Portions for Stewing Meat + ? Re: Meat Consumption

Kaleena

Hi All,

I'm new to eating meat and I'm making this recipe:

http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/11/16/simple-supper-friday-butter-beef-stew/

I'm using 1lb of stewing beef from the local farm-raised , hormone free butcher shop so I don't know if it's lean, how many calories, fat etc. Between two people, how much of this would you eat? We're an active, hungry couple. Any help would be appreciated.

On a bit of a side note I'll just add my other question to this post. Is it really okay to eat meat so often? How many times a week do you eat beef, for example?

Lately I've been eating it 2-3 times because I haven't eaten meat in 12 or 13 years and I actually like it. I've also taken a pretty strong liking for wild boar but that's pretty expensive! I'm worried about health but also, let's be honest here, I don't want to gain weight.

Thoughts, reassurances?

It's been a long time since I was a vegan, but some days I can easily eat a half a pound of meat at a meal or two. I don't try to do the math on this though over the whole day, I just notice if I cook a pound of something and ate half. My body loves meat and I still have not been able to overeat on it even though it seems like a lot sometimes- what is "a lot"? So much unlearning of propaganda to do...

For my hubby, me and my 2 year old son, that would be a meal. If I was feeding my 18 year old step son, that would be his portion! Course he is still growing and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and he has class 5 times a week. I roasted 2 chickens Sunday and he joined us for dinner and he clearly ate HALF of a 5 pound bird and a massive portion of roasted veg. He is about 5'10 and 160.

As for eating beef, we eat beef 4-5 times a week, rounding it out with chicken and pork. My son and I eat fish, but my husband does not, so that is usually lunch.

• Moderators

I usually plan to eat 1/2 pound of meat per meal, three meals per day. Some days I eat a little more. Some days I eat a little less. Now I am 6'2" and used to eating a lot (fast metabolism, etc), but that is what works for me.

In the hierarchy of protein quality, the top things to eat are fish, beef, and lamb. Pork and chicken offer less nutrition. I try to eat fish every other day at at least one meal and I eat lots to beef. I keep trying to get my farmer to save me a lamb, but he eats most of what he raises and I haven't gotten one from him yet. I try to cook chicken or pork a little less than once per week. I eat 4 eggs most days, but occasionally I don't get to them.

I've never been a vegetarian, but I probably eat more meat now than I did in the old days before I found the Whole30. My health is the best it has ever been.

I do eat lots of veggies too. My farmer introduces me as Mr. Kale because I eat more greens from his farm than he does. He likes his kale raw, but I wilt it down with onions, etc. Wilted greens take up less space, so I eat a lot of it.

In the hierarchy of protein quality, the top things to eat are fish, beef, and lamb. Pork and chicken offer less nutrition.

I've seen you mention this a couple of times- and I'm glad to know this- I love grassfed beef the most, and wild salmon, but keep buying chicken and pork too because of some notion of needing "variety". But that's just my conditioning and I think I will focus more on beef. I prefer ground beef meatballs and I'm going to start adding liver to the mix so I'm getting that more regularly too.

Hi, Kaleena, I agree with all of the above. I used to be a raw food vegan and avoided red meat for health reasons (I had cancer) Ha! I have done so much better on W30. At first it seemed like ginormous amounts of meat, now I don't stop to think about it but, reading your post, I realised that beef is my favourite meat and I probably average about once a day between ground beef, chillis, currys, brisket, home made burgers etc. BTW that recipe looks delicious.

Hi, Kaleena, I agree with all of the above. I used to be a raw food vegan and avoided red meat for health reasons (I had cancer) Ha! I have done so much better on W30. At first it seemed like ginormous amounts of meat, now I don't stop to think about it but, reading your post, I realised that beef is my favourite meat and I probably average about once a day between ground beef, chillis, currys, brisket, home made burgers etc. BTW that recipe looks delicious.

Thanks, Kirsteen. It turned out okay. I need more experience cooking meat though. It was kind of chewy. Lol

No one spoke to your comment about fat/calories... BEST part of adapting to a paleo style of diet is no more counting!!! Portion sizes as per protocol, adding more or less as needed of course. Stop eating when you are full. Some days will have bigger meals compared to others (Tom did say that). Go with tt. ENJOY it :)

Archived