Swonk it up! SashaySwonk's first(ish) Whole30!

SashaySwonk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1: Day 1 II: Electric Boogaloo

8563127415_ff66cda355.jpg

It bothers me when people point to the internet and say, "Look! It's making us all disconnected and depressed jerks!" Sure various comment sections on popular websites will make you regret that the Mayan apocalypse never wiped out all of humanity. And sure your Facebook news feed can fuel your insecurities as you read about the accomplishments of high school acquaintances. But sometimes the internet is a place where complete strangers readily give you words of support when you've been downed by a slice of cheesecake. Friends and family are contractually obligated to be nice to you in times of need, but there's something extra wonderful about the kind words of somebody you only know through a handful of paragraphs and a 100x100 pixel image.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate it. Really.

Breakfast:

- Mushroom dill soup

- Two eggs cooked in coconut oil

- Cup of coffee

Lunch:

- More mushroom dill soup

- Grilled chicken salad with balsamic dressing

Dinner:

- Side salad with balsamic dressing

- Scallops cooked in ghee and lobster broth with basil

- Sauteed snap peas

- Cauliflower rice

Did I drink enough water?

Unlikely.

Did I get at least 7 hours of sleep (ideally 8)?

...no.

Did I meditate for at least 10 minutes?

Too tired. I think I would have nodded off if I tried.

Days 2 & 3: Motivation

All of last week I was digging a sad, mopey hole for myself (with a spoon. Into some ice cream). I kept exclaiming, “today is the last day of this moping! Starting tomorrow, these peanut butter eggs are gonna be replaced by some dumb carrots or something!†But of course, cut to the following day and you'd find me saying the same thing all over again. Just when it was starting to look like my anti-Whole30 lifestyle might never stop, Moonstruck Cher floated down from the sky, slapped me in the face a couple times, shouted "SNAP OUT OF IT!" and handed me my blood test results from my recent physical. My cholesterol levels had jumped up to 235 mg/dL (two years ago they were 172, and two years prior to that, they were 117). Additionally, my Vitamin D levels had dropped from 35 ng/mL to a measly 9 ng/mL (and I assure you my sun exposure has not changed). I knew my binge eating habits were negatively affecting my health, but it wasn't until seeing those numbers that I realized how badly I've been treating my body. I'm twenty-four. Rather than contemplate my own mortality, I've been committing all my angst to career path selection and hair straightening. I've been going about life believing that death is only for the elderly, famous musicians and people who lived in times without penicillin. But now you're saying that it could happen to me? Lame.

Initially I was convinced that I was only one Oreo away from my heart exploding, but after further research, it seems my HDL levels are high enough to perhaps save me from such an embarrassing fate. It Starts with Food mentions that the ratio of your triglycerides to HDL is the most effective way to evaluate your risk for heart disease and, blessedly, my ratio seems okay. The Vitmain D thing is still weird though... I'll get back to you on that, hopefully before I start forming brittle sparrow bones.

Regardless of how bad or not bad my numbers are, I feel like I have a better sense of what's going on inside my body, and I have a newfound desire for improving and maintaining my health. Binge eating is no longer an option. It just isn't. If I'm going to leave this life before I'm elderly, a famous musician, or I time-travel to Medieval Europe, it had better be for reasons out of my control and not because I chose to eat a jar of peanut butter every day.

Day 2

Breakfast:

- Sauteed cabbage and onions

- Cup of coffee

Lunch:

- Cauliflower rice

- Grilled chicken salad with balsamic dressing

- Apple

Dinner:

- Side salad with balsamic dressing

- Egg cooked in coconut oil

- Ina Garten's Winter Minestrone (obviously minus noncompliant ingredients and with significantly less salt)

- Apple

Ug, no. Getting closer though.

10 glorious hours!

...I will tomorrow. I promise.

Day 3

Breakfast:

- Sauteed cabbage and onions

- Apple

- Cup of coffee

Lunch:

- Winter Minestrone with chicken sausage

- Salad with a pesto vinaigrette

- Apple

Dinner:

- Bison burgers on salad greens

- Sauteed brussels sprouts

- Strawberries

Yes yes!

I think so!

Yeah! Suck it!

Excellent! You will be an elderly famous musician who straightens her hair before time-traveling to Medieval Europe - to eat only Whole30-compliant meals. Believe.

I believe!

Glad your back : ) it's a cracking read.

Woo Hoo! She's back! Keep it up, kiddo. You've got a lot of folks here rooting for you.

Thank you glimmer and martihana60! You're making me glad to be back. c:

Days 4: Strategy

8572756893_a069782edb.jpg

It has become very clear from my previous Whole30 attempts that consuming nuts has only led to trouble. So this time around, I'm declaring that nuts will no longer be a snack option for me. They can be used to garnish or flavor larger dishes, but if I'm ever tempted to nibble on a handful of macadamias, I'll just have to stop and engage in less precarious activities, like shooting up heroin. So farewell, nuts. It's been fun. I'll never forget your coy smile, Cashew. Or your confident swagger, Pistachio. Almond, you were my rock, and Pecan, you are gentleman and a patriot.

Brazil Nut, I will not miss you. You know what you did.

Breakfast:

- Winter Minestrone with chicken sausage

- Cup of coffee with coconut oil

Lunch:

- Leftover bison burgers on salad greens

- Garlic broccoli

Dinner:

- Pad Thai with Chicken (and no soulless yam noodles this time)

- Sauteed snow peas with coconut aminos

- Side salad

- Some blackberries and blueberries

Yeah!

Maybe!

No... but I went for an hour-long walk out in nature, so I'm pretending this counts.

...these peanut butter eggs are gonna be replaced by some dumb carrots or something

SS, I've been so dazzled by your engaging posts and stellar writing that I missed seeing the food you were posting until yesterday. I know it was tongue in-cheek, but your statement about carrots jumped out and seemed a little red-flaggy to me. So, unsolicited advice here, or maybe just a question. You're eating a lot of veg, but are you getting enough fats? Could that be why you're craving nuts etc? I'm convinced that a huge reason I was able to stay on W30 and continue loving it even weeks later is that I loaded my meals with compliant "treats." I did snack when I needed to. I made a trail mix with hazelnuts, macadamias, pistachios, cashews, dried tart cherries, caramelized coconut flakes, gojis, cacao nibs, and put it in 3/4-cup portions in snack-sized ziptop bags. I reveled in avocados. I ate side pork (broiled with a little salt) which is very bacon-ish. I had at least two eggs in the morning. I discovered coconut cream (Tropical Traditions) on fruit (Oh my Lord). I blendered ghee into my coffee. And I also made myself snacks of crudites (bell pepper sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, and yes, carrots,etc) with a little container of homemade mayo for dipping. (Hint; one can meditate while drizzling oil into the processor during mayonnaise-making.) All this fat and I still lost weight. OK, that's all, sorry. I just want you to be satiated and happy and above temptation, and am wondering if having these or other strategies of your own (also Forums have many awesome ideas) might help.

Days 4: Strategy

8572756893_a069782edb.jpg

I can SO relate. I don't have a problem with *nuts* but definitely have a problem with *CASHEWS,* as you can see in my Log. The brazils and pecans and almond slivers are sitting quietly in the cupboard, awaiting consumption one small handful at a time. Haven't dared try macadamias yet. I suspect they are the crack cocaine of the nut world.

Archived