Why no potatoes?

MamaD

Sweet potatoes are great, but white potatoes are out because they are not nutrient dense. There are so many better choices out there for starchy carbs-a big variety of squashes, pumpkin, etc. that have more to offer than white potatoes.

Not that they aren't delicious mind you.

White potatoes AND sweet potatoes both offer very little nutritionally. Melissa corrected me recently that sweet potatoes aren't really healthier or more nutrient dense (at least in a substantial impactful way) than a white potato. The problem with white potatoes (aside from toxins in the skin) is that they are waaaaaay over consumed. They push other better choices off our plate and we'd rather you focus on nutrient dense veggies than these convenient, nutrient poor starch bombs. Sweet potatoes are allowed while white potatoes aren't because we don't quite suffer the same over consumption of them as we do white ones and while they're not always the best option, they're relatively harmless as something you eat occasionally. Hope that helps!

Wondering if any moderators have info on this: Which is a better 'starchy vegie' option? Pumpkin or sweet potato?

I always thought pumpkin was preferred because it was less starchy but I recently heard that sweet potato has a much lower GI which makes it a better option....???

Anyone to shed some light on this? Thanks!

White potatoes AND sweet potatoes both offer very little nutritionally.

Woah, woah woah there Johnny! I thought sweet potatoes were a good thing (and white potatoes too, if people were able to keep them in moderation)? I'm comfortable with the idea that I need loads of different veggies in my diet, but...in that case, what SHOULD I be having to fill that "starchy carb" requirement?

I have been wondering that, missmary. I thought we would all become sweet potato fiends, during my first few days, but that has subsided and we are eating them a little less around here.

I seem to remember reading that we may not need the starchy carbs, but that we get along a little more easily with them. Am I wrong?

And. what about the lovely purple potato? That guys is bound to be worth something on the other side of the Whole30. ;)

Woah, woah woah there Johnny! I thought sweet potatoes were a good thing (and white potatoes too, if people were able to keep them in moderation)? I'm comfortable with the idea that I need loads of different veggies in my diet, but...in that case, what SHOULD I be having to fill that "starchy carb" requirement?

Sorry! I didn't mean to say that they were not a good thing. They are a great thing for when you need something starchy! They're just not a great replacement for veggies.

Archived