spoonful of coconut butter at those meals.

I try to make the proportion of ingredients compliant. After a while you have an idea, using the template, of how much meat and veggie you need to stay full between meals. I try to duplicate those ratios in stews. I don't count the liquid as anything, just the actual pieces. But I like lulu's idea of adding meat as you go, too.

I know a palm size portion of protein is about 100g, so if I know how much I've used in the recipe I know to eat about 1/4 or a 1/5 or whatever of the entire batch. Fat's the same, if I've used a couple of tablespoons in the whole recipe then I know I probably need to add a bit more in some form or another. The veggies - I don't worry about that side of things, I just fill up the rest of my plate with them!

You need to get this bowl!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WnCJlq_kUA8/SYJ7v9L5ATI/AAAAAAAASxw/CLux4kAxnX0/s1600-

h/super-big-bowl.jpg

That's exactly the same model of bowl I am using, but I swear my brain just can't wrap around the concept of "we've eaten" unless the food is on a plate. Or the floor- but only if I've traced an outline of my plate first.

Archived