Butter substitute...Did I get it right?

kt1988

Spread_Organic.jpg

I have been searching all over the supermarkets to an acceptable alternative to traditional butter. I think I've found it. Here's a run down of the ingredients. Its said to be certified organic, 100% Vegan and so on.

Natural Oil Blend (palm fruit,soybean,canola,and olive oils)

Filtered water

Pure Salt

Natural Flavor

Crushed Soy Beans

Soy Lecithin

Lactic Acid (Non dairy)

and naturally extracted annatto-For Color

ACK! I'm sorry, but no!

Whole30 rules very clearly say "no soy." This has soy lecithin, crushed soy beans and soybean oil. This is NOT a good replacement for butter! I'm not sure why you even WANT to replace butter. It's amazing. You can't have regular butter during your whole 30, but clarified butter's 100% Aokay!

ACK! I'm sorry, but no!

Whole30 rules very clearly say "no soy." This has soy lecithin, crushed soy beans and soybean oil. This is NOT a good replacement for butter! I'm not sure why you even WANT to replace butter. It's amazing. You can't have regular butter during your whole 30, but clarified butter's 100% Aokay!

OMG! You cant have anything at all. LOL. Exactly what is clarified Butter ? I couldnt find anything by that exact name and then I saw this so i thought it was okay. Luckily I didnt use it yet. But I guess I need to reread the rules. This is week 1 for me.

You can use lots of different kinds of fats, both for eating and for cooking. The question here might be, what do you usually use butter for, that has you looking for a substitute?

If cooking: coconut oil (either refined or unrefined); olive oil; macadamia oil; pastured animal fats (beef, chicken, duck, pork); ghee; clarified butter (for these last two you can purchase ghee in health food or Asian food markets; and you can google clarified butter to find out how to make it - it's not an item you purchase)

If adding at the end of cooking time: extra virgin olive oil, yum!

If mixing in to a dish (like, say, veggies?) to add flavor: any of the above oils, or homemade mayonnaise (do a search here on the forums for about seventeen thousand recipes, I'm only exaggerating slightly, hehe).

You have many options, and I hope that short list helps you get started!

• Moderators

You can find ghee at Whole Foods and similar stores. Ghee is basically butter that has been cooked and strained to remove the milk solids, leaving only the butter fat. It tastes very similar to regular butter and is okay during a Whole30. I cook with it all the time.

And yes, rereading the guidelines is a good idea. Most of us need to read them through at least 3 times until most of the details sink in... http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5-the-official-whole30%C2%AE-program/

Archived