Whole 30 #2...attempt number 4

orca_chick

Yes...attempt number 4 at another Whole 30. It's taken me 3.5 months to get my act together and realize how important my health is to me. After completing my first Whole 30 in September of last year, I felt amazing and looked the healthiest/toned I've ever looked in my life. But then came my marathon and visit home in October...and a giant food binge that followed both of those events. I was able to get myself somewhat back on track within a couple of weeks and did really well all the way through Thanksgiving (I cooked an entirely paleo meal for 16 people and it was amazing!)....and then came Christmas. I definitely over-indulged in paleo treats over the holidays and just haven't been able to get back onto the Whole 30 wagon and stay on it.

But there's no better time than the present! I'm done beating myself up for what I perceive as failures and I'm ready to take control of my life and health again. I might need a little tough love every once in a while and I'm definitely going to need a lot of support, but I will make it through the next 30 days because I'm ready to stop making excuses and take responsibility for what I put into my body.

Yesterday was day 1 and it's the first day in ages that I haven't gone to bed with a stomach ache. Hmmm...imagine that. :)

Breakfast:

4 eggs scrambled with NSA chicken apple sausage, sweet potato, bell pepper, and broccoli.

Lunch:

1/2 can of tuna mixed with guacamole, salsa, and lime juice over a bed of baby romaine and cucumbers followed by two cuties (clementines)

Dinner:

1/2 organic chicken breast stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and a little tahini, then wrapped in prosciutto. Served with roasted broccoli tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Day 2...thus far

Breakfast:

4 eggs over easy cooked inside bell pepper rings served with 3/4 cup berries.

Tom,

I think I tend to eat a larger breakfast because I usually have at least 6 hours in between breakfast and lunch (typically I eat around 5:30am and then again sometime between 12 and 1). I've noticed a larger breakfast helps keep me from snacking. Do you think it's more beneficial to balance out my meals more and potentially add a mid-morning snack?

To finish Day 2...

Lunch:

Leftover 1/2 of the stuffed chicken breast and a large serving of cauliflower mexican "rice" (gotta love random leftovers)

Dinner:

1/4 of a roasted chicken served with sautéed spaghetti squash and spinach with artichoke lemon pesto.

Your meals look delicious! I would like to be this inspired in my kitchen :-). All the best to you on your Whole 30! :-)

Thanks Emily!

I use a lot of blogs for inspiration including PaleOMG, Nom Nom Paleo, Civilized Caveman, and The Clothes Make the Girl. Definitely check them out! :)

I will definitely take a look at those blogs. I have the Non Nom Paleo ap which is beautiful and inspiring and look forward to seeing recipes from the other blogs you mentioned. I imagine it will definitely help to keep food interesting on my Whole30. :-)

Day 3

Breakfast:

2 hard boiled eggs, 1 NSA chicken apple sausage, and 1/2 cup pumpkin "porridge" with a small handful blueberries (for lack of a better term...it contains pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, almond butter, shredded coconut, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and water. It's my adaptation of a recipe from Practical Paleo).

Lunch:

Leftover chicken and spaghetti squash/spinach with lemon artichoke pesto and 3/4 cup strawberries/blueberries

Post WOD (since I actually remembered a snack today...I need to be better about that):

Baby carrots with 2tbsp of LA pesto and small handful of blueberries

Dinner:

Large romaine salad with grass-fed beef patty, cucumbers, salsa, avocado, and an egg over easy (not too shabby for being uninspired tonight)

Day 4

Breakfast:

1.5 NSA chicken apple sausages, 2 hard boiled eggs, and 1/2 cup pumpkin porridge with a small handful of blueberries and a drizzle of coconut milk

Lunch:

Leftover spaghetti squash with lemon artichoke pesto and roasted chicken and 2 clementines

Snack (I underestimated my lunch today):

Small handful of cashews, 3 pieces of proscuitto, 3/4 cup snap peas

Dinner:

Braised pork butt with mexican style spaghetti squash and avocado salsa with a side of roasted broccoli.

Day 5

Breakfast:

1 NSA chicken apple sausage with the rest of the the leftover spaghetti squash and lemon artichoke pesto

Lunch:

Curried turkey breast with artichokes, mushrooms, and carrots and 2 pieces of watermelon

Pre WOD snack:

Handful of nuts, 2 slices roast beef, and kale chips (homemade)

Post WOD snack:

Grass-fed jerky

Dinner:

Pulled beef wrapped in lettuce with avocado

Day 6

Breakfast:

Cauliflower mash with 1.5 chicken apple sausages, 1 cup spinach with italian dressing

Lunch:

Romain salad with snap peas, carrots, and cucumbers with Tessemae's Zesty Ranch and pork with kale and yams

Snack:

Second half of the pork, yams, and kale that I didn't consume at lunch and a small handful cashews

Dinner:

Large mixed green salad with grilled chicken breast and more zesty ranch

Day 7

Breakfast:

Cauliflower mash with 1.5 chicken apple sausage

Lunch:

Chicken with sauteed greens, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, and 2 clementines

Snack:

4 slices roast beef, small handful of cashews, 1/2 cup snap peas/carrots with sunshine sauce

Dinner:

Well Fed's Pad Thai (one of my favorite recipes ever!)

Day 8

Breakfast:

Leftover Pad Thai

Lunch:

Coconut curry soup, albacore "sliders" with avocado and cucumbers, sweet potato hash, and kale salad and 2 clementines

Post WOD Snack:

Sliced roast beef and a handful of mixed nuts

Dinner:

Romaine salad with cucumber, snap peas, cucumbers, carrots, and avocado and Tessemae's zesty ranch and meatza with assorted veggies

Day 9

Breakfast:

3 eggs over easy with 3 slices of bacon and rutabaga "hash browns" cooked in ghee

Lunch:

Grass fed brisket with kim chi rutabaga and bok choy

Dinner:

Coconut curry soup, sea bass with brussel sprouts and mushrooms followed by 3 strawberries and small handful of cashews

Day 10

Breakfast:

Roasted chicken soup with veggies and 1 chicken apple sausage

Lunch:

Braised pork with spaghetti squash and cabbage/carrot slaw, 1 hard boiled egg, and 1 clementine

Pre-WOD snack:

1 banana with almond butter

Dinner:

Romaine salad with cucumber, bell pepper, carrots, and 1/2 avocado with Tessemae's Lemon Garlic dressing and roasted duck breast.

Day 11

Breakfast:

Crockpot eggs with sweet potatoes, onions, kale, mushrooms, peppers, and chicken apple sausage

Lunch:

Grass-fedf flat iron steak with turnip greens and rutabaga mash with strawberries/blueberries

Dinner:

Large butter lettuce salad with artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, cucumbers, carrots, jicima, sun dried tomatoes, avocado, a hard boiled egg, and steak topped with olive oil and red wine vinegar

Day 12

Breakfast:

Crockpot eggs (see yesterday)

Lunch:

Sauteed Elk, kale, and broccoli and sugar snap peas followed by 2 clementines

Post-WOD snack

1/2 banana and beef jerky

Dinner:

Indian spiced chicken, braised celery, and butternut squash and baby carrots with almond butter

Archived