I had a cup full of dried dates today. Did I fail?

toronto416

I'm not trying to lose weight, nor do I have any medical conditions. I'm 5'4", 115 lb.

How bad is it that I ate a cup full of dried dates? And that I often snack on almonds or coconut butter?

I keep telling myself, "well at least I didn't binge on cheetos!"At least I am reaping nutritional benefits from these dried dates, right?

Is it thaaat bad to have too many dried fruit? If I keep my sugar dragon happy with healthy sugar, then why does it matter if I have a sugar dragon or not?

Because it can lead to binging on unhealthy treats to feed the demon! I use dates as an ingredient and not a snack, they are total sugar bombs.

This isn't about losing weight, its about changing your relationship with food and making yourself healthier. Old eating habits are hard to break and even more so if you feed the habit with technically compliant foods.

I'll give you an example. I LOVE dates but if I eat them alone like a snack/treat then I start spiraling into the depths of sweet hell. I only use them in other dishes, like when I make homemade ketchup or finely chopped in a salad.

I'll give you an example. I LOVE dates but if I eat them alone like a snack/treat then I start spiraling into the depths of sweet hell. I only use them in other dishes, like when I make homemade ketchup or finely chopped in a salad.

Sharon, I mentioned this on another thread. I made paleo ketchup for the first time and it is missing something. It still tastes too much like the tomato paste base. I was wondering if pureeing a date or two would give it the dimension it's missing. I'm assuming t works, yes?

• Moderators

Eating a cup of dates is unhealthy physically and emotionally. A single medjool date is 16 grams of sugar and 66 calories, so a cup of them would mean you ate around 1000 calories of sugar, maybe more. By eating so much sugar, you either overeat that day or you fail to eat as much as you need of the foods that actually nourish your body. Almonds and coconut butter are not as extreme as dates, but eating them regularly means you are probably not eating what your body actually needs. We can live like this for decades, but the consequences of failing to nourish our bodies properly eventually develop.

Bottom line: A happy sugar dragon is a murderous sugar dragon.

To add to what Tom said: weight, even body fat, is not the only measure of health we're concerned with. By consuming that much sugar, you are putting a very unhealthy load on your hormonal system and your organs, you're feeding the intestinal bacteria that grow wildly on sugar, and setting yourself up for unhealthy blood sugar related problems.

Also, in my perspective, a sugar dragon is a habit that controls our eating behavior and drives it to unhealthy extremes. I don't want ANYTHING but a conscious choice to drive my eating habits.

Thanks guys. That's what I needed to get me back on track!! :)

I'm always hungry though and I eat a lot of nutrient-dense foods. Here's what a typical day looks like for me:

3 eggs in coconut oil, sprinkled with nutritional yeast

1 handful of almonds

1 carrot

1/2 a cucumber

Kale

Portobello mushrooms

Beef Liver or Beef Short Ribs or Chicken Liver or Salmon

Sweet Potato

Apple

(Maybe a berry smoothie or some dates)

I've recently added Kombucha!

I vary my veggies every day, but make sure to get 4-5 different veggies in one day. Why am I still so hungry all the time?

Sharon, I mentioned this on another thread. I made paleo ketchup for the first time and it is missing something. It still tastes too much like the tomato paste base. I was wondering if pureeing a date or two would give it the dimension it's missing. I'm assuming t works, yes?

It helps, but not perfect. I use the dates when doing Whole30 but off, I add a tsp of honey or maple syrup. I am still experimenting with ketchup. I don't use a lot of ketchup but I want to be able to whip up a batch for when we have guests. I refuse to buy bottled stuff.

@Toronoto416.. I eat a lot of canned tuna for lunches and sometimes even breakfast because some days the thought of cooking eggs makes me nauseous. You are probably eating less meat that you think.

I have had tuna, turkey, cod, beef, chicken, pork, salmon, and shrimp in the last week. I find the variety is keeping me going and I usually have leftovers the next morning.

There are great recipes here. I used one of Tom's a couple of days ago and I felt as though it was a lot more like my natural eating and cooking style and less like a compartmentalized plate.

I also have two veggies at meals or one cooked veggie and a fresh salad.

And, you can always try different seasoning styles on your meats.

I definitely didn't eat enough in the first few days and I increased in all areas and things improved. Also, you gave one big list. Are you eating those things together in a protein + veggie + fat combo or are you having things like the apple all alone?

Archived