Reintroducing whey?

penotti

Even though I meant to use egg white protein in my pre-workout smoothies (as per the recipe in Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet Cookbook), the d*** packages look so similar I inadvertently picked up whey protein instead and didn't realize I'd been using it until my wife pointed it out. This is my second "accidentally on purpose" re-introduction of dairy, btw...strange but true.

Maybe it's the fact that the whey is in there with black tea, flax seed, coconut oil and misc. fruits but I'm not having any problems so far. I will be replacing the whey with the egg white powder next trip to Whole Foods though. And getting my glasses prescription checked.

The brand is Jay Robb (unflavored) and available at WF, Vitacost.com

I'm fine with the actual whey in protein powder, it's the artificial sugars and flavors that do me in (anxiety, trouble sleeping, restlessness). I've switched to a protein powder without those, and I tolerate it fine.

Good to know, what brand do you use?

So you know though, that Jay Robb contains soy too :huh:

I just checked the ingredients of the whey protein and they don't list soy as an ingredient, although It does contain xanthum gum, lecithin from sunflower seeds and Stevia. I know xanthum gum can sometimes be derived from soy, is that where it is?

I just checked the ingredients of the whey protein and they don't list soy as an ingredient, although It does contain xanthum gum, lecithin from sunflower seeds and Stevia. I know xanthum gum can sometimes be derived from soy, is that where it is?

Then you must have a different kind, I have the egg white protein, which lists soy in the ingredients :(

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/egg-white-protein-unflavored.asp

FWIW.... Every time I start back to " drink" my protein.... I get very tired,sleepy,it's almost like a sugar crash. I also noticed that no matter how long/hard/intense I work out..... Whey/egg/beef/rattlesnake protein always makes me gain a lot of weight .... Not in a good way

I literally stuff myself with whole foods now to get enough calories and its a struggle to stay at 220.... If I don't eat macadamias and raisins and banana and sweet potatoes in addition with my rather large compliant meals every day I start to drop muscle.... It's a great problem to have :) just for giggles I wore my heart rate monitor during a entire 2-2 1/2 hour kickboxing and conditioning session ( really hurt getting punched in the chest with that strap on) and I burnt 2200 calories.... But I know if I went back to shakes.... My body comp would go from lean to fat...

Any whey ( lol) that's just me.....

Fenderbender. Interesting stuff. Thanks for wheying in (sorry...had to go there).

It's a work in progress for me too. I've dropped 11 pounds since starting W30 and would love to lose another 10 just to see how my cycling improves, but I seem to have hit a solid plateau now for going on two weeks. I appreciate the liquid meals prohibition in the ISWF and adhered to that for the W30, but since have read Loren Cordain's recipe books and he's all about smoothies for pre- and post-workouts, so I'm dabbling in smoothies again. I only drink them on workout days, but maybe it explains the plateau?

Also still experimenting with how much to eat before, during and after long intense workouts (like 3+ hour rides). I've always operated on the "calories in, calories out" assumption, like I need to replace every calorie I burn to avoid a bonk. (800-900 cals per hour). So that meant copious amounts of Accelerade and Clif Bars, rest stop food, during rides and huge meals after, with little or no protein. Of course that's all changed since W30 so I'm trying to make sure I eat a good, compliant meal a few hours before, try to eat nothing during (maybe a LaraBar) and a good meal within a half hour of stopping for glycogen replacement. With just water (and/or coconut water) as it's getting a little warmer out here on the Left Coast.

I would refer you to forum member Brad Hefta-Gaub as a good source for some science around fueling up for exercise glycolisis, etc. We've been trading info about cycling, not kickboxing, but a lot of the stuff applies. The W9 Mods know a thing or two also.

So do you now have a permanent impression of your HRM sensor strap on your chest?

Jpk

Loren cordian is great... I love " Paleo for athletes". Great info on the five stages of recovery...

For me... Smoothies turn into food with no breaks and I get in the habit of just skipping a meal when I work a long day and don't feel like cooking real food.... I'm sure they can be incorporated just fine into a routine .....

but mine start off great with one scoop of protein and water ( but I still get that crash feeling) .... Then it's two... Then a little milk...,then all milk... Three scoops,Then add a banana...peanut butter..oatmeal.... Before I know it my smoothie is equal to a Dairy Queen blizzard .... I down it and then I'm starving an hour latter so then i will eat ....

I know its not the drinks fault.... I just choose to eliminate then as they represent a bad habit for me..... And I'm doing better than ever now

Yes brad is a wealth of info!! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with just eating a hard boiled egg? I was a die hard hydrolyzed whey fanatic, for years! pre and/or post workout. It was the only thing I thought was sufficient before a 5a.m. workout, convenient to bring and shake up at the gym, loved the chocolate...

I have been reading many of the posts on this topic to figure what I will reintro if anything, and though I am post whole30 at this point, I have continued to eat 1 hb egg before a workout and 1 -2 hb eggs and 1/3sweet potato post workout. The first time I ate this it was kind of gross, but I have come to really enjoy it and am contemplating actually not returning to a powder. I live near a whole foods, but what is the sense of buying egg white powder when you can eat the eggwhite?

I am not criticizing- I am processing this for my own decision making. Of course I liked the convenience of a shake, but seemingly that's about all a shake has to offer. I fear two things with returning to my old shake- bodily reaction to all the cr*p in it- and let's be real, they are full of junk) and emotional eating, I loved the chocolate. I have learned how to manage mass cooking sessions to prepare my meals for days in a row so adding the extra small bit to prepare pre and post work out meals has simply become part of that regimen.

What is the attraction (if I may ask) with a shake? Other than convenience?

@JenBildman. Each to his/her own...absolutely, and I'm still experimenting post w30, but if I compare my smoothies now against what they were before W30...holy crap I might as well have ordered fries along with! They were more like milkshakes, in fact I would routinely add ice cream or frozen yogurt. Glucobombs in a glass.

Now I use brewed tea (black tea if pre-workout), a little coconut oil or almond butter, some flax seeds, a scoop of egg white powder, a handful of kale or spinach and a half frozen banana. Not too sweet, lots of protein, no dairy, nothing to weigh me down (or whey as the case may be). If I drink it an hour or so before a workout it's enough to fuel a long ride or workout. Sometimes I'll add a little vanilla, or sub in homemade almond milk for the tea or use herbal tea if post workout. I like smoothies because you can tailor them to your own taste, adjust the % of protein, and get a wide array of macronutrients in one sitting. Having said that, I wholeheartedly subscribe to the idea that real food is meant to be eaten, not drunk. So smoothies are only for pre/post exercise never as meal replacements.

As to the virtues of hard-boiled eggs...I'm a huge ova fan and eat at least one or two HB/day, and usually 2 or 3 for Meal 1. Love 'em in Cobb salads, mostly as quick protein. Between my wife and it just might be more cost effective to build a chicken coop. Seriously.

Archived