AIP - when to reintroduce foods?

Today is day 30 of my first Whole30. I had an extremely poor diet before. I have Hashimotos so decided to just go for it and also eliminated foods using it Auto-Immune Protocol. I'm still not feeling all the success that some do so I will be continuing, but I'm wondering...

I've heard you should try the AIP for at least 90 days for it to really be effective but does that mean you don't reintroduce any thing so you're really doing a Whole90? Or am I able to reintroduce other things?

This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be but honestly, it's getting tough not having nuts as a source of fat. I do not like coconut. Avocados are OK but in moderation. I don't like olives AT ALL! I did find that I can handle eating shredded coconut as is. I haven't missed tomatoes as much as I thought and since I'm not snacking I'm not missing peppers either. I know I've not been 100% compliant with the AIP and have eaten foods seasoned with paprika once or twice.

Around my 2nd week I stopped taking my thyroid meds cold turkey since I was feeling hyperthryroid symptoms. Not the best choice, I know. My dr will retest me after I've been off my meds a total of 4 weeks so for that reason I plan on going until my Whole30 is a Whole45. But then what? Reintroduce things or not? Go another Whole30 on whatever meds I get and then see? Take it to the Whole90?

So many scenarios/variables. I know there isn't one right answer and it's different for everyone but I could use guidance.

I do not have an autoimmune condition but my mother and sister do. I am however sensitive to eggs. I would continue on your Whole30 and instead of reintroducing dairy, grains, legumes, etc. maybe try introducing one of the other AIP problematic foods.

The Paleo Mom writes about AIP issues and has a post here on reintroduction:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/reintroducing-foods-after-following-the-autoimmune-protocol.html

I hope this helps. And congrats on going all-in and reaching it to day30!

Tricia

www.expatpaleo.com

I do not have an autoimmune condition but my mother and sister do. I am however sensitive to eggs. I would continue on your Whole30 and instead of reintroducing dairy, grains, legumes, etc. maybe try introducing one of the other AIP problematic foods.

The Paleo Mom writes about AIP issues and has a post here on reintroduction:

http://www.thepaleom...e-protocol.html

I hope this helps. And congrats on going all-in and reaching it to day30!

Tricia

www.expatpaleo.com

Thank you for posting this Tricia. I was just feeling so overwhelmed that I hadn't thought to look on the Paleo Mom's sight even though I've used her as a resource before.

Archived