Whole30, here I come!

Laura Osborne Bozeman

I couldn't sleep last night. So, I surfed the whole9 site. I'm starting the whole30 today. I can't get to the grocery store until Friday, but I think I have the right stuff on hand to get through the week. So, here goes!

I'm going to write a little stuff here and think about it, come back later and answer.

Why am I doing this? I want to feel good. I want clear skin, no aches and pains, I want to lose weight and have more energy. I want to healthy - I want my blood sugars under control, my blood pressure down, etc. AND, allergy season is coming up. It would be great if I didn't suffer through that anymore. :)

What do I feel like right now?

Tired, achey. My face and back are breaking out like they haven't in years. Very irritable a good bit of the time (probably mostly due to lack of sleep)

What is my current weight? 279

Day 1:

Breakfast: 3 eggs in coconut oil, 1-2 tbsp wholly guacamole, 3 grape tomatoes

I didn't sleep much (woke up at 2:30am and couldn't get back to sleep), so I am making sure to have a good breakfast. I've pulled some grass fed ground beef out to thaw for dinner. For lunch, I'm planning on browning some onions and ground turkey, maybe make a lettuce wrap with tomatoes and red peppers.

Lunch: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, celery, green onion, red pepper, roasted chicken, guacamole salad. With olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Dinner: ground turkey, onions, spinach, and red pepper in coconut oil (I'm feeling REALLY hungry)

Bowl of frozen blueberries and blackberries

Thanks, KelBelle! I just noticed you live in Baton Rouge. I used to live there - still visit 2-3 times a year to see my husband's family. :) Small world!

Day 2: Feb. 27

Sleep: approx. 8 hours (not enough since I only got 3-4 the night before)

Breakfast: 3 hardboiled eggs, wholly guacamole (approx. 2 tbsp.), 6 grape tomatoes

Lunch: Taco Salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, black olives, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, grassfed beef with onions mixed with taco seasoning (homemade and compliant), and wholly guacamole

unsweetened iced tea from taco market

Dinner: Leftover turkey/spinach from last night, a little leftover roast chicken, and a little ground beef from this afternoon. Roasted brussell sprouts in coconut oil.

Had a serious sugar craving a little while after dinner. But it went away pretty quickly. Feel VERY full.

Day 4: March 1

B: leftover frittatta

going to the grocery store today. On a mission to find some pork belly!

L: ground beef with onions, taco seasonings (homemade) and guacamole. Handful of grape tomatoes.

Alas, no pork belly to be found. No ghee either. I bought grass fed butter to make my own ghee, via nomnompaleo's instructions.

D: leftover frittatta and leftover roasted brussel sprouts

I ate dinner before we went out. I drank club soda with lemon the entire night. When we got home, I was a little hungry, so I had a handful or so of black olives.

Aunt Flo visited today.

Day 5: March 2 (Saturday)

This morning, I made ghee (which I think I overcooked - it's nutty brown, but still tasty), chopped up some onions and bell peppers and cooked those with some grass fed ground beef (lots, to eat over the next few days), and made some more compliant taco seasoning.

B: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, ground meat mixture, taco seasoning, and guacamole. Balsamic vinegar and a little bit of olive oil.

Wow, weekends are hard! I think I usually equate weekends with treating myself. It is a hard mindset to combat.

L: lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, pepper salad with catfish in homemade cajun spice mix. Olive oil and red wine vinegar.

D: ground meat with taco seasoning, guacamole (more like a snack. We ate lunch around 4-5 pm)

Day 6: March 3 (Sunday)

Felt and looked REALLY BLOATED today. I'm still retaining water - my rings don't come off very easily. Aunt Flo? Too much salt? Both?

B: salad (lettuce, tomato, carrots, peppers) with ground beef, 1 egg in ghee, and balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Went to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese today. Had NO desire for the pizza or the cake! Hooray! Didn't get a chance to eat lunch before I went, but was still okay. I was EXHAUSTED when I got home.

L: handful of black olives, ground meat with taco seasoning, guacamole

D: Sweet Potato, Butternut squash, ground beef soup with homemade chicken stock (all compliant)

Had some sugar cravings after dinner. Wonder if it's the sweet potato or Auntie Flo visiting. Or just habit? I haven't felt well since getting home. I'm really tired, too. Going to bed in just a minute. It's about 9:07 or so. Night night.

Day 7! I'm retaining water like a MoFo! I'm very uncomfortable. Hoping it's just my visiting Aunt. Grrr.

B: 3 eggs in ghee, 1 cup chopped peppers, guacamole

L: Sweet potato, butternut squash soup with ground meat

D: Spaghetti squash, sauce (classico sauce (compliant), onions, grass fed ground beef, peppers)

bowl of frozen blueberries

Day 8: March 5

B: ground meat with guacamole

L: leftover spaghetti squash with tomato meat sauce, 1 clementine

D: leftover sweet potato, butternut squash soup with ground beef

Nearing the end of Aunt Flo's visit. I'm very achey, but yesterday was worse. I'm still super cranky. Retaining a little less water. Got about 8 hours of sleep.

