Whole30 with baby

Drbc

I have just started and I know how common it is to feel miserable, and I have read how important it is to get good sleep. But I have a 1 year old who doesn't sleep through the night so I never get 8 straight hours of sleep. Probably more like 5 at a time. I get to go back to sleep after he wakes up but I don't even feel like I can be a good mommy during the day because I feel so crappy/exhausted.

Any thoughts? Advice? Don't think I can keep it up for 30 days especially with the lack of sleep.

A one year old can sleep through the night, so maybe that's something in itself that needs to be addressed. My daughter is almost 2, and we seriously prolonged a bottle in the night only to realize that WE were the ones keeping her on this habit - she didn't need it at all. It only took a couple rough nights for this habit to be broken.

Just something to think about. I completely understand how bitterly awful exhaustion can be. But, I agree with Tom, try to stay the course because eating this way will only help the quality of the sleep you do get, and give you much more energy during the day.

I can totally relate to this post. I have a 7 1/2 month old who is an inconsistently good sleeper (some nights she'll sleep 10-11 hours, nurse and then go back to sleep for another 1 1/2-2 hours and then, some weeks she'll be up for an hour to an hour and a half every night just 'cause). I agree with Casey D--at a year babies do not need to get up in the middle of the night to eat. I also agree that it usually only takes a couple of nights to break them of the must-get-up-and-eat habit. Our pediatrician actually recommended we do that.

I know it's hard to stay healthy when you don't have the energy to do anything. I, too, am trying to clean up my diet, CrossFit, work, as well as be a good wife and mother; it's hard, but just do the best job you can. When I did my Whole30 I used to take Sunday afternoons and try and cook as much food as I could; if/when I do another Whole30 now that Baby V is in the picture I will surely do this again.

Also, give yourself a break. Being a mom to a small child/baby is difficult and it's admirable that you're doing something for yourself. Keep up the good work!

Archived