Day 9: March 7

Didn't do a good job logging my day yesterday. I've tried on some shirts that were getting too tight and they are fitting better!! My face is still broken out, but it might be starting to clear up. I'm less achey. Aunt Flo has left, so hopefully, will start to see some more and better results. I still need to sleep more.

B: 3 eggs in ghee with guacamole, grape tomatoes

L: Leftover sweet potato/butternut squash/ground beef soup. Black olives. Small handful of macadamia nuts.

D: salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers, carrots) with grass fed hamburger and one egg in ghee on top. Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Day 10: March 8

I am retaining water again this morning, but not anywhere near as bad as a few days ago. I did have a lot of salt yesterday, though. My face seems to be clearing up a bit, and my back. I'm sleeping pretty well. I'm still a tiny bit cranky, but not too bad. My lower back hurts a lot. I am hoping that the lower back aches go away by the end of my 30 days. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to go longer than 30 days to get the benefits. I know, I know, it's only day 10. I put on my jeans yesterday and they are not tight anymore!

I'm finding this process interesting. I thought I was a huge sugar junkie, but have only had a few sugar cravings, easily fought off, so far. What I do miss and want is dairy. And I thought I didn't eat a lot of dairy! I don't necessarily miss cheese, but I want cream and whole milk. Maybe it's the mouth-feel? That's what I want - fatty and creamy. Guess I should fit some coconut milk into my plan today. :)

B: leftover hamburger with carrots and peppers, little bit of ghee and balsamic vinegar

L: Experiment: pumpkin with coconut milk, cinnamon, and a few crunched up walnuts. Had a few bites, but didn't really like it. Nate is dipping his banana in the leftovers right now. Could it be my child actually LIKES something healthy? So, I had a can of salmon with some black olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

D: Lemon chicken with olive oil, carrots and green beans with ghee

frozen blueberries with a little coconut milk drizzled on them

Day 11: March 9

Slept pretty well last night. I'm feeling less sluggish. Not a lot of energy, just not so dead tired all the time. Hooray! Today is my daughter's third birthday. I'm buying 2 cupcakes, one for my son and one for my daughter. None leftover for me to want. My dh doesn't want any either. :)

B: sweet potato with eggs and ghee

L: handful of raw almonds, a few black olives. I'll eat some chicken in a little while.

Michael made ghee today. He did it in the microwave. He did a better job than I did!

D: steak in ghee, carrots and green beans

Why are weekends so hard??!!! I want to eat just because. I want some wine. Or is that whine? :)

Day 13: March 11

B: 3 eggs in ghee, guacamole

Have to do the shopping today. This week is spring break for the kiddos, so I need to plan their breakfasts and lunches, too. I want Nate to have similar food to what I'm having, not what he has usually for school lunches. Claire, too. :)

L: lettuce with canned salmon, some black olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

D: Salmon salad (carrots, celery, cucumber, red pepper, green olives, hard boiled eggs, homemade mayo, canned salmon) over lettuce

raw macadamia nuts with ghee and salt

bowl of black and blueberries

Keep it up, Laura! I'll be starting my Whole30 in two weeks (just doing paleo for now, gathering recipes, and doing some prep). By then, you'll be almost done, and I was hoping to use your posts as inspiration.

All the best - you can do it!

Day 14: March 12

B: sauteed mushrooms and onions in ghee, 3 eggs. bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, black olives. Yum!

L: leftover salmon salad, black olives, 5-6 macadamia nuts

D: Meatballs, sauce and green beans via Paleo on a Budget: http://paleoonabudget.com/2012/01/05/meatballs-sauce-green-beans-oh-my/

This was SO good!

Day 16: March 14 (all compliant) but too many macadamia nuts. I won't be buying any more of those, that's for sure.

Day 17: March 15

B: ground meat with mushrooms and onions, tomatoes, bell pepper, olives, and guacamole

L: ground meat with mushrooms and onions, tomatoes, bell pepper, olives, and guacamole

D: shrimp and broccoli leftovers

Day 18: March 16

Went to a Renaissance Festival today. That was difficult. Everyone else was eating stuff and drinking beer. Me? Water and snacks I brought from home. But totally worth it!

B: Ground beef with mushrooms and onions, eggs, tomatoes, bell pepper, olives, guacamole

L: Chocolate Coconut Lara Bar, tomatoes, carrots, and a mini cucumber

D: Ground beef with mushrooms and onions, eggs, tomatoes, bell pepper, olives, guacamole when we got home, bowl of berries, 5-6 macadamia nuts

I'm pretty proud of myself that I didn't go off program! Woot! 12 days to go!

Archived